canon mp210 won't print.

leego

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hi.

its the entire printout that seems to of shrunk.

i right click on the page and hit 'print'.

don't know what you mean by application.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Application is another word for program. What program are you running when you do your printout? In other words, what do you click or double-click on to get the image to appear on your screen? Right now you are probably running Internet Explorer or maybe some other web browser likd Firefox. If you copied and pasted the text into Notepad, like I suggested, then Notepad would be the program. The name of the program usually appears at the top-right of the window after a dash, just above the menus. You will probably see "-Microsoft Internet Explorer" at the top of this window. What does it say when you are trying to print?

leego

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i use opera browser.

i simply right click on the page i want printed and click print.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have never used opera except on a cell phone. It reformatted the screen to make everything fit on the very small screen of the cell phone. It was actually kind of like a PDA. I wrote a review on it.

So clearly opera has a mind of its own and you have to figure out how to outsmart it. It may just be attempting to reformat the webpage with its unlimited size and scroll bars that allow you to see anything you want, to fit on the fixed page size. I don't know. Why don't you try printing with the more familiar Internet Explorer so that we can offer more help?

leego

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
it just seems strange that i've always used opera and had no trouble until filling the cartridges. however i will try and print via IE or firefox and see what happens.
:)

leego

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
well i've tried printing the same page in both firefox and IE, and both results are the same as with opera. that mean they were all pretty small.

i have 'word pad', is that the same as notebook? could i use that and paste whatever text i'd like printing? obviously i wouldn't be able to do pictures like that though?

thanks for all your help btw.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
My version of Internet Explorer includes a Text Size menu item under View. I'm not sure if that controls the printed text as well as the screen text but you could give it a try.

It's not notebook, it's notepad. Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/Notepad.

Wordpad is similar to Notepad but it gives you more options that will just confuse the situation. However, you can also paste picture into it, but it often doesn't work with webpages.

leego

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i thought that there would be a feature built-in to the printer that could increase or decrease the size of the actual print?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Inkjet printers are stupid. They don't know the difference between text and pictures. The computer software is smart. It knows the difference between text and pictures. It converts the image into a series of colored dots that the printer then places on the paper. There is no way that refilling your cartridges can have any influence on the way the dots are placed on the paper by the printer and the computer has no way of knowing that you refilled your cartridges so it won't do anything different just because you refilled your cartridges. Whatever is causing your problem is not in your printer, it is in the software in your computer.

The software in your computer may have the ability to change the relative size of the text in your printout or the size of the entire printout. Usually, to do this you want to go to the Properties button after you hit the print button or menu. You can also get there by going to the menu function called Page Setup.

Unfortunately, as I said before, since there are scrollbars on the windows that you see on your monitor, you can have a virtual page that is much larger than either your monitor or your printer paper. When you attempt to print one of these pages, the printer driver has to do something to get it to print. There are several options. One is to ignore the problem and chop off the right hand part of the image. Web browser are notorious for doing this and it is very frustrating when it happens, especially if you don't notice it until after you have printed a lot of pages. A second option is to make everything smaller so that it fits on the page, but then maybe it is impossible to read. It sounds like that is where you are. A third option is to print the window onto several pages so that you have to place the pieces of paper side by side to see everything. A fourth option is to reformat the parts of the window so that everything fits on the paper but not in the original orientation.

I know it is frustrating to endure these problems but you have to appreciate the challenge presented by the writers of the software because they don't know what size paper you have in your printer or what kind of printer you have so they provide many options that you need to explore until you find the one that fits for your situation. And this means that you just have to try different menus and push different buttons until you discoverer how to get the results you want.

Probably the best thing you can do is get someone else who has more experience to watch you as you are doing your printouts. They may realize a step that you are overlooking or an option that you could take that may not be obvious to you.

But trust me, this problem is not because you refilled your cartridges. If you want to prove this, buy some new cartridges and put them in your printer or connect another printer to your computer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Leego..
The problem you might be having could be with the software that came with your printer. Its called canon web print and it is set to shrink you web page to fit your current paper size. Could this be what youre using ?..