Canon mp560 won't print from large black cartridge

dlc1701

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm in the process of printing several backlogged pages to purge the remainder of solvent through the system.
All I meant was that since "the recipe" (if I remember correctly, I think that's what they called it on the Waltons) worked so well, I was afraid that it might "eat up" the purge pads. I just printed several more pages to push ink through and clean out the solvent.

I hope this helps more people. (If they don't have home brew, I guess some 180 proof stuff would work.) :)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
What ink are you using to refill your large pigment black cartridge?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

zmcnee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi guys! I just wanted to write in here and say that I was also having a very frustrating problem with the pigment black ink not working. I flushed the purge pads and noticed that the smaller thinner one was NOT pooling. So I ran a deep clean, and then flushed it again with rubbing alcohol and BOOM. It WORKED! Printer is back up to speed 100%. Can't thank you enough!

Mr Bigglesworth

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP560
Hi all, I have been having a very similar problem to that set out here with a MP560 printer and can see that lots of really helpful advice has been shared on this forum!

I initially had a problem that when I tried to print grayscale I would get a blank piece of paper come out the other end, and then on doing a nozzle check I got a printout with the nozzle check at the top of the page for your PGI-220 Pigment Black cartridge completely missing, the others looked reasonable.

So I tried a printer purge test and the water I dropped onto the pads pooled quite quickly. They also went after I did a cleaning. I repeated and got the same result so I am hoping this eliminated one item.

I then thought I would attempt a printer head clean, and have taken all my cartridges out (wrapped them in clingwrap to stop them drying out) and dunked the printer head in some iso-propyl alochol to just above the oval pads. I've given it the occasional swish back and forth and it does seem to have dislodged quite a bit of ink.

I can see windex or ammonia being mentioned, but I am UK based and I don't think that this is particularly easily obtained. Does anyone know what the equivalent is here and is this necessary or is iso propyl alcohol?

Also, when I take the print head out, do I need to let it dry (air or hairdryered?), or shall I just shake off the excess etc?

Thanks for any advice in advance. If I've missed out any essential information, please let me know - would be great to resurrect this printer as I've literally just replaced all the carts (all canon carts used, not refilling, but purchasing new)!

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
dic 1701 Good news you have achieved success. What about the red light? has it gone out. If not you may need later to either fit a new OEM/compatible cart or refill the original with good quality ink. This model is not difficult to refill.

Last edited:

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Mr Bigglesworth One cleaner I have used is the one from Lidl W5 I believe none of the UK ones have ammonia in. You need to ensure the electrical portion of the print head is completely dry before re-insertion. I put it on a warm radiator for several hours.

Mr Bigglesworth

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP560
Thanks for the replies, so far after a 2 day soak in isopropyl the nozzle print is unchanged. I found some Mr Muscle in the cupboard which has ammonia in it. I'll give that a go before I check out the W5.