Canon MG5250 ink absorber nearly full

emil kristensen

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma mg6250
Hi
I have the same problem with the INK absorber, my printer is canon pixma mg6250 so it should be the same
tool, but I can't get the printer into service mode, no matter what I do. The tool gives error 6. which I suppose
indicates that the printer is not online.
The only button on the printer is the on/off , I can press on the location where the cancel-buttom is supposed to be,
but the printer never enters any service mode.
Can anyone help with this printer ? thanks
Hi again
I have overlooked that the tool should be started, before trying to set it into service mode. The power Down While 5 times on resume and the pc on and the tool started, it installed an Extra printer and now it worked. A peace og paper came out With d=000
So it also worked for a pixma mg6250

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the report and confirming that the service tool also works with a printer with sensor fields.

Laurieston

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5650
On this site there is so much knowledge and advice, hence my question.

My Canon MG5650 (inks CLI-551) is threatening to shutdown due to full ink pads. From reading these threads I have downloaded the service-mode software which I understand is the right one (ST5103) - thanks for the link - and worked my way through the "how to access Service Mode" (mine is a 6 press process) but cannot get further. When I press "set" on the software I get an "error 006" everytime. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help pls.

Infos:
  • the software is already running before I touch the printer
  • the printer lights alternate on/off switch and error light as I press the 6 times
  • printer beeps and screen turns on and remains blank
  • sometimes the computer tries to install CanonDevice but this does not work properly (it asks to search windows update, I say yes, but it does not complete, says "No driver found." Where can I find this?
  • I have the original printer install disk, but that does not seem to work.
  • At the top of the software window it identifies printer "MG5600 SN:KJJG58620"
  • When I press "set" it gives error code 006
  • When I click EEPROM to print the levels it offers "Rear Tray, Cassette, Cassette 2" if I chose "Rear tray" or "Cassette 2) - both of which my printer does not have, it identifies error 2, if I chose "cassette" - which I do have - always error 06.
I would be very grateful for advice.

emil kristensen

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma mg6250
Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can help me understand what I have to do to repair my printer?
As a newcomer I will try to follow the 'protocol' at the beginning of this forum.
My printer is a Canon MG5250

1) Printer problem: Message on LCD = ERROR "Ink absorber almost full"
2) first started displaying this message a week ago.
3) Printer is a Canon MG5250 which is an 'all-in-one scanner and A4 inkjet printer.
4) The message allows one to press OK and then the printer then works normally.
5) I have used 'chipped' third party ink cartridges virtually from new and incredibly NEVER had to clean the heads or had any printer errors until now. It is a fantastic low usage printer.
6) I am NOT using refillable cartridges.
7) Following a week of trawling the web, I am led to believe this is a forced obsolescence built into the printer (saved in EPROM) by the manufacturer.
There allegedly is a software 'counter' that monitors the head cleaning operations and 'ticks' up/down a counter which when zero stops the printer working altogether. According to my service manual there is a software 'Service Tool V1.081 shown on page 44 that is capable of resetting this counter allowing the Canon service centre to make the printer work once again.
So...I contacted Canon service team who were very nice but told me that the printer is no longer supported and therefore cannot be repaired.
I replied that the printer is NOT broken and it is criminal to add to the 'sunami' of electronic waste with perfectly serviceable printers just because they choose to stop them working. I asked that as the printer was no longer supported by Canon they would not require their 'service tool' software and would they be kind enough to supply me with link to a copy. (don't ask don't get..lol!)
They say :-
This software is not destined to reset your device in any way and correct the error message you are experiencing, and thus we do not have a link to share with you.
Yet earlier in the same message they say :-
We would like to inform you that only our Authorised Service Facilities have specific software tools to re-programme a printer after maintenance/ service only.

