Canon mp560 won't print from large black cartridge

dlc1701

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Please help!

My canon mp560 will not print from the large black cartridge. I purchased a new (canon) replacement cartridge and the printer monitor says that the ink levels are full but when I print text docs, blank pages come from the printer. I can "cheat" by changing the text to a color other than black and get the doc to print with colored text using the colored cartridges.

How do I get it to print black text from the large cartridge?

Thanks,

Donna

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Perform a Nozzle Check and post the image on this thread. Do not perform cleanings, attempt printing, leave the cartridges outside the print head, or take the print head out of the printer unless advised otherwise. Ink is used to keep the print head cool while it prints. Ink starvation can cause a burned out print head necessitating purchase of a new one. A print head left outside of the printer, or, missing one or all its cartridges may promote drying of ink within the print head and create/worsen clogging.

If tried a brand new OEM Canon PGI-220 cartridge and nothing printed then you may have a print head clog, a purge pump malfunction, or some other malfunction within the printer that.

In order to check to see if the purge pump is working:

1) Locate the rectangular pads that the print head sits over when the printer is idle or turned off. Looking at the front of the printer, the print head usually parks itself to the extreme right. The rectangular shaped purge pads, one for the PGI-220 cartridge and the other purge pad for all the CLI-221 cartridges, will be visible (flashlight helpful) because the print head will move to the center of the printer after you lift the cover. The purge pads may be blackened.

2) Using a syringe or other suitable tool, drip water or Windex-D onto the surface of each purge pad until the fluid visibly pools. If the fluid doesn't pool then you have a problem with the purge system.

3) Now close the cover, allowing the print head to park itself over the purge pads.

4) Perform a cleaning of all colors.

5) Now open the cover and look to see if the fluid has drained from on top of the purge pads.

If the fluid has drained away then the purge unit is working, if not then there is a problem with the purge system requiring a different approach.

Whenever you are working with the cover open and the print head stationed in the center of the printer, be aware that after several minutes the print head will automatically return to park itself over the purge pads. You don't want to obstruct the return of the print head or something could break. So, watch your time and be careful about obstructing the path of the print head for too long. If you think you will be obstructing the path of the print head for more than 5 minutes or so, then pull the power cable after the print head comes to a stop in the center of the carriage.

dlc1701

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I uploaded the nozzle check printout. However, my scanner barely picked up the colored bars. I can tell you that they were all there and of a good intensity. If something else was supposed to print for the large cartridge, it did not.

I tried to upload the image, hope it works.

8489_nozzle_check.jpg

I didn't get a chance to try the rest of your suggestions - might not have time till weekend. You don't know how much I appreciate your help with this.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
dlc1701:

I didn't ask before... is your printer still under warranty? If so, contact Canon.

The image you posted of your nozzle check is of poor resolution but there is definitely one thing completely missing --- the nozzle check at the top of the page for your PGI-220 Pigment Black cartridge! I cannot tell if the nozzle check patterns for the CLI-221 cartridges are normal - no streaks or blocks/bands of missing colors - though your small image gives the appearance of banding, particularly with Magenta. This could be artifact and not representative of the result you see on the paper.

Examples of what to look for in a nozzle check is here . The printer used in the example is a different model but the concepts are the same for your printer. Also, a larger image of what your PGI-220 Pigment Black nozzle check should look like is here . There are no missing lines in the cross-hatching. On this image you will see normal nozzle checks for all cartridges but the Magenta, which is completely missing. In my cursory search, I couldn't find a perfect nozzle check pattern for all cartridges that was as clear as this image to demonstrate a perfect PGI Pigment Black ink nozzle check, so just disregard the missing Magenta for now.

The image you posted is too small and of poor resolution for me to determine if any other issues are present. Please upload another image that is larger than 320px 176px and do not resize it via Nifty-Stuff's options. Cropping your scanned image is good. Using a higher resolution when you scan may help with the quality of the image.

Do check the purge pump function and post the results. We want to isolate your problem as best as possible before recommending what options are available as remedy.

