Canon Inkjet Flooding - Daft Question

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
How do you identify genuine holograms from fake ones ?..
Are those pictures below the real thing or not ?

hologram 1.jpg
hologram 2.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Are those pictures below the real thing or not ?
I can say with certainly that those holograms are fake to me and I wouldn’t trust the product they represent..

The word Genuine and CANON are printed is the wrong type face and are not hologram, they should only be visible when the image is viewed at an angle one at a time..

From what I gathered from Canon is all their Holograms are only in Gold foil.. Impossible to reproduce..
P.S. Canon Inc. are not paying me enough…

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
As you say, it's not easy to take good pictures of holograms. All digital cameras have a stack of filters over the sensor (IR, AA, etc..) which react impredictably with different types of holograms and the angles at which the photo is taken. At naked eye, this hologram seems gold, if looked almost perpendiculary, but it turns greenish at certain angle of view.
Those photos are from the spare and unused QY6-0085 printhead for my Pro-10s. It was purchased at C1-supplies ( Germany ). You'll have to take my word for it, but this is a genuine Canon box. You may argue that they sell counterfeited products, but I'm quite certain that they don't. It isn't the first time I buy there and their service has been always flawless. I'm sure that other people here who had dealt with them will say likewise
I think that the photos uploaded by @Puzzled of that super cheap printhead aren't conclusive, Only the real condition of the article will tell us for sure.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have some New Old Stock Canon OEM cartridges, The packages have the same hologram sticker as the printhead boxes. I have also tried to scan and photograph the holograms, but it is impossible for me to get a good image. So I agree with Artur5 that you cannot determine from a photo if the hologram is genuine.

I think C1 supplies is a regular dealer of new genuine Canon spare parts. In 2015 I bought probably the last new QY6-0061 in Europe. It has worked well in an iP4300 for more than 6 years but has now sadly started leaking magenta into yellow and cyan. I can still use the printer as one printhead cleaning clears the colours, but I wish I could buy a genuine new printhead for the printer.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@The Hat

OP's hologram looks sort of like the real USA Canon hologram below. It all depends on the angle/lighting, but appears to be similar. Zero gold. But the real one is attached to a Canon battery, not packaging, has different dimensions and no central stripe of translucency. Even the Sine Waves are different, but this might be due to viewing angle.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/about-counterfeits

Canon_anticounterfeit_hologram.gif

But is this the same hologram that would be used on print head packaging or a different Region? (OP in England/Europe?)

Canon USA states the following is the hologram used on packaging.

canon_anticounterfeit_hologram_1.gif

The hologram on my OEM Maxify 2200 XL cartridge packaging looks like this image as I rotate it under light. It also will seem completely gold at a specific angle to the light. Note that at certain angles the bottom and top stripes are black +/- superimposed Canon/Genuine/Sine Waves. It does not look like your hologram at all. Does this mean your hologram is a counterfeit?

The holograms displayed on Canon Asia also do NOT look like your hologram. Hmm, your hologram is looking a little suspect.

https://asia.canon/en/campaign/anti-counterfeit

bba1e0716cad4a8c80a701f0dccec3e0_310-256.gif

dbb9af1e1376455fad60d094202a513e_110-256.gif

For Latin America, the holograms are exactly the same as the USA's. Check out the link. Further proof your hologram is counterfeit, right?

https://www.cla.canon.com/cla/en/anti-counterfeit

Finally, let's look at Canon Europe. They compare OLD with NEW holograms. I don't see your hologram. It is not looking good that you having genuine holograms if we go by what Canon says.

https://www.canon-europe.com/about_us/anti-counterfeit-awareness/

1633278299357.png

You did not indicate what your hologram is stuck on and how long ago it was purchased. Even though the Canon Europe images for the "OLD" hologram do NOT look like your hologram, I would accept that your hologram was an earlier version of the "old" version above. Otherwise, you were scammed.

None of my MP830 print head boxes have holograms. These were purchased directly from Canon Sales in the USA. Canon feckin scammed me!

OP's hologram does not look like your print head hologram or my cartridge hologram. None of ours looks the same. Is OP's hologram a counterfeit? Given that holograms have changed over time, yours being a obvious example, I cannot say for certain. Not enough information.

So, @Artur5 's recommendation to check the print head for wear before installation may be one way to tell if it is a refurb.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So, @Artur5 's recommendation to check the print head for wear before installation may be one way to tell if it is a refurb.
Nice one @stratman… The Hologram King..:thumbsup
Does this mean my doolallys can stay…:fl

Last edited: