Canon MP780 question

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Romakpect,.... I would suggest that you never take your new printhead apart again. If you print as much as you say you do, you need to keep the head clean. Printing will keep the ink inside the printhead wet, put with all the printing you do, your ink carts are going to have problems. At one point you mentioned eBay ink, but if you really want to maintain your printer in top condition, then you have to refill your own ink carts with top quality ink. There are several that many of the ink masters on this site recommend. I use PrecisionColors.com. You can clean the printhead fomr time to time by taking it to the sink and rinsing all of the ink out of it with WARM water (Not Hot). Rinse the top and the bottom until you can't get any more ink out of it. Then use an air compressor to blow all the water out of all parts of the printhead and make sure it is dry. Put it back in your printer and run a couple of cleaning cycles and nozzles checks until all patterns are good. Always make sure you have good ink carts and adequate ink flow. Most of the times that is the source of the beginning of a clog. After you have refilled your ink carts 5-6 times (and these are original Canon Ink Carts), I suggest that you clean the ink carts to totally refresh them. Then you can refill them with new ink and your are good to go again for 5-10 fillings. Get yourself a backup ink cart for you Black Pigment Ink so that when you need to clean the ink cart you will have something to use. I would also suggest that from time to time you need to clean your Purge pads. Those pads accumulate a lot of ink and if any part of the purge unit gets clogged your printhead will end up clogged. This is because the purge unit is the primary source to "Prime" the printhead with ink. If it is not primed correctly, it will not print. ---- no ink in printhead--- no ink on paper.

There are several suggestion on this web site on how to clean a Canon ink cart. Some use tools but I do it the simple way. I start with ink carts that I have modified for refilling, and as such they have a hole in the top. I just place the ink cart in the sink and run the facuet water directly into the fill hole. The ink is flushed out of the bottom of the cart and out of the air intake hole. Gradually all of the ink will be forced out. I also turn the cart over and direct the stream onto the exit port of the so that any accumulated ink will be cleaned out. Then I use an air compressor to blow all the water out of the ink cart and then I let it dry on a paper towel for a day or more. After that I can refill it with new ink and it is good to do.

Since you use your printer for so much work, you need to take much better care of it if you want it to last. According to the Service Manual the Product life for the MP780 is Printing 18,000 pages and scanning 15,000 pages or a total of 5 years,..which ever comes first.