Canon MP730 does not power up

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Few weeks ago, I got a Canon MP730 multifunction from a local recycle group member. When I got it, the print head was at the center position. LCD displayed "wrong cartridge" message. I knew that I need to find a replacement print head. So, I powered it down and let it park the printhead.

Yesterday, I purchased a $5 iP3000 which has the same printhead as the MP730.

Today, the Canon MP730 does not power up. I think the bad printhead causes the MP730 from powering up. It is locked at the parked position. I cannot move the printhead to center. Is there any easy way to unlatch the printhead without taking the case off?

The power supply on MP730 is located at the bottom of everything and there is no access from the bottom like the newer model. I have not check the power supply.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't know how much commonality there is between the MP730 and the later MP780 printers (they look significantly different and have different print heads), but of the several MP780's that I have experience with, when one of them won't power up, there is no way to fix it, even if it was caused by a bad print head. Replacing the power supply made no difference.

I think you better start using your iP3000.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
A permanently parked print head was the end to my ip4600. There was nothing I could do even manually unlatching it it would immediately latch itself as soon as the print head moved to the park pads. I don't think it's worth salvaging the printer if it already has hardware problems beyond just a bad print head.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
A reminder warning regarding any canon printer , (that has a seperate print head) that has died in these circumstances , i.e reason " unknown " . Consign the printhead to the trash along with the printer chassis. Do not retain it to "try" in another printer , or you will end up , (very probably) , with another dead printer .! Trust me it has happened to me twice. !

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Except in this case of the printer displaying "Wrong Cartridge", which really means "Defective Print Head", there is little risk of putting in a working print head or putting one of these print heads into another printer. I have half a dozen "Wrong Cartridge" print heads for the MP780 that I can put in any of my printers with no problem. I have done it to see if they will start working again--which they don't.

In the future, whenever you plan to remove a defective print head from a printer, or if you can get it to come on momentarily, turn it on and as soon as the print head moves off its park position, pull the power cord so that it doesn't have time to move back to the park position.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr, I agree with your above observations , but it is no longer showing " wrong Cartridge"

It is my understanding from reading this thread again that the reason for not powering up is "unknown". The reason for not working fully before was " wrong cartridge" . It would agree that if it can continue to say "wrong cartridge " each time on the LCD in any printer there is little risk. I did intend to limit my warning to printers that will not power up for any obvious reason , the reason here may not be fully known , hence my warning.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the warnings and comments.

If I ever get it back to "wrong cartridge" message, I will try my $5 print head from the iP3000. Otherwise, I will let it rest in peace.

When I have time, I will disassemble it to take out the print head and determine whether it will power up or not.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I disassemble the MP730. Manually turned the print head locking gear clockwise. Moved the print head to center. Removed the print head. It powered up again. But the power went out a few seconds after I put back the print head. I will take this to recycle depot.

This is the first time to see waste ink pad full of ink. It is a messy job to replace the pad.

FYI:
The print head locking gear is on the right edge of the printer mechanism next to the print head. Rotate it clockwise until it stop turning to unlock the print head.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
At least we now know that sometimes a printer that will not power up can power up if you remove the print head. Does it give you an error message about putting in the cartridge or print head and does it stay powered up if you don't put back the print head? If so, it would be interesting to know if a new print head would get the printer working but that will risk more than the value of the printer. I do have a print head from an iP3000 of unknown condition. Are you located in the US and would you like me to send it to you so you can try it out?

BTW, you should remove and save the rubber seals on the top of the bad print head.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
At least we now know that sometimes a printer that will not power up can power up if you remove the print head. Does it give you an error message about putting in the cartridge or print head and does it stay powered up if you don't put back the print head? If so, it would be interesting to know if a new print head would get the printer working but that will risk more than the value of the printer. I do have a print head from an iP3000 of unknown condition. Are you located in the US and would you like me to send it to you so you can try it out?
Without the print head, MP730 displayed "Put in cartridge" message. I did risked the print head from my $5 iP3000. It turned off the display and lights after a few seconds. Fortunately, the print head is still working.

BTW, you should remove and save the rubber seals on the top of the bad print head.
Good idea. I am thinking of cleaning and keeping the purge unit too.