Canon MG5250 ink absorber nearly full

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good suggestion I will keep my camera handy.
jimbo123 is one of the forum's super printer users, refillers, and trail blazers. Consider all his words carefully and follow them in your project to replace/clean your ink waste pads. It will make your life so much easier. :old

Great job resetting your ink waste pad counter! :thumbsup

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
great info from two of the best, stratman and PeterBJ
Peter truly is one of the greats on the forum. You are one of my heroes on the forum for your amazing refilling achievements unlikely to soon be repeated. :bow

Ben 1957

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX926
Does the service tool mentioned in this thread work with the MB5160? I have just purchased this and based on the experience I have had with previous Canon printers I want to be prepared for when the ink pad absorber counter reaches 100. I dont want to have to start looking for a solution when I need it. I would like to know that I already have a solution

If not what service tool will work with the MB5160

Does the method describe in this video work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqMJxYRT3s

Paolo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG5250
:D
Hi to everybody, I am a newcomer, and found here a lot of useful information and tips.
I am trying to reset to 0 the Ink Absorber Counter of a Canon Pixma MG5250. I successfully downloaded the Service Tool v3400 and the Servive Manual as indicated in the discussion (both extremely clear and useful) but I have a problem trying to set th Service Mode in the printer. After pressing twice the Resume button and released both buttons, the printer enter the standard operational mode instead of the servicemode. As indicated in the CanonServicemode.txt downloaded with the tool, “the printer has an additional error that (occurred) before working with a service program, you need to eliminate.”

How can I eliminate this type of error? Can anybody help me with some suggestion? I thank him in advance. Paolo

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Your procedure for entering service mode is intended for use with an older printer series using the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 cartridges. Your printer is a newer model using the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 cartridge series. For this printer series the proper procedure to enter service mode needs pressing the Stop/resume button five times instead of two. See the proper procedure in this post.

Paolo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG5250
Following your instructions, my printer works perfectly now! :weee
Actually the CanonServicemode.txt in the Service Tool Rar downloaded is a little misleading. Quite right the instruction on the post (… press five times...) , which I read too quickly...

Thanks to the whole community, to PrinterKnowledge - Laser, 3D, Inkjet Printer Help (support@printerknowledge.com) for their immediate and kind answer, to PeterBJ for his clear instructions, and to Davebullock for starting this issue (I completely agree with his initial complaints).
"cordialissimi saluti" from Italy. Paolo:celebrate

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Does the service tool mentioned in this thread work with the MB5160? I have just purchased this and based on the experience I have had with previous Canon printers I want to be prepared for when the ink pad absorber counter reaches 100. I dont want to have to start looking for a solution when I need it. I would like to know that I already have a solution

If not what service tool will work with the MB5160

Does the method describe in this video work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqMJxYRT3s

As long as I use Canon printers I still have to see one reaching a full ink absorber counter.
I would handle the problem when it occurs.
The Maxify has a higher built-in page count than the consumer printers.
I am at 20.000 pages with my MB5350.

From what I learned on this forum service tools for more recent printers have to be bought on the internet.
Until now nobody volunteered to check if they work.
Be our guest ;).

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
My former IP3000 would have reached full if the counter hadn’t been resetted.
I purchased the machine second hand. The EEPROM info in service mode said that the total of pages was already 22K but the waste ink was only 001. Evidently, the first buyer resetted the waste ink counter before sending the IP3000 to me. Afterwards, I reached 47K pages before the printhead died. The counter was then at 082.
No ink overspill at all, but when I disassembled the machine in order to salvage some parts, I noticed, as expected, that the pads were fully saturated with sticky ink,

If the counter of my current printers (MB5150/ Pro10s ) reached full, I’d be at a loss on what to do. Service mode is locked in my Pro10s and AFAIK usability of the software tool on the Maxifys hasn’t been tested yet. You're right, not a single Samaritan soul in this forum to volunteer. I'm willing to pay the price of that software tool for somebody else to try on his/her printer. Of course, no liability for damages if something goes wrong.. :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You're right, not a single Samaritan soul in this forum to volunteer. I'm willing to pay the price of that software tool for somebody else to try on his/her printer. Of course, no liability for damages
I have never been shy or afraid to venture in where no one has gone before, so if my good friend Artur5 wants me to have a go then I will.. Where do I sign up me boyo…:ya

emil kristensen

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma mg6250
Hi stratman and PeterBJ you are stars :)
This morning I sat down to attack my MG5250 and carry out the reset method you so kindly related to me.
I had an old WinXP laptop and used my Canon Pixma installation CD to install the MG5250 using a USB cable.
At the end of the installation it offered me a test print and this churned out a test sheet so I knew I was connected.

I then transferred the V3400 service tool to the desktop and followed your instructions to put the MG5250 into service mode.
I started the 'service tool' and executed an EPROM printout.
The ink absorber figure was D=095.7% so I was very close to the printer stopping altogether...phew!.
I checked that the button 'selections' were as in your screen shot and clicked 'set'.
A second EPROM printout revealed that the absorber has been reset and D=000.0 :)

I am now spurred on to dissassemble the printer and wash out the ink absorber pads. (I considered it wasn't worth the effort until I had proved the EPROM could be reset).
So one final question:-
When I started this quest I peered into the printer and could see what appeared to be the two rectangular ink pads directly beneath the place where the print heads 'park'.
One about a centimetre wide and 2cm long under the colour jets and one 0.5cm wide and maybe 3cm long(difficult to guesstimate).
I mentioned that they looked hard and dried up.
However when I look in the parts catalogue (or search online) the replacement pads seem to be a large pack of many unusual shaped (felt?) pads some look quite large.

Does the MG5250 use all these pads?
Or is the pack a set that services many printers and you just use the specific ones for the printer being serviced?

Thanks enormously for helping me beat the obsolescence system, saving my printer from the scrap man, and indirectly the planet.
What a wonderful community spirit you have here :)
Dave
Hi
I have the same problem with the INK absorber, my printer is canon pixma mg6250 so it should be the same
tool, but I can't get the printer into service mode, no matter what I do. The tool gives error 6. which I suppose
indicates that the printer is not online.
The only button on the printer is the on/off , I can press on the location where the cancel-buttom is supposed to be,
but the printer never enters any service mode.
Can anyone help with this printer ? thanks