Canon Mp210 printing borderless greeting cards.

Macks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys, i recently decided upon starting to create and sell my own personalized greeting cards, the problem is however i cant seem to figure out how to do A5/A6 Borderless prints for the fronts of the cards themselves, I realize the paticular printer i have is quite old and outdated now and definetly needs replacing, i was hoping to get a canon Mp560 which should do a better job with print quality but i still dont know if that also will be unable to do borderless printing to the size i require, Id really appreciate some help.

Thanks again

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Canon's website will list the specifications of the printer including paper sizes and ability to do borderless printing. You could also download the User Manual from Canon or another website found from a search on Google for "Canon MP560 User Manual".

From www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/photo_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mp560#Specifications

* Paper Sizes - 4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10," Letter, Legal, U.S. #10 envelopes

* 11. Supported paper types for borderless printing are as follows: Photo Paper Pro Platinum, Photo Paper Pro II, Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss, Photo Paper Glossy and Matte Photo Paper

The link is for Canon USA. If you are from another country, try looking up your country's Canon website to make sure the specs are the same.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Macks

Your idea to print borderless on A6/A5 is a no go.
Canon printers will only do 4x6 and 5x7; they are the only small sizes that work sorry.. :(

Macks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is there no workaround on this? Can i change settings within photoshop or something to make the printer think different?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Macks
I wish I could say yes BUT sadly no, PhotoShop has nothing to do with it. :(
Its the crap print driver that Canon uses it hasnt gone metric on the small sizes yet.

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
Canon's website will list the specifications of the printer including paper sizes and ability to do borderless printing. You could also download the User Manual from Canon or another website found from a search on Google for "Canon MP560 User Manual".

From www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/photo_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mp560#Specifications

* Paper Sizes - 4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10," Letter, Legal, U.S. #10 envelopes

* 11. Supported paper types for borderless printing are as follows: Photo Paper Pro Platinum, Photo Paper Pro II, Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss, Photo Paper Glossy and Matte Photo Paper

The link is for Canon USA. If you are from another country, try looking up your country's Canon website to make sure the specs are the same.
Based on the UK MP210 driver on my PC, the MP210 (and therefore probably the MP560) will also do borderless on some other sizes:
4"x6", 5"x7", 8"x10", Letter, (as in Stratman's list above, but not Legal and #10 envelopes), plus A4, 4"x8", 89x127mm, 127x178mm, 100x148mm, 54x86mm, 55x91mm, 101.6x180.6mm

Borderless can also be printed on Plain Paper, though the driver pops up a warning that Plain Paper is not recommended.

The trick for printing borderless cards is to use one of the supported sizes, instead of requiring A5/A6. For instance, both 100x148mm and 4"x6" are not desperately far from A6.

Ian

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
One way that I imagine you could do it would be to "program" a "custom size" a bit bigger than the size you want. It might take a little trial and error
but if your custom size is bigger than the actual paper you're using I'm sure that the printer could be tricked into doing what you want.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
IanYY said:
Based on the UK MP210 driver on my PC, the MP210 (and therefore probably the MP560) will also do borderless on some other sizes:
4"x6", 5"x7", 8"x10", Letter, (as in Stratman's list above, but not Legal and #10 envelopes), plus A4, 4"x8", 89x127mm, 127x178mm, 100x148mm, 54x86mm, 55x91mm, 101.6x180.6mm

Borderless can also be printed on Plain Paper, though the driver pops up a warning that Plain Paper is not recommended.

The trick for printing borderless cards is to use one of the supported sizes, instead of requiring A5/A6. For instance, both 100x148mm and 4"x6" are not desperately far from A6.

Ian
IanYY may have solved the print size issue. The USA does not use the metric system, but the UK does.

Maybe installing the drivers from the UK Canon website will either give you what you need, or at least approximate better.

From the UK Canon website on the specs of the MP560:

* Borderless Printing - Yes (A4, Letter, 20 x 25cm, 13 x 18cm, 10 x 15cm)

* Media Size - Rear Tray: A4, B5, A5, Letter, Legal, Envelopes (DL size or Commercial 10), 10 x 15cm, 13 x 18cm, 20 x 25cm
Cassette: A4, B5, A5, Letter

Link: http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro...tionals/Inkjet/PIXMA_MP560/index.aspx?specs=1

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The driver isn't the main issue - It is the construction of the printer, with sponge areas under the paper edge to collect the overspray and direct it to the waste ink pad in the bottom of the printer case. Technically, doing a borderless print requires that the printer "print" wider than the selected paper size, thus creating a bit of overspray beyond the paper edge. Otherwise, the ink beyond the paper edge would just sit under the paper path. The special sponge areas are spaced for each of the designated paper sizes.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The problem is with The Canon driver settings and no other, try fooling the printer with a different size and see.
Differences between A6 and 4x6 are minimal and could be accommodated with no reconstruction of the printer carriage area.
The same applies to A5 because A5 is half of A4 which does work perfectly with the current print driver.
Its not that easy to get paper in imperial sizes in the EU, so Macks would have a problem getting a continued supply of 4x6 or 5x7 sizes.. :|