Canon MB2350 - unable to replace faulty cartridge

Alessandro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5550
Thanks everyone for helping!
Another method to dissolve ink blockage is to soak the print head with Fairy washing up or Dawn dish washing liquid soap. The soap should be just above the level of the ink inlet ports within the print head (the circular areas where the cartridge contacts inside the print head). Patience is key. You may soak for days. Rinse thoroughly and let dry completely before inserting in printer.
I've found this on the net:
Mix a 50/50 solution of warm water and Windex and place in a shallow container, enough to cover the base of the printer head and ink ports. Leave for 2 hours while agitating the unit occasionally. Remove from the mix and lightly scrub the base and internal ink ports with an old soft toothbrush. Do not scrub the gold contacts but don't be concerned if they get wet. Return the unit to the mix for another 2 hours and agitate occasionally. Remove and scrub again as before.​

Is this a good solution?

Is the one below a good level for cleaning liquid?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/geujx05rsampks1/20161215_154938.jpg?dl=0

I’d hazard a guess and say the fact that the cyan loss was gradual and you continued to use the printer, it’s almost certain that the print head has over heated and is now lost, a replacement head will be needed...:(

http://www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=87

Mmmm... thanks for the suggestion, Is there a way to visually confirm that, now that I've uninstalled the head? (I can post more shots if you like)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is this a good solution?
It might work for some, for other it will not. IT seems there are as many solutions thought of as their are people asking the question. Original Windex with ammonium D is the typical ammonia based cleaner talked about. However, the liquid dish washing soap may be better. There are no double blinded studies done. It is all empirical reporting.

Don't know about the toothbrush angle. That may be a first I've heard about it. The KEY to unclogging a print head is PATIENCE! Soak and soak and soak some more. Flushing first and retrying may be all you need, but for many it is soaking for days that seems to help most. Of course, soaking and flushing will not help a burned out nozzle(s) or electrical failure. These are irreparable. Unfortunately I agree with @The Hat that you need a new print head at the minimum.

If the printer is under warranty then contact Canon.

I do not understand what the image is trying to convey. The level of the solution should be above the ink inlet ports of the print head, the circular areas where ink enters the print head from the cartridges, as I said before.

Is there a way to visually confirm that, now that I've uninstalled the head?
Generally no. Sometimes one can see burned areas inside the print head. Taking apart the print head oftentimes resolves nothing and makes the print head malfunction more. It is a last ditch effort, or one of curiosity, to dissemble it. You can find posts and pictures on the forum about this using the search function.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
To soak the head, just use washing up liquid (Fairy brand) and a little water 1 cm deep, or W5 window cleaner with no water, and if you could drip a few drops of W5 into the ink inlets also.

Leave it to soak for 1 hour, then remove and pat dry the base (Nozzles) and return the head back into the printer, install your carts and do one head clean followed by a nozzle check, now compare the two nozzles check together, concentrate mainly on the cyan.

If no Cyan is visible then there is no more you can do with the print head, it’s time to consider purchasing a new one.

It is very important with all Canon printer to have ink present in the print head always, and when you spot an ink flow issue then stop all further printing and investigate the problem starting with the cartridges, nozzle checks are acceptable...

Alessandro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5550
I'll try the cleaning process first.. the head cost almost like the printer on Amazon, also is no guarantee that replacing the head will fix the problem.

I've controlled the warranty and I'm out of 1 month (suspicious o_O), I've bought two Canon printers in the last two years and both broke immediatly after warranty ending... I'm extremly unlucky

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The problems you’ve had with your printer are not down to the bad quality of the printer or Canon pulling a fast one, its simply down to just bad luck that you didn’t spot the problem before you continued to print.

Two of my printer are over twelve years old, and one has printed 55,000, so watching your printer a bit more closely can make them last a long time...

Purchasing a new head will fix your print issue, and it is very unusual that a new head wont fix your problem, but as you say there are no guarantees.

When you get up and running again try printing a nozzle check before you start your print run, that will give you a good indication that all the nozzles are firing correctly...

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Let it soak overnight, also pour some liquid from the bottom of your cup (where you put your printhead in) over the inlets so that it would flow through from above. You have to repeat this because the upper part can only hold a few ml to flow in from above..

But I have to agree with The Hat:
The printhead is beyond cleaning, at least the cyan channel is probably fried...

PS: as far as I know, canon heads seem to block a whole channel when the amount of fried nozzles of this nozzle row exceeds a certain limit.
Until then overheated nozzles can be "replaced" by working nozzles, because in a new head there are much more nozzles than are actual needed.

Last edited:

Alessandro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5550
ok, thanks again everyone.

Some more questions:
What can happen if I continue to use the printer? Can the other channels become fried too? Can the printer stop printing completely?

And if this is the case, may use it printing in B/W only prevent the damage to the rest of the printer?

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
There is the known risk with canon home printers that a damaged printhead can damage the circuit board of the printer too.
At least after error blinking and error messages this risk may be 50:50...
And there will be no way to proove this except for trying a new head and (a) everything is fine or (b) the damaged printer kills the new head.
(so it would be better to try this with a old used printhead.. if you have one..)

Last edited:

Alessandro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5550
pour some liquid from the bottom of your cup (where you put your printhead in) over the inlets so that it would flow through from above.
Sorry but I don't understand... How do you actually do that?

There is the known risk with canon home printers that a damaged printhead can damage the circuit board of the printer too.
At least after error blinking and error messages this risk may be 50:50...
And there will be no way to proove this except for trying a new head and (a) everything is fine or (b) the damaged printer kills the new head.
I don't have received any blinking or error messages...

So in case the overnight bath doesn't do anything, do you suggest print head replacement (in spite of the price) or going on printing and if the circuit board get burned (the unlucky 50% case) replacing the entire printer with a new one?