Canon Inkjet Flooding - Daft Question

Puzzled

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5150
I'm afraid there's no point in a link. It was the last one being sold by Amazon (as opposed to a third party) else, at £14.23 delivered, I'd have bought a couple. If you search (UK site) CANQY6-0073 you'll see it pop up, but Amazon only has the 0080 (for £70 odd) now. The 0073 is there (listing has two options), but from a third party, at £102. Note it shows as "Original Laser Toners". A German chap even pointed out the title error, after buying one in 2018.

I suspect it was a lucky misprice.

The hologram looks just like that shown in PeterBJ's link, above. That, and its having come from Amazon itself, reassures me.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The hologram looks just like that shown in PeterBJ's link, above. That, and its having come from Amazon itself, reassures me.
Great find and price, but it’s still a knackered print head posing as genuine.. The hologram is also hooky..
P.S. try and get your money back from Amazon..

1633118139094.png

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm afraid there's no point in a link. It was the last one being sold by Amazon (as opposed to a third party) else, at £14.23 delivered, I'd have bought a couple. If you search (UK site) CANQY6-0073 you'll see it pop up, but Amazon only has the 0080 (for £70 odd) now. The 0073 is there (listing has two options), but from a third party, at £102. Note it shows as "Original Laser Toners"
In less time to type that out you could have posted a link. :idunno

Searching "CANQY6-0073" on Amazon brings a number of results, not just two, and the ones I looked at were all out of China. These would be refurbished until proven otherwise.

The description you gave is not as helpful as a link. Link please.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Puzzled Thanks for the link.

The good: There is a hologram on the box and it looks like the valid sticker used in the USA. I also do not recall a report of a counterfeit box with a hologram.

The potential bad: The print heads currently listed at your link are from private businesses and not Amazon. Also, items listed in the Canon Store on Amazon can come from non-Amazon, Non-Canon sellers. You can see this with some of the printers listed on the Canon Store. It is strange that Amazon would list a print head as a laser toner and the price seems too good to be true. Could happen, I guess.

If your item specifically states From Amazon and Shipped By Amazon then the likelihood it is non-counterfeit are markedly reduced in my experience.

Puzzled

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5150
As I have already pointed out, it was sold/shipped by Amazon (specifically, Amazon EU SARL) and was the last one in stock. I had to add some dog treats to take the order over £20 to qualify for Amazon's free delivery.

I do hope the dog treats I bought aren't counterfeit. No sign of a hologram... anywhere. If my dog tells me they taste of MSG...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
As I have already pointed out

The story you presented was strange for reasons I wrote. We've had many members think they know things and then find out they were wrong. It happens. We ask specific questions to get the most reliable information. Sometimes we have to ask again because a member may believe they answered fully and correctly when it later becomes apparent not so. Hence my comments about Sold/Shipped by Amazon and the Canon Store.

My inquiries and comments were not to affect your sense of well being but to find out the extent and methodology of potential counterfeiting. It was about knowledge that may assist the forum in the future. You were a source and not a target.

Still, the risk of receiving a counterfeit item remains despite the item denoted as "Sold by Amazon".

1633133404294.png

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadesh...n-amazon-this-holiday-season/?sh=70567567cf18

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
One more teeny tiny thing:

'Sold By Amazon' does not exclusively mean Amazon themselves manufactured, shopped, or purchased the items so designated. Businesses contract with Amazon to have their items "Sold By Amazon". Think of 'on consignment' without telling the prospective buyer it is on consignment.

Yet another way for counterfeits to slip in.

https://amzscout.net/blog/sold-by-amazon/

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
The jury is still deliverating on this question.
Will the @Hat have to eat his dolallies or not ?.

@Puzzled will know after opening that box. If the printhead looks pristine, untouched and the nozzles are soaked in the bluish solution that Canon uses for protection, chances are 99.99% of being brand new and unused.
If the nozzles are dry and the surrounding bottom plate is a bit worn or, worse still, if the inlet ports are stained with small residues of ink then ......:hit

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Will the @Hat have to eat his dolallies or not ?.
@Artur5, I’m certain my dolallies are quite safe, because counterfeit holograms are not new, just like these useless print heads, it’s a money making racket true and true and that’s why Canon introduced the hologram on their boxes..

Catch the light properly and the camera can just pick it..

Canon.jpg