Canon MP 610 Cyan clogged

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
esp said:
Ok print head has been sitting 2 days and its dry now. I still haven't put it in the carriage yet.

I wasn't sure if I had to have the print head in to see if the purge system works. I decided to fill each pad with windex. I closed the top. Waited , opened it up and only one pad is empty. The one farthest to the right is still full. Now what?
The right pad is for the color ink. You can see the color on your photo. Your color purge subsystem is not working. Continue to flood the purge pads until Windex on the right pad is drained. You may need to leave Windex overnight to work on the clog. Some member had remove the pads to clean the pads and the pad holders with success. Clean the bottom of the pad holders. Make sure the Windex is drained away.

Don't put the print head in your printer yet until you solve the purge system problem.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok pads are clean. I turned the printer on and off then it went through it motions. I opened it up and there both clean.

I just tried to do it again by not turning the power off then on again. I think a better way was to fill both pads, put back the print head and then I close. Then they were both clean.

I put the print head back in I did 3 nozzle checks and the cyan is still streaking and magenta started streaking now also.

Is it time for a new print head?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The streaking is not caused by clogged nozzles but it could be a clog internal to the print head between where the ink enters the print head and delivers it to the nozzles. However, I think the problem is your compatible cartridges. I have had several bad experiences with compatible cartridges that I no longer use them. I refill only Canon cartridges. Read post #3 of this thread to learn more details.

So my advice is to get a new Canon cyan cartridge and see if the problem goes away.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Is the Windex stay at the right purge pads?

Don't give up so easily. Unclogging print head takes time. Repeat the soaking overnight with a column of water in the tubing. Stubborn clog needs lots of soaking. It took 3 soaking overnight before unclogging the MP830 print head.

I understand if you prefer a new print head than spending time.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr--Ok yesterday I also went to Staples and bought Canon cartridges. It is still streaking.

embguy--After getting home I inserted the print head after filling both pads with windex. I closed the top and the pads were clean upon opening. I repeated this 2 more times. It continues to work.

Embguy atm I need the printer for a Human Anatomy Class at college and the color printer is very important because of finals in the next 2 weeks. I have the time just not right now for a 3 day soak. I ordered a print head. When I recieve it I will let this one soak for a few days and try it again. I am by no means giving up. Especially with the cost of the new print head i ordered.

SpideRMaN--The purge system seems to be working fine. I'm happy because after searching this forum and going from link to link I was reading about the nightmare of having to replace the purge system. I also read how it is suggested to do a nozzle check every week if the printer is not being used. Also someone actually uses dish soap a drop I think they add to there ink supply to keep things running smoothly. Not sure if this is recommended but I do plan on refilling my own cartridges.

I hope the issue is the print head and when I get the new one it fixes the problem. It seems print heads are only good for a year?

Where does this windex and ink go after it leaves the purge pad? I plan on keeping the purge system clean.

I saw the modification they do to the epson with a bottle and I have to say its awesome.

I never knew I would be so interested in my printer until I found this forum.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
esp said:
Where does this windex and ink go after it leaves the purge pad? I plan on keeping the purge system clean.
The waste ink and Windex are drianed to a foam pad at the bottom of the printer.

I never knew I would be so interested in my printer until I found this forum.
Yes, it grows on you. Not before long, you will be sharing your unclogging tips.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok I just received my new print head and gave it a nozzle check.. It works perfect.

I guess I will soak the other one for a few days now that I have the time.

I plan on soaking my print pads in windex on a regular basis to prevent it from ever clogging. In addition I will be refilling my own cartridges very soon how can I prevent this clogging for the future?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The best way to prevent clogging of the print head is to do a nozzle check once a week. It will also give you an early warning if there is any problem. Also, leave your printer on all the time--never turn it off. Your printer will do head cleanings when it needs to.

tyminski

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi. I am having a problem with blue lines through my photos -- I did the Nozzle Check and Print Head Cleaning Twice -- but it just stay the same --I then did the deep cleaning -- and then changed the CYAN ink -- and still the same problem. The pinks, yellows and black are fine -- just the Cyan. I did scan a picture of the Nozzle Check -- not sure how to upload it here for you to see. I have had this for 2 years -- and it has always had this problem -- but I never did anything about it --but it seems to be getting worse. Any assistance would be great