Canon i960 CIS or..

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was trying to search on Google of people using a CIS on a i960.. since I don't do much photo printing at the moment I feel it would be a waste to get another printer.. however I don't know if I should just get another printer (Epson Artisan 730) or just keep the Canon and try a CIS on it?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Canon printers are not good at accepting CIS systems as Epson printers. I would avoid a CIS on your i960.

Wayne

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah I think I kinda remember saying that.. so in other words I might as well just get the Epson then.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Subarub4 said:
I was trying to search on Google of people using a CIS on a i960.. since I don't do much photo printing at the moment I feel it would be a waste to get another printer.. however I don't know if I should just get another printer (Epson Artisan 730) or just keep the Canon and try a CIS on it?
Even if youre not printing lots of photos on your 960 refilling cartridges is as good a way as any CISS.

When you have two sets of carts refilled and ready to go and when a cart is showing empty then just switch for a new one
and carry on printing it works out faster than any CISS. (Refill later)

Dont be fooled by the hype CISS works for some guys but not for everybody, the end result usually means you end up dumping it..

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah but after refilling so many times the cart has a limited lifespan, no? I think that's what killed my first printhead.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Subarub4 said:
Yeah but after refilling so many times the cart has a limited lifespan, no? I think that's what killed my first printhead.
Properly refilled OEM cartridges will never kill a print head far from it
and these same cartridges will usually last longer than the lifespan of the printer.

If you wish to get and use a CISS than do so but make doubly sure it is installed correctly
and then it should perform as you would expect it too.

Happy Printing.. :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Subarub4 said:
I've used four printers with bci-6 cartridges, including two i960's, one of which is still in use and the other in storage. I'm still using the original carts from the i960 I bought about nine or ten years ago. When they start to feed poorly you can jyust purge and dry them and start over. with proper care they wll outlast your printer.

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well what happened with the media street ink and carts is it started to get clumpy in the spongy side, then it caused a ink feed issue with messed up the head so I had to get another head which was about 5-6 years ago.

From that point I used OEM carts then I switched back to non OEM about 3 months ago.

I just ordered this, it comes with ink and new carts.. seems like a decent deal, not sure how the color is vs the Canon inks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MX8W80/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

hopefully I will have a better experience this time around

*edit ahh crap I did not know that was just for the black ink so I'm trying to stop the order now.

Subarub4

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Anyone know what stuff I should use to flush a ink cart? How would I know it needs to be flushed? I have some empty OEM Canon and aftermarket carts I kept and have been sitting for as few months but kept the caps on them, would they still need to be flushed? Never been refilled yet.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you have enough OEM carts for your needs as they are the best to use for the long run. I would flush and dry them before refilling. The clumping problem may have occurred from too many refills before purging. It can also happen from using ink past its shelf life. Although I have never used any ink but IS (sold by Octoinks, Precision Colors, and MIS) I did have a bit of clumping years ago in one cart. For that reason I am inclined to purge carts as soon as I sense any slow flow, and I sometimes purge them when I buy a new supply of the same ink that is in them when they become empty. I'd rather not have ink residue in a cart that might be from a batch that I bought three or four years ago when I am refilling with a new supply of ink.

From reading posts from the time this forum started I sense the reluctance of some people to purge their carts. To me it is just part of the process of refilling and at the same time protecting my printers. I do note on a label on each cart how many refills they have on an ongoing basis so I rotate them pretty evenly. When a cart with lots of refills is empty at the same time that I buy a new supply of ink I consider purging before refillling.

I purge with pretty warm tap water and a simple device I made that attaches to the faucet and to the outlet port. In San Francisco we must have fairly soft water as I've never had problems with purged carts or printhead that I've washed out with tap water.