Canon MP 610 Cyan clogged

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I took the printer head out and took all catridges out. I soaked the one screen on top where the cartridge sits on with windex. I have been reading on the forum to soak the print head. I only soaked the screen on the top part. Do I need to sumerge the whole print head? I'm not sure of those instructions because the bottom has the ribbon and other stuff and I didnt want to ruin it. DO I take the whole print head in a bowl and soak it?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Don't take your print head out until you have try other unclogging methods first. Please post a nozzle check for us to determine the problem.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried this yesterday also I used the regular clean and deep clean. It works for a little then stops.

Print test

DSC00145.jpg

Soaked it then did the test again.

DSC00153.jpg

Then printed started off good then went bad

DSC00143.jpg

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Warning: Printing solid block of color while the nozzles are clogged is the quickest way to kill a Canon print head.

The nozzles are not clogged. But the print head is clogged. The partial clog is at the channels between the inlet screen and the print nozzles.

Are you using Canon OEM ink cartridges? Compatible cartridges may have flow problem when you try to print solid block of color. Ink flow is not fast enough to meet the printing demand.

Take the cyan cartridge out. Put some Windex on the ink inlet screen. Put back the cartridge. Wait for a few minutes to let the Windex to soak into the print head. Do a cleaning and nozzle check. Repeat this for a few time. Sometime, I have to leave the Windex on the inlet screen overnight. While you are doing this, cleaning the purge system by flooding the purge pads.

If this does not clear the clog after a few days, try my soaking procedure on the post #6 on this thread --> http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4676

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have been using compatibles for a long time. I will try what you said and report back thanks

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ok after doing the above method I would say its about 98 % better!!! But now there is some streaking

Ok I put them in. Did 2 nozzle checks... Cyan is streaking.. Then I did the regular clean cycle then a nozzle check.. Still streaking.. Then I did a deep clean,still streaking.

What should I try next?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Don't wait your ink by doing deep cleaning cycle.

Can you verify that the purge system is working?
If the purge system is not working, no amount of cleaning or deep cleaning will fix your problem. During cleaning, the purge system sucks ink out of ink cartridges through the nozzles. If the purges is not working, the cleaning is not carried out because no ink is going through the nozzles.

1. Open the cover.
2. Flood the purge system pads with Windex. These pads are located on the right hand side of your printer. It is where the printhead parks when idle. There are two of them. The left one is for the pigment black. The right one is for the color.
3. Close the cover.
4. Wait a minute and open the cover.
5. Is the Windex still on the purge pads? If yes, your purge system is not working. Report the result and wait for next instructions.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok I did the plastic tube method again. At least I can get this done while waiting for my ink to come in the mail. I almost have no ink left in some cartridges from doing the deep cleaning. The print head is drying on some paper towels.

You'll see a long strip of pad followed followed by 2 small individual pads. Are these the 2 pads?

DSC00172.jpg

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Those are the purge pads. The square one is for the color inks and the rectangular one is the the pigment black.

Deep cleaning is eating up lots of inks. That is the reason why I do not perform deep cleaning which does not unclog the print head any faster.

Be sure to dry the print head before putting it back into the printer. Blow air into holes to dry the electronics components. Let it dry a couple of days. Be patient.

You can put Windex in the empty cartridges to do testing before the the refill ink arrives. It will help the cleaning too.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok print head has been sitting 2 days and its dry now. I still haven't put it in the carriage yet.

I wasn't sure if I had to have the print head in to see if the purge system works. I decided to fill each pad with windex. I closed the top. Waited , opened it up and only one pad is empty. The one farthest to the right is still full. Now what?

Does this mean the color purge system doesn't work? Or am I supposed to put the print head in first with cartridges then try the Windex on pads to see if the purge system works?

Ok, did a nozzle check and there is still some streaking.