Hang in there.

dlc1701

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I tried scanning the nozzle check on the copier here at work - results no better. I can tell you that the "bars" for all the colors look fine. The only problem is no pattern for the large cartridge. I wish it were still under warranty. I have the worst luck with electronics. I even had a plasma TV that I took extended warranty on a few years back. The blamed thing died one month after the warranty expired.

Hopefully, I'll have some time to try your other suggestions this weekend. I'm limping along printing all my text in blue or purple.

Thank you so much for your help. It's so refreshing to find people that are willing to help each other out of the goodness of their heart. Unlike the other sites that charge a fee. :)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps the nozzle check results are trimmed to the visible results since the pigmented nozzles are blocked.

I think dlc1701 should follow stratman's cleaning instructions ASAP because the more this printer is used the more the blocked nozzles are put to strain.

dlc1701

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Okay. I followed Stratman's instructions and here are the results:

1) When I dripped water onto the purge pads. It was absorbed. from his info:" If the fluid doesn't pool then you have a problem with the purge system." (I thought "this is not good.)

I went ahead and dripped some more water and finished the remainder of the instructions (with crossed fingers):

* Now close the cover, allowing the print head to park itself over the purge pads.

* Perform a cleaning of all colors.

* Now open the cover and look to see if the fluid has drained from on top of the purge pads.

The fluid had pretty much drained before I closed the cover. One thing I did notice that was different...the red light was lit up under the large cartridge like the cartridge was empty...even though the cartridge is new and the ink level system indicates that it is full. Could that be part of the problem??

I printed another nozzle check pattern with the same results as before, indicating that the color cartridges are okay but not printing the pattern from the large black cartridge.

Is there any hope or is my printer DOA??

Thanks for the assistance.

Donna

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It takes more than a few drips to cause pooling of fluid on the purge pads. I used a needle and syringe and squirted fluid until it pooled. So it is unclear to me whether you used enough fluid to show a positive or negative pooling.

One thing in your favor is the similarity of how the pads handled what amount you did drip onto them and that all your dye-based inks are printing fine - if I take your word about the results of your nozzle check. If all true, then it is very possible that the entire purge system is working appropriately. But this is hypothesis since I am not sure you performed the purge pad test adequately.

I recommend trying the purge pad test again and this time be generous with the fluid (placed only on the purge pads and not the rest of the insides of the printer as best you can). That way we can be sure it isn't a purge system problem before spending time and/or money on things of dubious benefit.

---------------------------------------------------------

Barring a malfunctioning purge system, the problem then would narrow to a clogged print head, a partially burned out print head, and/or a malfunctioning logic assay board. The first situation is potentially fixable on your own for low cost while the other two require a significant cash outlay.

Many, many unclogging methods have been discussed on this forum. A search on print head clog would result in dozens of individual techniques. The basics of all are using a fluid other than ink to loosen and flush the dried/congealed ink clog from the print head.

Caveat -- make sure to seal the ink ejection ports of the cartridges when they are outside the print head when you work on the print head to prevent drying of ink. You can use the orange caps the cartridges came with plus a rubber band, or tape (the aluminum HVAC tape is highly regarded but duct tape will due in this temporary situation. Make sure to clean any residue left by the tape.)
One of the most used fluids in this situation is Windex with Ammonia-D, the original formula (not the newer formulations). If you live outside the USA, there is a different cleaning fluid people use - some automotive cleaner. Some people may add water and/or isopropyl alcohol to the Windex. A couple of fluid cocktails are:
Windex with Ammonia-D alone or with isopropyl alcohol
and,
Nifty-Stuff.com Pharmacist's solution recipe:

20 ml isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol)
80 ml distilled water
10 drops of propylene glycol
Ammonia Concentration: to soak printheads externally use 20-25 drops.

Fold a paper towell into a nice thick and even strip and drench it with the cleaning solution and put it under the printhead and let it soak for about 1 hour. After that, execute one cleaning cycle.

25-30 % ammonia: this is concentrated ammonia. If you use household concentration, increase accordingly.

