Canon MP830 Not Printing Text

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My Canon MP830 is not functioning properly.

1) Recently I noticed that web pages that had printed perfect before (eg PayPal) were now missing text/images at the right and/or left margins. The margins were set at the least possible value for months. The page layout was set to Fit-To-Page. Any changes to these parameters do not fix the problem Page Size is Letter with Media Type set at Plain Paper.

2) Today I noticed that web pages did not print even close to what Print Preview showed unless Page Layout was set to Fit-To-Print. If set to Normal-size Printing, it appeared that some of the text was missing. This might be due to the way some web pages are constructed and not a problem with the printer per se, but it was odd nonetheless.

3) Stranger yet was that when Copying a document with the scanner, nothing was printed out. This malfunction occurred with either the Black or Color button selected on the printer.

4) Even worse was that text was not printing at all from either a word/notepad document. When I try to Print Test Page from the Printer Properties window, all that is printed is the colored Windows emblem/flag but no text at all.

5) Printing DVD covers using Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker worked fine, but these were graphics only (jpg's).

6) A Nozzle Check was missing all of the PGBK portion.

7) A Print Head Alignment resulted in error USB001:

"An error occurred during automatic printhead alignment.

The print head nozzles may be clogged. Execute cleaning on the Maintenance tab of the printer driver and
reexecute print head alignment."

8) I had been using Hobbicolors PGI-5 Pigment Ink refill ink for the past 2 weeks . Before that, I used only OEM Canon PGI-5 ink. The Hobbicolors ink was injected into an unpurged OEM Canon cartridge that had been capped and stored for about 3 months. This was the first time that cartridge had been refilled. The refilled cartridge is still nearly completely filled with the Hobbicolors pigment ink.

9) I decided to swap the refilled cartridge for a new OEM PGI-5. After two Cleanings there was no change, so I did a Deep Cleaning which resulted in the PGBK now printing on the Nozzle Check, albeit imperfectly. Another regular cleaning gave only a slight bit more improvement. A second Deep Cleaning resulted in a very good Nozzle Check, with some banding in the solid vertical bars alongside the PGBK text. The lattice-like printing appeared excellent. Additionally, the Print Test Page and text documents from Word and Notepad print again as does the copying function with the scanner. The quality of the text - less banding or stripes and more solid black - improves as I continue to print.

Thinking about it more, I do recall text from a MS Word document looking less black and more grayish a couple of days ago, but I thought it might have been the file data and not the printer --- probably rationalizing the poor text output considering what I know now.

Could there have been poor ink flow from the refilled cartridge causing ink starvation or was there plugged-up ink in the printhead? Was the problem related to refilling an unpurged but 3 month old (capped) cartridge that dried out a bit and inhibited ink flow? Was there an issue with the Hobbicolors ink? Or is my printhead on the way out?

Are there any limitations as to how many regular cleanings and deep cleanings one can do without harming the printer? Should one space out how often these cleanings are performed and if so then how much time should elapse before performing another, particularly the deep cleanings?

Lastly, why are web pages no longer fitting on the paper when printed? This is a separate issue from the ink starvation problem, to be sure, but still a hassle. I have now uninstalled and reinstalled the printer drivers and will see if that helps.

I welcome opinions or observations on these issues.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Old PGI-5Bk or BCI-3eBk cartridges should be treated prior to refilling to moisten the sponge. You drip about 20-25 drops of my well-known solution into the ink outlet opening (take care that the drop has been completely absorbed before you put another one). Put it aside for a few hours to let the solution do its work (best in an airtight food box). After that you refil your cartridge.

It works for me even on very dried out cartridges. I prefer KMP pigment black ink to Hobbicolors UW-8 PMPT ink, because the black is blacker (not merely a deep dark gray) and it does not rub af the paper even with highlighter pens.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Pharmacist:
Please point me to the post with your "magic solution" for wetting the pigment ink cartridges. I remember it when you first posted it, but can't find it right off. Did it have something to do with glycerin? I am finding that purged and completely dried BCI-3e cartridges aren't absorbing ink into the sponge very well. Think that fellow poster "jru" could make use of it also.

Steve W.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Stratman,

If you still have the refilled cart, try blowing into the vent port with the exit port uncovered. If ink drips normally, the cart probably wasn't the problem; if it takes a lot of pressure to get the ink to drip, the cart was probably clogged and starving the head for ink.

I know that some say that it is OK to change inks without purging a cart, but I recommend a purge to avoid possible incompatibility issues.

Just a thought on the web page issue - Is it possible that your browser was automatically updated and that the updated version functions differently from the original?

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
stratman,
Aside from the ink situation....

