Canon MP 610 cleaning Carts and Cleaning Solution?

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm interested in buying a cleaning solution and cleaning carts for my current Canon MP 610. I really want to keep up on my preventive maintenance since I have already been through one printhead. I regular run a Test page and drip windex into both purging pads. Lately my Cyan has had some issues very minor but I want to keep on top of it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Nifty-Stuff.com Pharmacist's cartridge flush/conditioning solution recipe:

-3 % propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerin)
-20 % isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 %

To make this conditioning solution a cleaning solution to dissolve stubborn stains: add 5 drops of concentrated ammonia per 100 ml of this solution. This solution has been tested by several forum members already and they are very happy with it. It also enhances the absorption degree of ink into the sponge after flushing, especially with the difficult pigment based BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk cartridge.

Conditioning: after flushing the sponge has difficulty to absorb the ink well and tends to be become a bit hydrofobic (water repellent). By completely immerge and drenching the sponge material with this solution and then blowing as much solution as possible the sponge is revived again. The pigment BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk is the most difficult one and using this conditioning solution improves the absorption degree of your favourite refill pigment ink.

Cleaning: fill a cartridge with this solution (with ammonia) and execute a deep cleaning cycle to remove stubborn and tenacious clogging.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
In the past, I have recommended periodic dripping of Windex into the purge pads to keep the purge lines clean but that lead to premature overflowing of my waste ink absorber pads which resulted in ink leaking out the bottom of the printer just after the printer said the waste ink tank (it's not really a tank, just a bunch of absorber pads) was almost full. At the time, I was using Inktec pigment black ink for BCI-3eBk which I later discovered had a clogging problem in the absorber pads. With most other inks, there should not be a problem and you shouldn't have to use the Windex on the pad as a periodic maintenance procedure. What pigment black ink are you using?

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm currently using Inktec ink if that helps answer the question at all. I also I have no spare carts at the moment and the only thing I want to use these carts for is to fill them with cleaning solution so I can pop them in occasionally to clean my print head. Is there a source to buy empty carts?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I would cease using the Inktec pigment black ink. I have some empty carts if you are in the USA. I will sell them for $3 each plus postage.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I will take you up on your offer for the carts. Do you recommend getting a full set to do maintenance cleanings ?

Also which is the pigment black the CLI-8bk or the pgi-5bk. Also if you think my current ink is not good quality point me to a good quality ink. I would like to go to one place for all my ink needs.

Also its been awhile since this post and your recommendations. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4672 I'm open to try a new ink distributor. This will be the second time you helped me thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have recommended refilling (using the German method) just the original cartridges that came with the printer so you really don't need any extras. But some people like to have one more full set so they can pop in a refilled cartridge any time its needed and some people like to have even more. It's up to the individual. As far as having cartridges for maintenance, I would recommend having one set filled with cleaning solution and another set that has been dried out so that you can use it to drain the ink out of your print head in case you want to remove it from your printer for long term storage. It will take me a week before I can send out any cartridges since I'm going to be out of town.

The PGI-5Bk is the one that uses the pigment ink. If you don't know that, how do you know how to refill using Inktec inks? It's only the Inktec pigment black ink that has the problem. In my preliminary testing, it appears that their pigment black for ink for PGI-220 does not have the problem but the PGI-5BK does. Unfortunately, in the USA you cannot buy just the small bottles of PGI-220 ink, you have to buy the kit that only includes two bottles and it is very expensive. Precision Colors has a good pigment black ink that doesn't have the problem that the Inktec has. Mikling sells it on eBay.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I currently use the german method with great success.

The PGI-5Bk is the one that uses the pigment ink. If you don't know that, how do you know how to refill using Inktec inks?
Not sure what you mean by this?

I have 2 Black colored inks in my MP 610 CLI-8bk and the pgi-5bk. I have never known the chemical make up of the different inks that's the reason I don't know what pigment is. I just know how to match the numbers from the syringes they give and the numbers they go with on the site.

DSC00667Medium.jpg

So I would basically buy ink for PGI-220 and use this in my PGI-5Bk? I also searched that seller name on ebay and it turned up nothing. So I went to Precision Colors online and went to the store they have at ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canon-Compatible.../140360859544?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item20ae28bf98

here is another but doesnt have the BK,its just called PGI-5

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canon-Compatible.../140357463781?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item20adf4eee5

It's not a problem that you will be out of town. Just send your paypal info to eriksp00@yahoo.com with the total amount of money you want for the set plus postage and paypal fees.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Your printer uses the pigment ink PGI-5, AKA PGI-5Bk, when printing text and gives text its deeper black and sharper appearance, as well as "waterproof" ability. (a discourse on the situations that the pigmented ink is used for can be found using Search) Your second link to Precision Colors C1020P replacement PGI-5 pigmented black ink is the correct ink for your printer.

Other quality compatible aftermarket pigment black PGI-5 replacement ink can be found with Hobbicolors and KMP. Some of these inks may be found in the European Union and others in North America. Letting us know your country would help guide you to find the lowest cost ink.

For best quality output, make sure you purchase pure pigment ink and not a mixture of pigment and dye black ink for our PGI-5 cartridge.

esp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I live in Orange County New York. How many refills would I get out of the precision vs the inktec syringe? Just curious because I might order 2.

They have them all in one set also. It will be $6.50 for shipping. So if I order the one bottle that will be $6.50 also. I'm in need of all the whole set atm so I would just order the set.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/6oz-Refill-Kit-C.../200402229292?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item2ea8e7582c

Does Hobbicolors have an online section to order from? or just Ebay? I would like to go to one place for all my ink supplies, are the others colors just as good/better then my present inktec ink?