Canon IP3000 broad smears at page end

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ron350,.. Hi,... I saw his picture and saw the very small timing disk in the center, but if you look at the pictures I posted, the wheel is on the main gear. The pictures are directly from the Canon iP3000 service manual. So how do you explain the difference.?????????????????????

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Trigger 37 you have taken so many of these apart they are running together on you. LOL

The picture you posted has slots for 5 ink carts the 3000 only has 4 carts right?
Is it possible Canon just used a picture for an iP4000 in the iP3000 manual?

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ron350,... You are correct. Now that I dig deeper, I see that the Parts Catalog for the iP3000/iP4000 use the same pictures,...LOL. I also suspect that when Canon put out their "Simplified Service Manual",... which is labelled "iP3000", they have used the base photos of the iP4200. However, in looking at the parts catalogs and the Service manuals for both, they are the same. Only the printhead and carriage are different. Here is the real strange thing, and now I don't know if I can believe anything in these manuals,...the iP4000 manual shows the main drive shaft and the timing disk just as Yuyakay's pictures and as you confirmed. The User's guide for the iP3000 and the iP4000 share one document.

So I am beginning to believe you are correct, Canon has screwed up and used the wrong pictures in the Service Manual for the iP3000. I would continue to note that I can't see any missing teeth in the pictures but neither pictures are any good. The only good pictures come from their updae manual printed in 2004 and that is the one that seems to have the wrong image.

Boy,.. did we waste a lot of time chasing this Cat's tail. Now I know why I trust my own Repair Manuals. I took all the pictures myself as I did the repair. You are correct in one other observation,.... I've taken so many printers apart they are running together. I think I'll take a break and go make something out of wood.

yuyakay

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Trigger, there are no missing teeth. Who said there were missing teeth? Look at the picture and you can see all the teeth. There is a gap in the solid backing behind the teeth. Thanks to Ron I now am sure that this is normal. Ron, thanks for your input. I was a little frustrated after it was suggested that I didn't know what printer I had, etc.

Trainman, great suggestion. Particularly in my situation. I have a great lightly used printer that works fine except for this one glitch. I do occasionally like to print photos and get 4 good sized photos to a page. I have a feeling what you suggest will work, and allow me to do that. I'm beginning to suspect that this is an issue of planned obsolescence. I wonder if it's done through updated drivers?! I'll see if I can get back to the original driver. Canon won't let us have any of their knowledge, so we're free to speculate on devious motives.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Well actually all I know is that Canon made at least one other iP3000 like yours. LOL
Until you posted that picture I also thought all Canons used the large timing wheel attached to the main shaft.

I hope Trigger 37 and the rest of the experts can figure out what is going on with your iP3000.

Here is a copy of my iP3000 eeprom print out:

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/ron350/?action=view&current=SWScan00039.jpg

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
yuyakay,..I don't think any of us will be convinced this question is resolved until we see your results of the actions that Ron has suggested. Let us know as soon as you test it.