Sounds like it could be a driver issue.
You could check in Device Manager for any conflicts (yellow flags)

If so, you could try uninstalling your printer driver, shutdown and then let Windows reinstall the device.
If that doesn't help and it were mine, I would completely delete the old driver set and reinstall the printer with new drivers. Check Canon for newer drivers.
Be sure to follow Canon's install procedure with the new drivers.

Edit:
Grandad makes a good point in #4...you could try printing from a different browser.
But the USB001 error...that's Windows telling you that there's something wrong at that location, which apparently is the "virtual" USB port created for this printer.
A driver refresh will rebuild a virtual port and fix any driver damage/decay that may have occurred to over time.
A defrag, disk cleaning, added S/W or added H/W can bork a driver.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
pharmacist said:
Old PGI-5Bk or BCI-3eBk cartridges should be treated prior to refilling to moisten the sponge. You drip about 20-25 drops of my well-known solution into the ink outlet opening (take care that the drop has been completely absorbed before you put another one). Put it aside for a few hours to let the solution do its work (best in an airtight food box). After that you refil your cartridge.

It works for me even on very dried out cartridges. I prefer KMP pigment black ink to Hobbicolors UW-8 PMPT ink, because the black is blacker (not merely a deep dark gray) and it does not rub af the paper even with highlighter pens.
While refilling the cartridge I slowly injected ink onto the sponge as I slowly withdrew the needle from the cartridge. Then the cartridge was immediately placed in the printer and used to print a few pages. It worked well initially. This was the first time I had refilled a PGI-5 cartridge.

The Hobbicolors pigment ink seemed to function well, even with a highlighter, although maybe I was just using up the residual OEM Canon ink until my issues began.

What is your "well-known solution"?!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Grandad35 said:
Stratman,

If you still have the refilled cart, try blowing into the vent port with the exit port uncovered. If ink drips normally, the cart probably wasn't the problem; if it takes a lot of pressure to get the ink to drip, the cart was probably clogged and starving the head for ink.

I know that some say that it is OK to change inks without purging a cart, but I recommend a purge to avoid possible incompatibility issues.

Just a thought on the web page issue - Is it possible that your browser was automatically updated and that the updated version functions differently from the original?
I tried blowing through the Durchstich hole and got more of a splatter than a drip from the cartridge's ink exit port. Squeezing the cartridge's side walls did not produce any dripping.

I have several empty PGI-5 cartridges and will try purging one first and then refilling.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jflan said:
stratman,
Aside from the ink situation....

Sounds like it could be a driver issue.
You could check in Device Manager for any conflicts (yellow flags)

If so, you could try uninstalling your printer driver, shutdown and then let Windows reinstall the device.
If that doesn't help and it were mine, I would completely delete the old driver set and reinstall the printer with new drivers. Check Canon for newer drivers.
Be sure to follow Canon's install procedure with the new drivers.

Edit:
Grandad makes a good point in #4...you could try printing from a different browser.
But the USB001 error...that's Windows telling you that there's something wrong at that location, which apparently is the "virtual" USB port created for this printer.
A driver refresh will rebuild a virtual port and fix any driver damage/decay that may have occurred to over time.
A defrag, disk cleaning, added S/W or added H/W can bork a driver.
Device Manager is good. The only thing recently added or installed is a new monitor. No known problems with virii or trojans. Disk is cleaned regularly but it's been a several months since the last defrag.

Thinking of potentially corrupted drivers, I reinstalled the printer drivers last night and briefly tried printing a couple of web pages. One sight had slightly squished top and bottom margins - the top or bottom of the sentence was cut off - but the other page appeared to be printing fine. I need to try other pages before determining if the new reinstall fixed the problem.

The USB001 error said the problem may be a clogged print nozzle, which it appears was the problem. Funny that I don't see that error code in either the User Manual or the Service Manual after a quick search.

Next up is potential repair/reinstall of Windows. If the printer drivers were broken then maybe something else is too. I had recently had an error on shutdown concerning the Hive, which was replaced by an older file. Something is not well in whoville. Funny that the only operational issue would be the printer... so far.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
cartridge cleansing/conditioning solution:

3 % propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerine)
20 % isopropyl alcohol
distilled water up to 100 %

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
stratman said:
The USB001 error said the problem may be a clogged print nozzle, which it appears was the problem. Funny that I don't see that error code in either the User Manual or the Service Manual after a quick search.
At first glance it sounded like a Windows error report...so this was an error report on the printer's LCD ?

Next up is potential repair/reinstall of Windows. If the printer drivers were broken then maybe something else is too. I had recently had an error on shutdown concerning the Hive, which was replaced by an older file. Something is not well in whoville. Funny that the only operational issue would be the printer... so far.
Before doing a repair install, you could try running a checkdisk (chkdsk) and/or the System File Protection service.
Don't know which OS, this is XP:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13535