Canon Mp210 printing borderless greeting cards.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hat - I believe that the driver settings are required by the construction or the printer under the printhead travel area. Whether the driver or printer construction is "at fault" in restricting the use of specific paper sizes is akin to trying to determine "what came first, the chicken or the egg!" You can certainly fool the printer by using a paper size smaller than the recommended borderless size. It would take a bit of initial trial and error to set up your image, but it would be easy to do. You will end up with some ink sprayed beyond the edge of the paper in the path of the printhead nozzles and under the paper path that is not really designed to collect and wick away the ink as well as those areas that are specifically designed for borderless printing.

I haven't tried doing this as the standard paper sizes the printer is designed for are readily available in the US. For custom borderless sizes I print on larger stock and use an accurate paper cutter. It would be interesting to experiment with fooling the printer on borderless sizes by using smaller paper tnan recommended, but I don't feel like testing the printer's ability to dispose of the extra ink at the edge of the custom-cut paper size.

Macks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it, I think the best bet might just be to use the sizes closest to a5/a6, in terms of trying to print borderless on half of a4 to make a a5 print i always seem to get a 1cm gap of the design on the right side of the page, is this due to the actual printer not being able to do it or am i doing something wrong?

Also i was planning on getting the mp560 but does anyone recommend another printer that could do greeting cards just aswell if not better around the same price bracket?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Macks
No matter what size paper you put in your printer you will always get a small margin on one or all the edges on borderless printing if you are not using the correct size that was set in the print setup.
Its silly to think that it cant be done but Canon inc. couldnt care less, you do 4x6 or 5x7 and like it. :(
The difference as I said before between imperial and metric sizes are crazy, take 4x6 thats (102x153) and A6 is (105x148).
Can someone keep a straight face and say theres a big difference in the two small sizes and the printers were never designed to cope with these great margins bah hum bug.
Letter size is 8 1/2 x 11 and A4 is 8 x 11 3/4 theres no print problem there, but a bigger size difference.
The driver restrictions just dont apply to borderless prints eider, Canon printers also dont do banner prints as we all know.. :(

Macks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah, with the a6 issue im just struggling to think how i would double that up, because ovcourse there are two sides to a greeting card, i was planning on having my a6 cards almost in a tent shape and then the a5 ones stood up normal, I could do the a5 on a4 then fold it in half which is fair enough and then just cut off the white line left, but there are no settings for a5 which would let me print onto half of it and then also fold that in half.
If you get where im coming from.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Macks
You will just have to go with using the A sizes and then trim off the excess, a lot of extra work that could have being avoided by some common sense on Canons part.
You can use PhotoShop or Illustrator to position your artwork and just keep moving it around till you can
achieve the best overall position.
You dont have very much time left to do your Christmas cards, so get printer going good luck.. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
You dont have very much time left to do your Christmas cards, so get printer going good luck.. :)
Geez... no pressure there!

Just how slow is the mail in your parts?

;)

Macks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Aha, im sure i'll have them done in enough time. So do you guys think the mp560 is a good printer to go with? are there any other manufacturers of printers that compete well with canon in terms of pricing, ink costs, quality etc..