Standard household ammonia in the UK is 9% w/w (weight for weight)
and,
"Art Entlich Formula"

1 part Isopropyl alcohol 90+% (no perfumes, lubricants)
2 parts Original Windex w/ammoniaD (not "no-drip")
1) People have used syringes to force the cleaning fluid through the print head, which may work but also may cause damage if too much pressure is used.

2) Some people place the print head in a bowl with enough fluid to cover the top screens in the print head where the ink cartridge ink exit port sits over (It is the cylindrical portion on the bottom of the cartridge that ink leaves the cartridge by. It is also the location that orange clip you snapped off from the cartridge before installing the new cartridge into the print head.). People then will let the print head sit in the fluid for days. They may gently warm the fluid before putting the print head in it, and rewarm the fluid occasionally.

3) Some people have tried letting tap water from a faucet pour down on the print head.

4) A recent popular method is to soak paper towels in the fluid and sit the print head on top. The paper towels would sit on top of some plate, bowl, margarine lid, or some other containment vessel for the mess that pools. One Nifty-Stuff member (do not recall the name) posted the following recently:
I take the cover of a plastic butter-cup, fold kitchen towel 6 times, and poor some warm purge liquid, recipe from pharmacist with some extra real windex. Push the printhead softly up and down the wet towel in the cover, you can see while you are doing that, the purge liquid coming through where the cart outlet rests on the printhead. There is only 1 mm of liquid on the towel, and I repeat this several times with new warm liquid.
By now you can tell there as many variations as there are people who have tried to de-clog a print head. The most important thing is PATIENCE! It may take several days of continuous cycles of soaking and testing until the clog is resolved. There is no guarantee of success, but people have had success. Hopefully you will as well if the problem is a clog.

If the problem is a burned out print head, then purchasing a new one is the solution. I have found Canon Sales to have excellent prices, the best actually, for older model printers where supply may be an issue at this time. You can search on eBay or elsewhere for pricing and availability. Also, you can call Canon to find out the authorized repair shops in your area and call them on print head pricing. A new print head and you are back printing away like nothing ever happened. The print head model number for your printer is QY6-0073-000. I saw one on eBay for $63 plus shipping.

If the problem is from a malfunctioning logic assay board inside the printer, then you had better be mechanical to take apart and put back the printer (it isn't rocket science but it is overly complicated in steps) or else be prepared to spend well north of $100 at an authorized repair shop. If this is the problem, most people would find a different printer because of the hassle or money factor.

dlc1701

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Stratman, you are the bomb! :)

I dripped H2O on those pads until it pooled. Nozzle check pattern showed a few very light black smudges. This encouraged me to continue.
The next nozzle check had no black smudges. Soooooooooo I put more water on, ran deep cleaning and printed another pattern. Still no luck.

I decided this called for drastic measures, like trying your cleaning recipes. Drat. No isopropyl alcohol in the house.

However, I did have some EtOH on hand (local made - just for medicinal purposes of course).

My recipe: 2Tb of EtOH with 2TB of Parson's ammonia.

Yee Haa! Success!! I'm in the process of printing several backlogged pages to purge the remainder of solvent through the system.

I had already resigned myself to having to purchase a new printer. Hmm. Guess I'll have to put that money toward new tires for my car. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
dlc1701 said:
I did have some EtOH on hand (local made - just for medicinal purposes of course).
You just got my and The Hat's undivided attention. :drool

-----------------------------------------------------------

I did not expect testing the purge pads would fix your issue, but since it seems to have... EXCELLENT!

I take it that you were finally able to print a proper nozzle check pattern?

I'm in the process of printing several backlogged pages to purge the remainder of solvent through the system.
What do you mean by this? Are you continuing to flood the purge pads with your cleaning solution or are you using a spare set of cartridges that have been filled with your cleaning solution?

One more thing... your home brew cleaning solution sounds awesome (for cleaning, not drinking!). I don't recall anyone using white lightning before. If it's good enough to call "rotgut" then it's good enough to dissolve a little ink. :gig Maybe it alone or with the Parson's ammonia is the elixir we've all been looking for - the fountain of printer youth! The irony of pairing sinner (moonshine) with saint (Parson, a preacher) adds a unique touch too.

Congratulations on fixing your printer! :clap