Canon Ip4500 and ciss

Servo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just bought the above printer, and before finding these forums, bought a ciss system off ebay.

The good news, the item arrived, the bad news, no instructions.

I've emailed the seller without reply, and I'm hoping someone may have a link on how to fit this kit.

Looking at it, I can see where most parts go, I'm not sure on how to get the unit working. The washers that came with the unit, I take it they fit in the print heads, but do I remove the rubber O rings first?...

Any help please....

Thanks in advance

Robert

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Servo said:
I've just bought the above printer, and before finding these forums, bought a ciss system off ebay.

The good news, the item arrived, the bad news, no instructions.
Why oh why am I not surprised... :rolleyes:

I've emailed the seller without reply, and I'm hoping someone may have a link on how to fit this kit.
Again... shocked... not.. *sigh*

Looking at it, I can see where most parts go, I'm not sure on how to get the unit working. The washers that came with the unit, I take it they fit in the print heads, but do I remove the rubber O rings first?...
Sorry, the sarcasm or despair is not aimed at you, just the idiot jobsworths who just sell without support... *take rant re: clone resellers as read*

To answer your question, the little silicon grommets should be clean of all finger grease, hair, etc... and then placed carefully on top of the rubber grommets (or washers as you've labelled them). Obviously make sure you put the relevant sizes on each one.

Then if there are no chips on the cartridges you'll need to transfer over some from your existing OEM (Original) cartridges, making sure you transfer magenta to magenta, PGI-5 black to PGI-5 black, etc... Take your time with this, if you cock up it's a nightmare to figure out which chip goes where.

Beyond that you'll need to figure out how to ensure you have ink in the cartridges (difficult without knowing which kit you have). If it's already primed and filled with ink you should be fine... I'm guessing not, so you might want to check out www.rihac.com.au and see if Sam can provide you with more detailed help as the kit is probably similar.

Hope this helps a little... and apologies if I can't respond again but middle of wedding prep at the moment so time is short.

Servo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For gods sake, don't get married!!!

That link was very helpful, I've booked marked the .UK site for future use. I'm just waiting for carts to become empty before the change over..

Once I'm up and running, I'll buy my replacement inks from the link you supplied.

I noticed their ciss units are about 65. are they really that much better than the one I bought for 30?

REgards
Robert

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Servo said:
For gods sake, don't get married!!!
Strange how so many men say that :)... t'is too late anyway... brain not engaged ;)

That link was very helpful, I've booked marked the .UK site for future use. I'm just waiting for carts to become empty before the change over..
The UK site? I'm guessing you mean my octoink one or other...

Once I'm up and running, I'll buy my replacement inks from the link you supplied.

I noticed their ciss units are about 65. are they really that much better than the one I bought for 30?
They're in Australia, they answer the phone, they provide support... Need I go on? ;)

In all seriousness, Sam is well worth the extra because he knows his stuff about the kits, inks and won't just walk away, which is not the experience you've had elsewhere...

Good luck :)

newslang

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey Robert,

Just picked up a ip4500 myself and I am trying to decide between a CISS or refilling OEMs /w german method. Any input about your experience with the ebay CIS is greatly appreciated.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
newslang said:
Hey Robert,

Just picked up a ip4500 myself and I am trying to decide between a CISS or refilling OEMs /w german method. Any input about your experience with the ebay CIS is greatly appreciated.
My advice would be to give refilling a go first... if you find it does ok for you then stay with it... if not, then look at CISs kits...

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Refilling Canon cartridges is so easy, I won't buy such expensive CISS-kit. And CISS on Canon printers is very difficult to have reliable working on the long therm, due to the difficulty to have an airtight sealing on the grommets. CISS are much more succesful on Epson printers.
I use the German durchstich method: very easy, no ink leaking out of the cartridge and no sealing needed.

Servo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
newslang said:
Hey Robert,

I've decided to refill the carts instead. Ciss isn't worth the hassle now. I've bought the chip resetter, and trying to find the best deal for ink in the Uk.

lol, I might use the ink from the ciss system first to refill

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I bought 6 kits from china and after the first two kits not working I had enough. You'll spent more time troubleshooting CIS.

CIS + epson =easy no problems

CIS+ Canon =nightmare

I like the print speed of the quality of the Canon much better, so I finally went to refilling using the German method. (The best way to fill a Canon cart hands down) (plugs if they don't seal right cause massive leaks)

bryan9

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Based on my research I have to agree with the consensus here. There is little point in trying to equip an ip4500 with a CIS - you will spend an inordinate time trying to get it to work, and if you succeed, it won't last, unless you are unusually blessed by the Technology gods. Plus, the ip4500 is a general purpose printer designed for advanced home users; it's a compromise design that's intended to handle a variety of tasks well, including printing text. A CIS is needed only if you're a professional who prints lots of stuff every day.

The German method is excellent. To be sure, it's an annoyance to have printing stopped. "Darn, I have to refill a cartridge...." From what I've heard, though, the only difference with CIS would be, "Darn, the CIS isn't working... I wonder why?"

--B.