Canon MP610 - custom paper size

Jerry1111

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very happy with my new MP610 (was difficult to get - no stocks). After something like 200 photos (4x6) I noticed small smudging. I've done bottom plate cleaning, cleaned insides manually, but the smuging kept coming back after 10-20 prints. Now I know what's the reason: paper I'm using is 100x150mm, and paper which was set in the printer driver was 6x4 (101.5x152.4mm). Those additional 2mm on the long edge are probably making problems - a lot of ink is printed in the 'air' (onto the 'borderless sponge').

The big surprise - I'm NOT ABLE to change the paper size for borderless printing. I can choose 'custom size' only for bordered prints (it disapears from paper size list as soon as I tick borderless tickbox).

Is there any workaround? I've checked the manual, done some google search, but couldn't find anything.

Best Regards,

Jerry1111

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
What you can do is use a piece of paper towel and absorb the ink from the overspray sponge. After a while even the plastic covering is smudged with ink and this ink gives you the problem. So after 10 prints press the paper towel on the area of overspray and remove any stains on the plastic housing. Also reduce the amount of overspray to 1 one level from the left (not the minimum, because the chances are great you will end up with a tiny stripe of white unprinted area on your prints).

Jerry1111

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
What you can do is use a piece of paper towel and absorb the ink from the overspray sponge. After a while even the plastic covering is smudged with ink and this ink gives you the problem. So after 10 prints press the paper towel on the area of overspray and remove any stains on the plastic housing.
I did just that. The ink is drying overnight and around 10-20 prints the next day are OK. The problem is only when I have to print a bit more (which happens from time to time). Funny thing is that the plastic is smudged with sort of dark-blue ink. No other colors on plastic.

Also reduce the amount of overspray to 1 one level from the left (not the minimum, because the chances are great you will end up with a tiny stripe of white unprinted area on your prints).
With no overspray there is a small margin at the TOP of the print (all other sides are OK). It would be fine for me if not for the margin at the top (beginning of the print). Bloody Canon - I wonder if it's a software or hardware problem.

I strongly believe that changing paper size to correct one in the driver would help a lot. If I can't do anything - well, I still have 2 weeks to return the printer. Please don't misunderstand me, it's a fine printer, no problems, no annoyances so far except this one.

Best Regards,

Jerry1111

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Jerry1111 said:
pharmacist said:
What you can do is use a piece of paper towel and absorb the ink from the overspray sponge. After a while even the plastic covering is smudged with ink and this ink gives you the problem. So after 10 prints press the paper towel on the area of overspray and remove any stains on the plastic housing.
I did just that. The ink is drying overnight and around 10-20 prints the next day are OK. The problem is only when I have to print a bit more (which happens from time to time). Funny thing is that the plastic is smudged with sort of dark-blue ink. No other colors on plastic.

Also reduce the amount of overspray to 1 one level from the left (not the minimum, because the chances are great you will end up with a tiny stripe of white unprinted area on your prints).
With no overspray there is a small margin at the TOP of the print (all other sides are OK). It would be fine for me if not for the margin at the top (beginning of the print). Bloody Canon - I wonder if it's a software or hardware problem.

I strongly believe that changing paper size to correct one in the driver would help a lot. If I can't do anything - well, I still have 2 weeks to return the printer. Please don't misunderstand me, it's a fine printer, no problems, no annoyances so far except this one.

Best Regards,

Jerry1111
You can complain to canon for not allowing you to change printer paper in their drivers. They made this because they want you to use their paper not third party paper.

It's the same problem with custom paper size for panorama prints, paper size is artificially limited because canon does not make panorama paper not because the printer can't print custom paper size you want.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
lNothing mysterious about limited selection of borderless print sizes - look under the area where the head travels and you will see sponge areas at the place where borderless-size paper edges would be (if your printer is essentially the same as my canon 1960 and ip5000). These strategically placed sponges accept the overspray. The borderless sizes represent the most used print formats in the US and possibly other countries as well - 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, and 8.5x11 inches.

Jerry1111

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
lNothing mysterious about limited selection of borderless print sizes - look under the area where the head travels and you will see sponge areas at the place where borderless-size paper edges would be (if your printer is essentially the same as my canon 1960 and ip5000). These strategically placed sponges accept the overspray.
I did look - there is one long sponge, so any paper size would be compatible with borderless printing.

The borderless sizes represent the most used print formats in the US and possibly other countries as well - 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, and 8.5x11 inches.
In Europe it's easier to buy 100x150mm than 6x4 inches.

Best,

Jerry1111

Jerry1111

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'll answer to myself - to be archived ;-)

Looks like the only workaround is to play with paper sizes, overspray amounts and margins.
I managed to have just a bit less than 0.5mm overspray on a 100x150mm paper by using 4x6 settings in the printer driver and adjusting margins in Qimage.
Here are my settings:
Printer: 4x6, borderless, Photo Paper Pro, overspray set to recommended position.

Qimage:
Page margins (for ladscape): top=2.5mm, left=0mm, bottom=0.5mm, right=5mm
Size: fit to page, it's showing 'Print Properties (148 X 99).

Best,

Jerry1111