Canon iP4200 colours

DJM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a Canon iP4200 printer. About a year ago I decided to try a "ciss" system. It worked fine at first, but I think that there might have been some air bubbles in the system, because after a while one of the black cartridges started flashing red continuously and I kept getting messages on my monitor saying something like "it was the wrong cartridge, or it was empty" the black cartridge was flashing red continuously even though it was full of ink. I then purchased a set of compatible cartridges. Now my colours are not printing out properly. Have I now ruined the print head? Any one been here before?

David Miles

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
DJM
CISS systems when they work are great but you have to have lots of work for to keep them
working properly as they command a huge appetite and obviously you didnt.

Now your second mistake was you got compatible cartridges instead of using original OEM cartridges.
Your printer will work much better if you use the OEM cartridges, that said at least you dumped the CISS.

Dont print anything on your printer other than nozzle checks whatsoever.
To help get the printer to work again heres a question for you.
Does any of the colours or black print anything in the nozzle check.
If so can you post a printout of the sheet on here so we can see it? :|

DJM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi.

Thanks for getting back to me.
I have posted a picture of my nozzle check ( DJM uploads ) but I cannot see a way of including the picture with this post. Do you think that you can find it?

David Miles.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
David, where did you get the set of compatible cartridges? There are tons of cheap Asian factory inks out there. Those not only give your poor colors they will cause damage to the print head too. Those Asian CISS have cost a lot of people's print heads. Unfortunately those cheap inks are prevailing in the market (eBay, etc.). Cheap junky products are slowly wiping out retailers of quality products. I have been on this board for many years. Most people who come here asking for help are frequently victims of cheap inks and compatible cartridges that include cartridges in CISS devices.

DJM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello iP4XXX.

I hope this is a picture of my test print.

David Miles

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
DJM
Ok it looks like your cyan and magenta are a bit bunged up all right.
You could mess around with these colours and not get anywhere or even fix them.

Just remember not to go print any photos or print head alignments till you get your problem fixed.
Your best option is to remove your print head from your printer and soak it over night in some Windex.

Submerge it about 1 deep in the solution and leave it to soak.
Next day dry it off with a paper towel and leave it somewhere warm to dry.

Made sure it is completely dry before putting it back in the printer.
Put a couple of drops of Windex on each of the inlets where the cartridges sit and do that two or three time over half an hour.

Then put in your cartridges while there is Windex on the inlets and do a head clean followed by a nozzle check.
If the quality still isnt good remove the offending colours cartridges again and repeat the Windex on each of the inlets then do a deep head clean followed by a nozzle check.

You may need to do a few head cleans to get a good clear nozzle check over the next hour or so leaving the printer to stand for a while between head cleans.
I would suggest you get yourself a new set of OEM cartridges once your printer is working again and refill them, it would be much better for your printer in the long run..

DJM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat.
Thanks for information. Can you ( or anyone ) tell me how I should store the cartridges while I am trying to clean the iP4200 print head.

David Miles

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
DJM
If you are worried about your cartridges drying out a little you can put the orange clip (shoe)
back on to each of the cartridges using an elastic band till your ready to reuse them ok.
Report back to us on your progress please, and remember to take your time..:)

DJM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat.

Can you buy Windex in the UK? If not, is there a UK version? Thanks.

David Miles