Canon Ip4600 Error C000

BorealisPrimus

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4600
About 4 months ago, I upgraded my dad's PC from XP to Windows 7. I successfully installed his iP4600 and everything seemed to be OK, except when an ink cartridge ran out, we got a C000 error. Changing the cartridge fixed this.

Over the last couple of weeks, the printer has refused to print at all. When we turn it on, it immediately comes up with the 21 alternate flashes for error C000. I've changed all the ink cartridges and they are now either full or very nearly full. As he only uses genuine Canon ink cartridges, I know that it's not down to incompatible inks.

Every now and again, I can manage to get it to print one page, but it then goes back to the alternate power/alarm flashing sequence.

I searched the internet and managed to find an iP4600 service manual, which suggests that C000 refers to "Drive was not switched properly", caused by either:

1) Foreign material or paper debris in the drive switch area - remove foreign material

or

2) Part replacement - Purge drive system

As far as we know, this printer has never jammed, so I'm thinking there may be a mechanical fault here. Does this sound terminal or is it possible to fix? I have e-mailed Canon tech support but I'm not hopeful!

Apologies for rambling on, but I'm really scratching my head here and any advice would be useful.

Cheers,

Borealis

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You find a thread about a similar problem here: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-ip3600-21-orange-flashes-yes-21.7460/

As the purge system is mentioned as one of the suggested replacements, you could try to clean the purge unit using Q-tips moistened with water, making sure parts intended to move are not stuck by old ink. For better access to the purge unit you will have to remove the cover of the printer, see post #5 in the linked thread for disassembly instructions.

I once had a problem with the purge unit in a Canon Pixma 4000 being stuck by old ink. After cleaning the Pixma 4000 was OK again.

BorealisPrimus

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4600
Thanks for the fast response Peter. I'd looked at that thread but wasn't sure whether it was the same root cause generating the error code.

Although I'm an experienced PC system builder, this is the first time I've encountered a printer problem that requires disassembly. I do have an English language service manual, so I may be able to give it a go.

I've never disassembled a printer before, so I'm not entirely confident I'll be able to successfully reassemble it in working order!

Borealis

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You don't need to completely disassemble the printer, you need only remove the top part of the casing. The druckerchannel disassembly instruction is a good supplement to the service manual, even if the Google translation is less than perfect. You can click the images in the instruction to enlarge. Click the "Schliessen X" in the upper right corner to close the enlarged image. If you read German, the original instruction is much better than the Google translation.

I think you have nothing to risk taking the printer apart, even if I cannot guarantee that a cleaning of the purge unit will do any good, as the printer is useless now. Forget about Canon service, the cost of repair and possibly shipping will far exceed the cost of a new printer.

I have had various Canon printers, among them the very similar iP3600, installed and working in both Win XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 without problems, so I am sure the problem is not software related. That the error occurred after the OS upgrade must be a coincidence.

BorealisPrimus

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4600
Thanks for the information. If I've only got to remove the top casing, then there's a chance that I may be able to get it apart and back together again. I'm expecting Canon to either quote me a ridiculous service cost or just tell me it's had it.

I'll let you know what the outcome is in due course!