Canon iP4700 CD/DVD printing

ltlredwagon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The CD/DVD printing function on the U.S. Canon iP4700 is disabled (licensing problems according to Canon). Same with the previous iP4500 and iP4300. I have had the iP4300 for a few years now and it was a great printer. Died recently. When I bought it there was a guy on Ebay selling the "F" disc trays along with the service codes to turn the U.S. iP4300 into an "Australian" iP4300 which could then be used to print on CDs and DVDs. Doing this voids the warranty of course, but I didn't care - I paid less than $80 for the printer and the conversion was easy to do and turn the printer into a great CD/DVD printer for general consumer use. Lasted me 2-1/2 years so I'm happy. Anyone heard if anyone is putting out the service codes for the iP4700 to enable the CD printing function? Seems like my other option is the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 for around $200. Prints up to 13X19 which the Canon does not. If this is a good printer I might go with this. Any comments?

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
According by Damn printer site, there no successful yes for new model. You could contact the site's admin for further infor. Normally, same instruction for same range of model. The site is here where it original come for all instruction
http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=379

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I know they are selling these in Canada with CD/DVD printing enabled. My guess *would* have been a button combination to unlock it, but seeing as the IP4600 requires a software to reset the waste ink tanks, we may be out of luck.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hey I wonder if the IP4700 still drinks the ink like the IP4600 every time you turn it on with endless cleaning cycles. If I know Canon I bet the IP4700 goes through a deep cleaning every time you turn it on. So the printer uses tons of ink faster and fills it waste ink pad faster.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Another way to create revenues: have the ink spilled as much as possible: make the cartridges smaller and program the printer to perform more than necessary cleaning cycles and make the formerly easy waste ink pad reset procedure something from the past.

Can someone reprogram the printer firmware to diminish the often unnecessary cleaning cycles with 70 % ? I get the feeling the newer the printer the more it performs -often unnecessary- cleaning cycles.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Agree. It is the business model that all inkjet manufacturers used to make money by selling ink with cheap disposable printers. IMHO, it is cheaper to use laser printer if you do not print photos.

nambi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Guys I just took my ip4700 out of the box now, knowing that this is going to be a money pit in ink from what i read I haven't even cracked open the print head ye and I'm considering getting this

http://tinyurl.com/yhate7m

would anyone have any experience with something like this?

Thanks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Tinyurl has too much abuse with hiding malevolent links.

Anyone else hesitent to click on a tinyurl link can decode it at a number of places such as http://kiserai.net/turl.pl. Google will give you many more decoder locations and applications for your browser if you like.

Nambi's link points to an eBay auction.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I just continue using the empty carts, after ink monitoring is disabled on my ip4600 it no longer does unnecessary cleaning cycles and actually prints quickly after it turns on instead of spending 2-3 minutes "cleaning" itself every time it turns on.

nambi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
How did you turn off the ink monitoring ? I have the IP4700 so I'm not sure if I can do it on this unit. BUt the link was for an ebay auction with cartridges specifically designed to refill with a syringe, the kit uses plugs, and has auto reset chips that reset when the printer turns off.