Canon MP830 won't print clearly/not all the way

krouchchocolate

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I see a rubber rectangular box with a small hole in it. On the big square purge pad, there was a porous pad but on the rectangular one there wasn't one.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
krouchchocolate said:
I see a rubber reticular box with a small hole in it. On the big square purge pad, there was a porous pad but on the rectangular one there wasn't one.
I am wondering whether a piece of foam may do the job temporarily until a replacement purge pad may be found!

I am thinking about those foam used in the door/window weatherstripping. It is porous and it can hold some ink. But it is not as hard as the purge pad. The challenge is to find a weatherstripping with the same thickness as the purge pad. If you are planning to cut a piece of foam to proper thickness, make sure you clean (vacuum) the cut surface well so that no foam particles may fall in the hole at the bottom of the purge pad holder.

Disclaimer: I have not done this myself. Do it at your own risk. If you do not want to spend money on a new purge unit, this may be a cheap way to try before writing-off your printer.

h2-storm-door.jpg

After seeing this picture, the weatherstripping foam may not be a good choice because it has glue on one side. May be the wrapping foam material is a better choice.

foamWrap.jpg

krouchchocolate

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am going to ask the people at the canon service facility to see if they have any extra porous purge pads from doing recent warranty work. Does the porous purge pad have to be to my exact printer model, or will any fit as long as i can cut it down to size??

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The same pads may fit several different printers. Generally speaking, if they use the same print head, they will use the same purge pads.

I don't think you will be able to trim an oversized pad. They seem quite brittle.

krouchchocolate

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I went by the local canon facitlity and they sold me this ink absorber pad, but it was the wrong one. It did not feel like the other porous purge pad that I already have in my printer. The one they gave me was more of a thick cotton feel. I will be going back to them to see if they can provide me another one. Luckily the one they sold me was cheap.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The ink absorber pads are very large and the purge pads are very small. How could they confuse the two? I don't think they sold you the wrong ink absorber pad, I think they sold you an ink absorber pad when they should have sold you the purge pad. However, other people have gone this route before and it will likely turn out that Canon does not sell the purge pad separately but only as part of the purge pump unit.

krouchchocolate

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
The ink absorber pads are very large and the purge pads are very small. How could they confuse the two? I don't think they sold you the wrong ink absorber pad, I think they sold you an ink absorber pad when they should have sold you the purge pad. However, other people have gone this route before and it will likely turn out that Canon does not sell the purge pad separately but only as part of the purge pump unit.
dang that sucks. They screwed me over. hahaha. Hopefully they have some old printers laying around, and perhaps they will just give me the purge pad. I am anxious to see if this is the problem!

krouchchocolate

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
well guys. I took apart my printer, and it wasn't too bad. I found the small rectangular purge pad, so i installed it back into it's original location. After I had reassembled the printer, i did a print nozzle check. The black did somewhat come back, but it was still missing a lot of lines. So I try to purge my pad with windex multiple times, but it doesn't seem like there is a pool building up. It seems like the windex just gets sucks down right there on the spot. Does anyone know why this happens? I did the same windex method with my MX850, and the pool built up was there.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have found that if the Windex that you put on a purge pad drains away immediately, you can do a nozzle check and then it won't drain away.

BTW, you should clean your purge pad outside of your printer before installing back in the printer. Soak it in Windex, don't just run tap water over it. After you think it is clean, put it to your lips and see if you can easily suck air through it. If you can't, you need to soak it some more in Windex. Then before you put the purge pad back in its rubber cup/holder, clean as much ink out of it as you can with cotton swabs. When you put the purge pad back in the cup/holder, place it so that the corner that is notched out goes in the left rear position.

Kardell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My printer is IP3600. This printer is doing preparations for printing far too long and wastes a lot of ink during this procedure.
I have experienced the same issue. PGBK is somehow clogged. All other colors including dye black looks ok. I reffiled my carts with Hobbicolor. I think I allowed the printer to stay unattended for too long, that's why pigment dried out. But after cleaning no improvements. Horizontal lines are still visible in the "black box". I think there is something wrong apart from cart, I suspect print head. :/