Canon CLI refilling experiences?

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The needle used was 0,9 x 70 mm, but other dimensions probably also work...

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Very interesting refill technique, thanks for posting.

jtl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you refill a chipped cart and override the ink monitoring feature can you subsequently use new oem carts and restore ink monitoring or is it gone forever? In any event I imagine the printer has recorded a warranty violation.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
jtl said:
If you refill a chipped cart and override the ink monitoring feature can you subsequently use new oem carts and restore ink monitoring or is it gone forever? In any event I imagine the printer has recorded a warranty violation.
Yes if you replace with genuine off the shelf carts , ink monitoring is restored for that cart . all cart changes are recorded (and the status of those carts at that time ) are recorded in the printers memory (for ever ?), the log can be subsequently called up by a Canon Service person to ascertain whether any functions have been overidden against Canon `s advice.

Xalky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you print as much as I do. I can afford to buy a new printer 10 times with the money I save using cheaper ink in 1 year. I've practically already paid for 75% of a new printer in just 1 month from the money I've saved using 3rd party ink.

Xalky

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
hi there. it's been a while since i posted on this forum.

my pixma ip4000 was damaged on the plane when i brought it with me.
now i can't find any ip4000 for sale, all i see is the ip4200.
i still have lots of bulk ink left for my ip4000.
is it possible to use the bulk ink for bci-6 to refill cli-8 cartridges?
thanks. :)

Xalky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Mikling would be the right one to ask, but I think the answer is no.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Physically if the ink worked fine before it will continue to function. The CLI inkset ended up getting a new Photoblack and magenta. These are the ones that affect you. ( The other photo or light colors are also different but are not used in the 4200 etc ) Many vendors just sell a generic Canon inkset for BCI and CLI and it works in printing images out. Color accuracy and image detail was not the selling point, price was. If close enough is good enough then fine.

Now seeing that you have Canon S1 IS camera I suspect you are discriminating in images, color fidelity may be a requirement and it might be better to start off with a new balanced inkset instead of fiddling around unless you have some decent profiling hardware and software.

The decision rests with your taste and standards. Why economize for a few bucks when excellence is within grasp?

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
BlasterQ said:
my pixma ip4000 was damaged on the plane when i brought it with me.
now i can't find any ip4000 for sale, all i see is the ip4200.
i still have lots of bulk ink left for my ip4000.
thanks. :)
Consistent with what Mikling wrote, websnail (who also posts in this forum) wrote the following in the MIS forum this thread.

I've got an iP4000 and iP4200 and having just created my own iP4200 CIS unit and sourced ink for it I can tell you the following (although how much applies to MIS's ink stock I couldn't confirm).

iP4000 AND iP4200 use the same:
- Black ink (non photo)
- Cyan
- Yellow

They don't use the same
- Black Photo
- Magenta
Lilla

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
headphonesman,... On you post above you indicated that a new set of carts would restart the ink counters and display. LIkeyou said, the EEProm in the machine will also store the number of carts and the number of changes. However, in reading some of the Service Manuals, most of that kind of information can be reset when you do a EEprom reset. So If a person was to use one set of Canon carts to refill with on a regular basis, and if anything ever went wrong with the printer, it might be possilble to reset the EEprom and install new Carts. In this case there should be no problem with the warranty. In looking at the iP4000 service manual, I think that the reset codes (Power/feed switch/resume button) should be the same or very close. After all, this is the only means that any Service Tech can repair and service any machine. Does anyone know someone who already has the service manual for a machine that uses the CLI-8 chips. I will bet that the EEprom reset code will be the same for most of the iPXXXX machines.

On a slightly different subject,.. I've been refilling BCI-3eBK, and BCI-6 C,M,Y carts for about 3 years and had very little trouble. I am gong to use the same technique on my iP6600D carts. I have usually punched out or pulled out the ball. The plastic ones I pull out and the steel ones I push in. Then I use the same as a fill hole. Once filled I plug them with rubber stoppers I got with the refill kit. I've tried the glue gun technique but it leaked. I think the rubber plugs are the best. The screw and the O ring is probably just as good. I hope GRANDDAD reads this and updates us on anything new he has on chipped carts.