Canon ImageProGraf Pro-300. Pro 10s replacement.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
which infers that Canon put them there so that they are easier to remove. Perhaps this makes the service center replacement simpler and less costly.
Well Mikling, there’s one way to find out, dive in there and report back, I’m sure you’ll have a captive audience hanging on every word…;).. Well I'm interested..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Yes, that would be interesting, specially if Mike disregards screwdrivers and disassembles the Pro300 with that nice saw that he used for the unboxing online. ;)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Just a little update with my Pro9500 head electrical fault. I tried 3 or four different B&W prints which I have printed originals from before the head problem to compare them with & all three prints look as good as the originals. I did two prints of each, one using the black only & the other using all the colours with my icc profile & it seems to work either way. This will give me time to sort out what I will do next.
PS I have tried a colour print but the missing colours look obvious.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just a little update with my Pro9500 head electrical fault
Sorry to hear that @rodbam, I’ve only the one head left and that’s in the printer sorry, it looks like a new printer is on the cards then, you could keep an eye out for a second hand Pro 10 as an excellent replacement..
She gave you good service….;)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks the Hat:) I sort of thought it was good news because I love B&W prints which means I can still use the printer. Yes the Pro9500 has been a great printer.

pppkkk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imagePROGRAF Pro-300
Hello.
I want to figure out if it's possible to use inks for Pro-10/Pro-10s in my imagePrograf Pro-300? I had to buy a new printer few months ago when there was virtually none of Pro-10s available and had to get Pro-300. It is a great buy, the prints look amazing, but ink prices are shocking. I live in Poland and there is a shortage of inks, too. I hoped that there will be a multipack available but as of today there is none.
So I came up with an idea to use inks designed for older Pro-10 or Pro-10s. I think the ink itself is the same and the only difference may be in the chipset. Has anyone tested these printers backwards compatibility? If not I will probably try in a few days and let you know, as my original set is coming to an end and I'll have to buy some new inks :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I want to figure out if it's possible to use inks for Pro-10/Pro-10s in my imagePrograf Pro-300?

@pppkkk, yes the inks will work but the colours will need a bit of a tweaking to match the Pro 300 inks, you can also use inks from the prograf 1000 and 2000, bigger carts cheaper inks.. Come back with an update on your progress..

pppkkk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
@pppkkk, yes the inks will work but the colours will need a bit of a tweaking to match the Pro 300 inks, you can also use inks from the prograf 1000 and 2000, bigger carts cheaper inks.. Come back with an update on your progress..
Hey thank you! I am curious about two things. How come program 1000 and 2000 inks will fit the really small compartment inside the pro300? I mean they look quite bulky and hold in fact almost 5 times as much ink as the original inks for pro300 (the pfi-300 series inks).
And secondly: what do you mean by 'tweaking'? I use calibrated iMac 5k display to prepare the prints and then send them to the printer using both photoshop/canon's utility. I use ICC profiles made by the paper companies (Canon, Fomei and some less known art papers, to be precise). Do you mean that I will need to create custom profiles for each of my papers to match the display, or is there a method to correct the inks 'within' the printer?
Again, thank you for your response :) I will do some experiments with the prints and inks and of course will let you know.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Just a question : why do you want to replace Pro-300 original inks with inks form another models ?. You can’t reset the chip of Pro-300 carts, so it’s no use refilling them with Pro10/Pro1000 inks once they’re empty. That is, unless you intend to disable ink monitoring. I strongly advise you against this practice with this type of carts and printhead. You’d waste a lot of ink in additional purge cycles and the risk of damaging permanently the printhead is quite high.

pppkkk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just a question : why do you want to replace Pro-300 original inks with inks form another models ?. You can’t reset the chip of Pro-300 carts, so it’s no use refilling them with Pro10/Pro1000 inks once they’re empty. That is, unless you intend to disable ink monitoring. I strongly advise you against this practice with this type of carts and printhead. You’d waste a lot of ink in additional purge cycles and the risk of damaging permanently the printhead is quite high.
Hey, maybe I was imprecise: I want to use whole cartridges from Pro10 inside the iP-300. I am from Poland and here it is almost interchangeable to say 'ink' and 'cartridge' I am sorry for that. So my question is: is it possible to put the older cartridges into the Pro-300? I think the inks inside the cartridges are the same so the question is about the chips compatibility. Or does the iPPro-300 will immediately recognize that the cartridge is 'faulty' or 'not suitable' for this device?

edit: and of course this is all in terms of money - for example Pro-300 inks cost around 14 to 17 euros here, and for the older models they start at around 10 euros. So buying 10-20 inks it can really generate some savings :)