Canon Inkjet Flooding - Daft Question

Puzzled

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5150
Hi.

Hope someone can help with what may very well be a silly question.

I'm using refillable cartridges with an old MG5150, after years of using a CISS. I'm finding that the cyan ink is flooding the yellow cartridge, as if it is being sucked into it, or seeping into it.

I've had test patterns with yellow appearing green, or even blue. Now have one with the text grid test looking ok but ALL colour stripes coming out blue. (The magenta cartridge doesn't look cyan-flooded, however. Photo black? Who knows?)

I've tried flushing, refilling yellow, cleaning printhead etc.

Any ideas re cause and if there's likely to be a solution other than replacing the printer?

Thanks in advance.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The problem is most likely caused by cross contamination. It is caused by an internal leak in the printhead. This is a common failure with old Canon printheads. You will most likely need a new printhead to correct the error.

The printhead is QY6-0073. You find one here from a regular dealer of Canon spare parts. Avoid printheads from China. They are used and possibly defective printheads cleaned to look like new.

The printer uses the PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges for which a resetter is available and the OEM cartridges are also easily refillable. The ink absorber counter can also be reset with the free and easily available service tool V3400.

So maybe it is worth buying a new printhead? Newer printers use more expensive cartridges for which no resetter is available.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any ideas re cause and if there's likely to be a solution other than replacing the printer?
You could have an issue with the Cyan cart leaking when the print head is sitting on the parking station (purge unit) and cross contaminating the yellow cart, also the purge unit may need a bit of a clean too.

Last but not least, but this is one you won’t like, the rubber washer inside the print head could have developed a gap in the wall between the two colours, my money is on a badly refilled Cyan cart..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You could try another cyan cartridge or make sure the cyan cartridge is not leaking. You might be lucky that the cross contaminating stops, Else you will need a new print head.

Puzzled

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5150
Many thanks for these responses.

I've replaced the cyan and yellow cartridges, in case it's a leak issue. Got lucky and found (original Canon) printhead on Amazon, under the wrong heading (last one and described as "Laser Toners", for some reason) for only £14. So that's in the drawer in case the new carts don't sort it.

Help much appreciated.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
found (original Canon) printhead on Amazon, under the wrong heading (last one and described as "Laser Toners", for some reason) for only £14.
If that purchased print head is genuine, I’ll eat my doolallys, you've more and likely got a refurbished print head that is already damaged, so don’t waste you time fitting it..

Tip:- Has the box got a hologram on it ?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I’ll eat my dolallies
OK. My The Hat Decoder Ring did not know this word so I had to look it up on the intertubes.

How do you eat your "crazy"?

Puzzled

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5150
Sealed packet inside.

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_164230.jpg
    IMG_20211001_164230.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 142

Puzzled

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5150
Realise the hologram looks like a black sticker. Tricky to photograph. Reads "Canon", alternating btwn red and magenta, in the sine wave area.

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_171823.jpg
    IMG_20211001_171823.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 140

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil