Canon MX882 6c10 error, next steps?

grvwlkr

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX882
Ok - I have read all there is on this silly ink absorber error.

I have cleaned ink from those clear tabs, soaked any excess ink up from all sponges, and have logged into service mode and used the Service Tool v3200 (as well as earlier versions) to reset the Absorber D=0.000 and DF=01000. EPROM printouts confirm it.

I am still getting this error when attempting to print normally. Does anyone know what else there is to do except throw this thing in the trash? Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sounds like your having fun with your printer then, so before you dump it in the thrash let’s try a few thing first.

Now you probably have tried some or most of these suggestions already but we don’t know that so here goes.

Let’s start with the obvious and simplest one first have you tried turning off your printer and un-plugging it from that mains for a minute or two to reset the logic board.

As you have already cleaned and cleared the parking station (Purge Unit) did you check the surrounding area for any sort of debris lying around and please check the underside of the print head also.

Now that you have reset the waste ink counter don’t forget that the absorber pads still have waste ink in them so I hope you noted the D value before you reset it to zero.

Have a go at these suggestion and then report back because I am sure you’ll get even more answers before to long..

grvwlkr

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX882
Thanks. I have checked for obstructions and had unplugged many times since reset. Prints fine test prints from the Service Tool menu.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The printer being able to print from service mode but not from user mode sounds strange, but it has been reported before in this thread about a similar problem: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/mg5250-error-code-6c10.8316/

For many printers the 6c10 error means a problem with the purge unit. The purge unit has one or two position sensors that might be optical or mechanical. To gain access to the purge unit you will need to remove the cover of the printer, but I don't know how to disassemble this printer.

I don't know what is the problem with your printer, but maybe you find some useful info here: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-ip4600-error-c000.8390/

grvwlkr

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX882
Thanks for the additional leads, but so far nothing has worked. I have the service manual for the MX870, and it reports the following possible issues:
(1) Foreign material or paper debris around the purge drive system unit; remove foreign material. (2) Cable connection (3) Part replacement: Purge drive system unit, Logic board.

I think #1 is not the issue. And i don't know what cable issue there may be - it won't print wireless or by USB without raising the error. It probably needs part replaced, which is unfortunate..