Canon i960 CIS or..

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I would have edited my previous post to include this link but I see that you are online. The original thread on purging a cart was started by the participant who developed the purging technique, Grandad35. The link for it is http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=311&p=1 . My post on that thread, #21, has a picture of my ink cart "enema tube" and drying technique. The posts above it show the use of a spray attachement to a sink faucet that someone was using that is very simple. If it would work for you I'd try it. The tubing really has to fit the outlet port of the cart tightly so that a small amount of water pressure goes directly into the cart. Works very fast.

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hmm I think I remember reading about that purging process I will have to try this.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Subarub4 said:
hmm I think I remember reading about that purging process I will have to try this.
I can't remember ever having to discard an OEM Canon cart after years of refilling. Purging has restored them to be used again. I did purge some aftermarket carts that I had purchase prefilled. Some of them didn't clean as well, and their feed characteristics varied, even within the group of ten that I had purchased. The only OEM carts that don't clean out as well are the larger pigmented ink carts in the four and five cart printers. That doesn't affect your i960.

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I found my carts I found them all in the bag, but now this garden hose to sink adapter is that going to be hard to rig up?

IMAG0464.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I flushed the carts today but I made a mistake on the magenta I pushed too hard and the plastic ball for the ink tank pushed into the tank so I just only need to replace one cart with the OEM.

Not bad for carts that have been sitting around for 4 years, they cleaned up pretty good!

IMAG0505.jpg

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
pushing the ball into the cart doesn't seem to be a problem for proper function. The only problem I encountered was that the lower lip of the factory fill hole in one of my carts chipped and it wouldn't hold the silicone plug that i was using (from Computer Friends, circa 2004) to seal the fill holes. If you are using the plugs from Precision Colors or an equivalent, insert the plug to see if it works OK. If it does, just go ahead and use the cart.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I only posted yesterday whilst discussing current problems with the German method that somebody on the forum had a system of detailing their refills and that I thought what a good idea it was, assuming enough room for the label (the newer printers are very tight on space, particularly in height. This does make top fill a bit more difficult the very low profile plugs are not easy to handle, especially with gloves on. With the old BCI-6/CLI-8 I used S/S screw with an O ring which gives a really good seal.

A lot of users myself included have not paid sufficient attention to regular purging and I intend to produce a simple label and see if I can put a set on my Pixma MP620

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
barfl2 said:
A lot of users myself included have not paid sufficient attention to regular purging and I intend to produce a simple label and see if I can put a set on my Pixma MP620
Keeping it simple, I cut file folder labels in half and they fit just right on the side of a bci-6 or cli-8 cart. I note the month and year when I do a refill. After I get up to 6 or so refills I check the ink flow by lightly blowing into the air vent after refilling (with the fill hole closed, of course!) If you need to blow with more pressure after you have several more refills on the cart it is time to purge and start over. Better to spend the time than to buy a new printhead. Refilling an empty purged cart does take much more ink than simply refilling when the cart shows empty on the monitor but by refilling the savings are so great that a little extra ink to preserve your printer is money well spent.

Another way to keep track would be to number the carts and keep a chart or spreadsheet. Many years ago Granadad35 kept very good records on the number of refills of each color in an eight cart printer and had good statistics on the amount of ink required per full page print and the ranked used of each color's refill requirements for that printer.

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Cool I was just wondering if it could of have side effects to anything.