So firstly:-
How long will my printer display 'Ink absorber nearly full' message before it decides it is truly 'full' and I presume stop printing? I checked the absorber pads and they are all dried up!
Secondly:-
How do I cast the secret 'spell' (as my service manual says) and reset this EPROM counter?
I have searched for this 'service tool V1.081 in vain.
My printer is working but with a sword of Damacles hanging over it, and sadly I am the sort of chap that hates to be thwarted by this type of manufacturer's tactic.
Can someone PLEASE give me some advice/help.
Thanks in anticipation.....
Dave
Hi
Printer off
Turn Your pc on with the program running,
then turn on printer by presning power button, do not release power button, now Press the cancel/resume button 5 times. (or rather the place where the cancel/resume button lights up)
it also took me some time to figure this out.
regards
Emil

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Hi
Printer off
Turn Your pc on with the program running,
then turn on printer by presning power button, do not release power button, now Press the cancel/resume button 5 times. (or rather the place where the cancel/resume button lights up)
it also took me some time to figure this out.
regards
Emil

This is the correct procedure, but apparently the service program was connected to the printer:

... At the top of the software window it identifies printer "MG5600 SN:KJJG58620" ...

Laurieston

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5650
Oh dear! What have I done?

Because I could not get any further I searched further on the web and found a site which said that I the Canon MG5650 needed the Service Tool v3400, so I downloaded this and tried it. Seems like OH DEAR! Since I did this there is a change in my printer... When I do the usual press and hold cancel button, press and hold power button, release cancel button, press cancel button 5 more times, etc., etc.. the screen on the printer no longer goes light grey, just remains black neither of the Service Tools (v3400 or ST5103) seem to do anything. And I cannot turn the printer off without pulling the powercable. OH DEAR. It still prints okay, but the threat of the nearly full ink-absorber is still hovering...

Have I fried my printer? Can I reset it somehow?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Oh dear! What have I done?

Because I could not get any further I searched further on the web and found a site which said that I the Canon MG5650 needed the Service Tool v3400, so I downloaded this and tried it. Seems like OH DEAR! Since I did this there is a change in my printer... When I do the usual press and hold cancel button, press and hold power button, release cancel button, press cancel button 5 more times, etc., etc.. the screen on the printer no longer goes light grey, just remains black neither of the Service Tools (v3400 or ST5103) seem to do anything. And I cannot turn the printer off without pulling the powercable. OH DEAR. It still prints okay, but the threat of the nearly full ink-absorber is still hovering...

Using a too old (lower number) service tool blocks the printer for further use of the tool (as resetting the WIC).
ST5103 could do everything on your printer v3400 could, the way around not.

PS: I tested ST5104 on a few older printers. Some functions (as EEPROM save) did not work since the printer did not have this feature, but I could reset the counters.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Access to service mode has been locked by using a wrong service tool. The only way to unlock it is to re-flash the EEPROM on the printer's logic board with the proper file from an unlock printer of the same model.

This takes a special programmer and the proper file to flash. I think the proper file will be hard to find.

Paulspix

New Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5250
Yes the service tool V3400 is compatible with the MG5250 as seen in this crop from the EEPROM print of my MG5250 that was created using the v3400 service tool. D=xxx.x is the absorber counter value. 0 means the absorber is empty and 100 means the absorber is totally full:

View attachment 9193

The service tool can only be used with a Windows computer, you cannot use Mac and Linux computers. The service tool only works with a USB connection, Wireless cannot be used even if the printer has this capability. It is also important that only the printer you want to perform service mode operations on is connected to the computer. No other printers must be connected to the computer.

Here is the procedure to enter service mode from the service manual, slightly edited to make it more clear:

When the printer has entered service mode Windows will probably install a new printer or a "device". just allow this.

Make sure there is paper in both the cassette and the rear paper feed as you cannot predict which paper source the printer will use.

Now open the service tool. Check that "Main" is selected in the ink absorber counter, and "0" is selected in the "Counter value%" setting and then click "Set".
A small window "A function was finished" opens. Close this window by clicking OK. Now click the EEPROM button to get a print that verifies that the absorber counter has been resat. D should now be 000.0 or very close to 0.

Here is a screen shot with explanations:

View attachment 9194

I hope this helps.
I too have had that same problem about the ink absorber being full. So I did exactly as you said to the letter and I fixed it!! Many thanks. Ps once I had downloaded the V3400 I couldn't open it so I searched on the net and found a download called "B1 Free Archiver" which opened it.