Canon laser printer suddenly possessed.

Dazman

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon LBP7100C
Hello,
I have a Canon LBP7100C color laser printer that has been working great for about 7 years...until recently. In the middle of the night, it would turn itself on and then make a ton of clicking noises. I had to unplug it to get it to stop. Then everyday it would turn itself on and make the clicking noise.

THEN, after a few weeks of that. it started just turning itself on and off repeatedly, non-stop. Now as soon as I plug it in, it starts the on & off, incessantly.

Is this a problem anyone has seen before? Or should I call an exorcist?

Thanks

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-L8690-CDW
Quite possibly an intermittent fault in the power supply. If you have a setting that lets it reboot itself after a power loss try turning that off, leave the printer on and see what happens over time.

Dazman

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon LBP7100C
Quite possibly an intermittent fault in the power supply. If you have a setting that lets it reboot itself after a power loss try turning that off, leave the printer on and see what happens over time.
Unfortunately, the printer won't stay on long enough to try to change any settings, and there is not a control panel/display on the printer itself.
I was trying to update the firmware but it keeps rebooting in the middle of the process.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-L8690-CDW
Could be dangerous to attempt a firmware update if it is rebooting as you might get half way through the update and then the printer shuts off and you have corrupted firmware. One other suggestion if you are happy doing soldering is to power off, strip down and resolder all the power supply connections on the board in case there is a dry joint causing the intermittent power issue.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Unfortunately, the printer won't stay on long enough
Revaluate your position and think about a new printer.. It makes more sense..
The other Feckin one doesn’t owe you anything..

P.S. Ask @Redbrickman about his latest purchase..
Brother DCP-L8410CDW A4 Colour Multifunction Printer

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC-L8690-CDW
I see that Canon still sell that printer so maybe see if you can get one at a good discounted price. I'm very happy wioth the Brother DCP-L8410CDW but its a much bigger beast and does duplex scanning & printing with sheet feeding too. Its also more expensive, however it is one of the few left that can be refilled or use compatible carts without any chip change or faffing about.

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon D1350, Canon IP6600D
Have you done any simple continuity tests from end of plug to power cable exit to power supply terminals? Maybe the problem is as simple as a faulty power cord, bad power switch or contact.

Use a DMM. These are super easy things to test.

And before you try stripping down solder joints, I'd just reflow them with a clean, well-tinned iron and a bit of new solder. That usually does the job. This is assuming you have the equipment, and soldering skills/experience.

Last edited: