Canon MP 610 cleaning Carts and Cleaning Solution?

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
You know which inks are pigment by which cartridge they go in. The PGI prefix stands for PiGment Ink and CLI stands for CoLor Ink, which really means dye ink and includes the CLI-8BK (black).
It's like you have Esp.. That was my next question which takes the pigment. It worked out great because I was out of the pigment and all of my other colors. I only have a tiny amount of CLI-8BK.

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can you get glycerin in chain stores, or is it something you have to buy online? I found this but I don't think its the same one.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
vallejoboy said:
Can you get glycerin in chain stores, or is it something you have to buy online? I found this but I don't think its the same one.
Click on the "ingredients" tab of your link for what is in the bottle.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I bought my glycerin at a local pharmacy. It wasn't on the shelves. They ordered a bottle for me.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
Nifty-Stuff.com Pharmacist's cartridge flush/conditioning solution recipe:

-3 % propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerin)
-20 % isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 %
How would I break this down in ML ? I'll be making a batch to inject into my empty cartridges.

I just found this

pharmacist said:
Here is my formula which works great for me:

20 ml isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol)
80 ml distilled water
10 drops of propylene glycol
(optional: 10 drops of concentrated ammonia)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Looks good to me!

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I received the the carts from ghwellsjr Thanks again.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to flush them with water but I did. They came out spottless except for the Pigment cart. It didn't come out to clean. Do I need to let the carts dry out before I inject the cleaning solution into the carts?

I wasn't sure because they were flushed with the faucet water and the Recipe for the cleaning solution calls for distilled water so I wasn't sure if the regular water would ruin anything.

Also after I place the carts into the printer that are filled with the cleaning solution do I run a Cleaning cycle,Deep Cleaning Cycle and a nozzle check?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
esp said:
I received the the carts from ghwellsjr Thanks again.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to flush them with water but I did. They came out spottless except for the Pigment cart. It didn't come out to clean. Do I need to let the carts dry out before I inject the cleaning solution into the carts? I wasn't sure because they were flushed with the faucet water and the Recipe for the cleaning solution calls for distilled water so I wasn't sure if the regular water would ruin anything.
If you have "hard" water - a lot of minerals - then flush with the distilled water to decrease your risk of mineral buildup in the sponge over time.

There are several ways to handle the residual water in your cartridges. You could blow on the vent on the top of the cartridge to push some of the water left in the sponge after flushing and then let them dry over a period of days. Or, you could use ghwells ingenious paper towel contraption to wick fluid from the sponge - http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5382 - which will rapidly (minutes to hours) help dessicate the sponge. Or, since the cleaning/flushing solution is overwhelmingly composed of water, you can just flush the cartridges, consider a last step of purging with a small quantity of distilled water, then fill with your cleaning/flushing solution with or without blowing out ecess water or letting them dry or wicking moisture out with a folded paper towel.

Also after I place the carts into the printer that are filled with the cleaning solution do I run a Cleaning cycle,Deep Cleaning Cycle and a nozzle check?
No one can be sure of what is best until you try it. Pharmacist recommended a deep cleaning cycle "to remove stubborn and tenacious clogging." Most likely you will be trying more than one cleaning cycle to clear your clog. Whatever type of cleaning cycle you perform, I recommend a nozzle check after each cleaning cycle to determine your progression.

In order to more easily see the nozzle check results, others have put a few drops of the appropriate colored ink into each cartridge's cleaning solution to give a faint color output. It works.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You can dry your cartridges out quickly with this technique.

If you are using the cleaning cartridges to purge your print head of ink so that you can remove it from the printer and store it, then I would do at least two deep cleaning cycles followed by a nozzle check to see if all the ink is gone. If it is, you're done. Otherwise, keep repeating the deep cleaning cycles and nozzle checks until all the ink is gone.

If you are making your cleaning carts for the purpose of unclogging some nozzles, you're really better off not purging the cartridges because a little bit of ink will let you see if the clogged nozzles are cleaned up. You can always add some ink back in if that is the purpose of your cleaning cartridges.