Canon IP3000 nozzle check patterns

rim rim

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have recently installed a new print head in my Canon IP3000, and although my printer is working ok the nozzle check pattern seems a bit different from what it used to be.
The nozzle check pattern below was taken after the new print head was installed. The blocks on either side of the 6C, 6M and 6Y digits are different shades of brown. Is this normal?

The nozzle pattern below was taken some months ago from the same printer when the original print head was working normally. In this pattern the blocks on either side of the 6C to 6Y digits are varying shades of black/grey.

Does the above differences matter? If they do, what do they indicate? Any comments would be appreciated. rim rim.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi rim rim,

The nozzle pattern before your new printhead had been installed is actually looking much better: the greys blocks on the left looks very neutral and that's the way it should be. If there is a colour cast then it is no good at all !!! The only conclusion I can make is the ink. Did you use another type of ink after you installed the new printhead ?

rim rim

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi pharmacist, I did use a different ink. I used a supplier in the UK called 'Choice Supplies' and their compatible ink cartridges are called 'Think Ink'.
The cartridges installed are getting low now so I'll try another ink type when I change them. I would have liked to have tried some of the recommended inks on this forum such as, Hobbicolor or MIS inks, but they're not available in the UK. Many thanks for your reply.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
To be honest: I think it would be better to choose for the newer Hobbicolors UW-8, meant for the newer CLI-8 cartridges. The advantage is the much improved fade resistance compared to the older BCI-6 technology. However: refillable cartridges are not included with the newer inks, but you can refill the original Canon cartridges very easy. I myself am using the german Durchstichmethod which is very easy to do and with a minimum of spillage. Eventually you can ask for those refillable cartridges seperately.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hobbicolors are an accomodating bunch of people. I'm sure if required they would supply the 3000 kit and cartridges, but with UW-8 ink.

Bertil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Why not buy British made Jettec?I even buy it from England although I live in Sweden.No problem at all as regards colour and fade resistance is as good as Canon -made ink.You can mix Canon colour and Jettec to your liking.No clogging problems so far.I use the German Durchstich method
which is quite superior to my mind.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Jettec's prices for ink are 50% above Hobbicolors and they have stopped supplying pigmented black.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
It looks like Rim's new print head is already clogged by the ink cartridge he uses. The Cyan is almost missing the entire lighter block. He will need some unclogging done ASAP. Changing ink cartridge will not unclog it.

rim rim

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info' all. Because of Tim Ho's comments I have replaced my cyan cartridge with one I filled with Jettec ink. You can see from the test pattern below that there's been an improvement. I've only printed about ten pages with my new print head so I'd have been amazed if it had clogged up so quickly.

I'll try some of the other suggestions for ink supplies later. Cheers.
PS: how do I clear my uploaded images?