Canon MG6650 Service mode

ionutz72

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
mg6650
Hello! Have some problems with my MG6650.
I have Error 1700 for ink pad absorber, and now cant accsess Service Mode for resetting ink absorber counter.
I tried several versions of Service Tools, and now I think is permanently blocked Service Mode.
If I try to enter service mode now, after five clicks,the printer is totally unresponsive with only the warning light on and doesn't respond to pressing the on/off button. Only disconnecting the the printer from the mains help to restart.
Can I re-enable access to service mode?
If solve that, have one version of Service Mode usefull for my printer?
Sorry for my bad english.
Thanks for help in advance.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The use of service tool v3600 or older has caused lock up of service mode. This has also happened to me with an MG5550 that is of the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge generation like your printer.

Sadly a newer service tool like v4720, that can be used for service mode operations on the PGI-550/CLI-551 printers, cannot unlock a locked service mode. I read on the web that some clever Russians had figured out to reflash the EEPROM on the logic board of the printer. For this you will need an EEPROM programmer that can do in-circuit reading and writing and for reflashing you will also need the proper code from a same model printer that has not been locked.

There is a Russian website that sells some of these files, but Russia is Canon Region 4 so the files are not suitable for printers from Europe which is Canon Region 5.

If you need version 4720 for service mode operations on other PGI-550/CLI-551 printers then you find a free download of the service tool in this post. For service mode operations on printers newer than the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge generation a service tool like version 5103 or the newer 5204 is recommended. It seems these versions can only be bought on line, no free downloads are found.

Maybe the HEX-dump on an EEPROM info page from a same model printer that has not been locked can be used for the reflash? An example: This post has an EEPROM info print with the EEPROM HEX dump from an MG5450S.

ionutz72

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
mg6650
it's clear. I'm waiting for the next code 5B00 (or which is it).
Do you know how much printing time I will be have?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I'm not quite sure, but I think the 1700 warning means that the absorber is 95% full and printing is still possible. I think the Error 5B00 with the printer locked is caused by the absorber becoming 100% full. So I think you can print approximately 5% more than the number of pages you had printed when you got the Error 1700 warning.