Canon CLI refilling experiences?

ejaf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience refilling the new Canon printers using the CLI cartridges?

I am out of luck trying to get my Canon i960 to give a good nozzle check, despite all my efforts of cleaning, so my choice is either to take a shot at buying a new printhead, and hope that's the problem, get a new or used i960 (which I love), or pick up one of the new Canon's using the CLI cartridges (ip6600D seems to fit the bill).

Despite the chip on this cartridge (which I'm sure someone will come out with a resetter soon), has anyone refilled these tanks, and just eyeballed them occasionally in order to make sure thy're not empty?

And if anyone is refillign them, what refill ink are you using? Can I use my BCI ink, and just sacrifice longevity?

Any experiences very helpful...

Eric

FYI...I have seen one company say that they have ink for the CLI cartridge, www.re-inks.com

CanonPhreak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just order some ink for a new ip4200 printer I bought from weink, who I use for my older canon printers.

I was told that resettable chips, cartridges, and a resetter will be available around June 2006.

Their ink can be found here:

http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/ultra-flo_for_canon_light_fast_inkjet_ink_3628928.htm

ejaf said:
Anyone have any experience refilling the new Canon printers using the CLI cartridges?

And if anyone is refillign them, what refill ink are you using? Can I use my BCI ink, and just sacrifice longevity?

Any experiences very helpful...

Eric

FYI...I have seen one company say that they have ink for the CLI cartridge, www.re-inks.com

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It is an interesting question if BCI-6 ink can be used in CLI cartridges. I can't think of good reasons why not. The CMY colors are really primary colors necessary for printing all the possible colors by mixing different quantities from each of the CMY ink. If one primary color is not right on the correct spot of the spectrum all other colors will be off. I can not imagine CLI cartridges will have a different CMY colors not identical to that of BCI-6's. So I will think in terms of colors the BCI-6 ink should be identical to CLI-8 colors. Canon is a memer of the International COlor Consortium (ICC?). The ink they use needs to meet the ICC standard in order to print colors correctly. If BCI-6 ink iis great on older Canon printers it should be great on new printers that use CLI-8 cartridges too. I would give it a try on CLI-8 carts if I had a printer that uses CLI-8.

ejaf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to thank you two, had to run out of country on family business, but thanks as always...

FYI...decided on sticking with BCI cartridges, since I'm receiving a iP8500 in the mail to replace my i960 momentarily.

Knew someone would come out with the chip resetter....bet you it will be out earlier than June.

Eric

aeronic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i have ordered some ink for the cli-8 series from that site - reinks.com

unsure quite how is best to refill the cart though - their instructions say to remove the ball (is that the inking hole?), but not what to do when finished!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Read the thread on resealing the fill hole on this forum. Many techniques, one of which leaves the ball in the OEM tank fill hole, makes a separate hole between the fill hole and the near end of the cart, and uses a stainless steel pan head sheet metal screw - #6 3/8 inch - with a tight fitting o-ring to act as a seal. I start the hole with a paper clip wire heated in a flame and the screw is self tapping - that is, it cuts its own size hole and threads. There are several techniques that you will find in the thread I mentioned. You should also go on the web sites of Alotofthings and MIS, both ink vendors, and look up their instructions on refilling. Lots of tips there before you start.

aeronic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
yeah, i had read the thread on hole filling before i posted earlier,

just recieved an email back from reinks, and they say to remove the ball, fill up, then replace the ball - doesnt need fastening according to them (although i think some tape over the top at least).

btw, they supply a 'tool' that screws into the ball for removal.

if that doesnt work, ill probably go the silicone caulk route, as i have some in the garage.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Easier to "punch" the ball into the reservoir area. A center punch and light tap with a hammer works fine. If you want to use that fill hole, you can order little blue plugs with a finger tab to make them easy to remove from computer friends. You will have to call them as I didn't see these as a separate item on their web site. They are really fast to remove and replace. Very cheap. They come in a bag - I think either six or twelve of them for just a few dollars.
www.cfriends.com

neal

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Please contact me at 508-856-1337. I do have a brand new print head for i960 (it is same for i950) which I can sell. Otherwise, I could buy your i960. Please see my post about i950 that I have printed about 20,000 pages. Neil

PuI2e_PLaYaZ

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
It's august 2006, almost september. I've been waiting for quite some time now. Has anyone hacked or found a way to get around the CLI-8 ink chips for refilling ?