Canon G2010 turns off in seconds after pressing power button

Akshay J

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2010
video link, click here
(embed was working earlier, idk what happened now)

Printer : Canon G2010
problem : When I connect the power cord and press power button it turns on for second, the sound of motors sounds like they aren't getting enough power and then it turns off. After pressing it again it powers on for even a less time and even motors won't start. after trying 2-4 times it just goes full off, power button does nothing.

I read on some sites that I should keep it unplugged for some hours then plug back in in wall socket. (I was earlier using it connecter to UPS)

Still same problem. If anyone have any guesses to what's happening please let me know

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have experienced something similar with older Canon printers. A defective print head or defective logic board can
prevent the power supply from starting. Your printer might behave in the same manner.

In older Canon printers there is an interaction between print head, logic board and power supply which you can read about here.

If possible try to remove the printhead(s) and check if the printer will now turn on. If it will then one or two new print heads might bring the printer back to good working order.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
"This video is unavailable" :(

Akshay J

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2010
I have experienced something similar with older Canon printers. A defective print head or defective logic board can
prevent the power supply from starting. Your printer might behave in the same manner.

In older Canon printers there is an interaction between print head, logic board and power supply which you can read about here.

If possible try to remove the printhead(s) and check if the printer will now turn on. If it will then one or two new print heads might bring the printer back to good working order.
Thank you for reply,
So I tried starting printer with removing printer heads, still same problem. Green light blinks for a second then stops.
Im guessing logic board problem or some dead capacitors.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Just in case you haven't considered all the following:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
2 part video that claims to be a solution to no power. I do not know what to make of this video. Maybe you can. :idunno

Akshay J

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G2010
2 part video that claims to be a solution to no power. I do not know what to make of this video. Maybe you can. :idunno

Yeah I will check power supply first now, hope only dead capacitors, I had already tried that first video methods.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Be careful if you open the power supply. If you live in a 230 VAC mains area, the reservoir capacitor of maybe 220 microFarads will be charched to around 325 VDC during use. The charge stored in the capacitor is enough to give a very nasty shock or even be dangerous or fatal. The capacitor might only discharge slowly after the power supply has been disconnected from the mains. I think no bleeder resistor to safely discharge the capacitor is used.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Better be safe than sorry but, in this case, I don’t think there’s much risk. If the PSU of the G2010 is like other Canon PSUs that I have ‘investigated’ in the past, the capacitor in the input (high tension) part ranges from 10 to 47uF. Yes, when the PSU is connected to the mains, the tension at the capacitor pìns is aprox 330V DC (on countries with 230V AC ) but, as soon as you disconnect the cable, the tension of the capacitor goes almost instantly down to 24 or 28V and then sinks very slowly towards 0.
In the worst of cases, there would be a residual tension of 20-24V volts. Of course, the unit must be always unplugged before attempting to disassemble anything,

The only problem is removing the screw securing both parts of the PSU. It has a special anti-tamper head and it’s located in a recess, preventing the use of most screwdrivers, In theory, it needs a dedicated tool to remove, but I succeeded using narrow nosed pliers ( and a bit of patience).

In my experience, the PSU of Canon printers rarely fail. When they switch off automatically in a few seconds, in 90% of cases is because of problems in the logic board. As it has been said here already, if the PSU detects something unexpected (a very high current ) it disconnects itself to prevent further damage.

Latest posts