Canon i960 Magenta problem?

mmconhea

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I'll leave it alone.

mvalentiner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My i960 developed this problem the other day after working fine for years. After changing inks, cleaning heads, and deep cleaning heads it still has the problem, but only when I print on Photo paper (Canon Matte Photo or Glossy Photo). It prints fine to plain paper. If I print a test page on Photo paper, PM is blank and square E is almost blank. If I print to plain paper PM shows up fine. Anyone know what gives?

mvalentiner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I deciced the problem I was seeing was due to a clogged print head, so I stayed up half the night cleaning it. I was able to get the printer back to a resonable degree of functionality. Along the way, I realized that any printer is an imperfect physical device and I needed some way to evaluate whether the print head is "clean enough". So, I made a test image in PS, 8.5 x 11 @ 300 dpi, consisting of alternating black and white pixels. That is, not a gray fill, but a 4 x 4 pattern fill where two pixels on the diagonal are black and the other two white. This resulted in a 2550 x 3300 checker board.

What do you think that should look like when printed? Ideally, I thought, it would be a nice smooth 50% (or there abouts) gray. NOT! The first printing was full of lines, streaks, moire (of numerous types), color banding, ghosting, etc. It looked horrible (it was printing plaid - nothing against the Scots). Eventually, through a variety of cleaning techniques (documented in various threads at this web site), I able to get the page to come out an improved smoother gray. Still there is plenty of banding, moire, color ghosting, etc., but it is improved and acceptable for a non-color-critical-just-messing-around-at-home photo printer. None of this is really noticeable in most images, unless they have large areas of smooth color.

The cleaning technique that yeilded the biggest improvment was running a few drops of isopropyl alcohol throught the printer head, letting it sit, followed by a deep cleaning cycle, and printing my evaluation image through a few times.