Canon iP3000 Black "dries up"

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think isopropyl alcohol is an ingredient in the cleaning fluid and not acetone. I think no ink supplier sells an acetone based cleaning fluid. I think he would soon lose his customers. Acetone is a strong solvent that can ruin many plastics and that might damage epoxy bonds in the print head.

The main ingredient in window cleaners with ammonia is water that has some alcohol and cleaning agents and a small amount of ammonia added, but no stronger solvents are used.

I think "pharmacists cleaning solution" is also popular in Europe. It consists of 1% concentrated ammonia, 3% propylene glycol, 20% isopropyl alcohol and rest demineralized/distilled water. Percentages are by volume. No acetone or other strong paint thinner type solvents are used.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Just wanted to make sure there was not a new secret head cleaner over there.

Monkey Shoulder

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
A picture says more than thousand words - please print a nozzle check and post it!
If the print head is really dead, which you also can say by looking at a nozzle check, you may consider a new print head. I wouldn't recommend any chinese refurbished ones, but I think the IP3000 is one of the rare models from the best years of canon a4 printers, for which new OEM heads are still available! I got a used "like new" ip3000 just for that reason: canon QY6-0064 available for around 70€

Sorry, I can't print anything at all at the moment, I've tried cleaning and flushing and so on, and then I got this flashing LED telling me that the head was incorrectly installed. I had another go today, and that seems to have cleared. but it still won't put ink to paper.

Monkey Shoulder

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
Here is a German supplier who claims to have 100 still in stock, And here is a British supplier who also have some in stock. The original print head for iP3000 was QY6-0042. QY6-0064 is a newer replacement type.

But when a Canon print head fails there is a risk that it can damage the logic board. A logic board that has been damaged by a defective print head can damage a new print head. I cannot tell your odds for success.

Water left where it does not belong, behind the circuit board and the ribbon cable, might cause the destruction of not only the print head but also the logic board. When cleaning a print head water can easily enter wrong places, it is very important no water is left where it does not belong. The print head must be thoroughly dry before reinstalling in the printer.:

Thanks for that, and I have seen these available on eBay for 46GBP, but I could almost buy a new printer for that, is it worth trying to resurrect the old one? I'd like to be "green" and I would rise to the challenge, but with a heavy heart I think it is time to let go...

Monkey Shoulder

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
Are you guys across the pond really using acetone based cleaning fluid?

Well, I don't really know. It smells like nail polish remover so I have always assumed it was Acetone. It does not list the ingredients on the packet, or the bottle.
I have emailed Jet-tec and asked them to reveal its composition. This is what it looks like:
PrinterFluid.jpg

Monkey Shoulder

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
I have spoken to Jet-tec, who assure me that their product does NOT contain acetone, but claimed it was IPA.
I assume this means Iso-Propyl Alcohol, rather than India Pale Ale.
Sorry, my mistake.