Canon CLI refilling experiences?

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Interesting. Is that a blank cart? Where did you buy it? How difficult was it to guide the needle through the sponge? Are subsequent refills easier, because now their is a discernible "way" through the sponge? Do you think the sponge would be as resistant to a large number of piercings as the oem sponge?

Here it is said that oem carts are preferrable for this refill method (or any method, for that matter), but this could simply be a lack of testing other brands. Although I think that oems are particularly well crafted.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Defcon2k said:
Interesting. Is that a blank cart? Where did you buy it? How difficult was it to guide the needle through the sponge? Are subsequent refills easier, because now their is a discernible "way" through the sponge? Do you think the sponge would be as resistant to a large number of piercings as the oem sponge?

Here it is said that oem carts are preferrable for this refill method (or any method, for that matter), but this could simply be a lack of testing other brands. Although I think that oems are particularly well crafted.
This used cart was one of four in a printer that I received from a re-cycler.I don't know their origin.The tanks had no markings except numbers stamped on the side;an example is 'C309111'.The others have different numbers.
The 3e has a one piece sponge while the 6e's are two part.

I flushed them out and have only used one so far (3e black).
Guiding the needle through the sponge wasn't difficult once I realized that I couldn't use the 'roof line' of the tank as my path as that would damage the filter.
As to their standing up over time, I can't say, but it would probably be better when I can get a proper needle.I'm using a blunt needle which has been in-expertly sharpened.
When my printer needs the coloured carts replenished I will use the injected tanks and see how things develop.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Canon's bottom half of sponge is really a laminated layers of fiber running horizontally. It's not really a sponge but a patented layers of fibers. Piercing through it by a needle may cause some structural damage to it. But the damage will not impact the ink flow in a negative way. It won't reduce ink flow. Rather it will probably increase ink flow a little bit. As long as it does not cause a leak it is probably OK., even if you pierce it 300 times.

This refill method fills up the reserve tank fine. How about the sponge chamber. You do want to fill it up too, don't you? I guess you just retard the needle a bit and fill ink into the sponge. This is OK with me. But still you will need to plug up the hole on the cartridge or ink will leak out from the hole.

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
hpnetserver said:
This refill method fills up the reserve tank fine. How about the sponge chamber. You do want to fill it up too, don't you? I guess you just retard the needle a bit and fill ink into the sponge. This is OK with me. But still you will need to plug up the hole on the cartridge or ink will leak out from the hole.
I do not force ink into the sponge, I just fill the ink chamber and let the sponge absorb as much ink as he likes. If it was really dry (something I try to avoid), half of the ink reserve chamber or more goes into the sponge. After the sponge is saturated, I fill the ink chamber again and remove the needle.
If you do it like this, you don't need to plug up the refill hole. Ink will only leak out of the exit port and the refill hole if the ink reserve chamber is not sealed airtight, or if you forced too much ink into the cart and therefore the sponge is oversaturated. Of course you can plug up the refill hole after the refill, but it is considered unnecessary.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
hpnetserver said:
I guess you just retard the needle a bit and fill ink into the sponge. This is OK with me. But still you will need to plug up the hole on the cartridge or ink will leak out from the hole.
I have been following discussion on this method for some time and (when i get a needle that`s long enough), I intend to try it.

hpnetserver, my understanding is that you do not need to seal this needle entry hole, it is similar to the labrynth hole at the top, and situated very close to a very large hole (the ink sponge exit hole) at the bottom.

Can people using this method state the best procedure to follow ?

If it is a case of wishing to maintain the highest possible integrity of the cart , then I would re-seal the needle-hole, all I am wondering is whether its absolutely necessary, or can one leave it ready for the next re-fill?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Defcon2k your post was already on its way as I was composing mine.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You need to seal the hole. After giving it some brain storming I believe there is a problem if you do not seal the hole. You are correct that ink won't drip out of it but air will be sucked in from there. This path for air becomes a short cut for the original path. The origial air path is designed that air will reach bottom between the two tanks before reaching the exit port. The short cut changes that and air will reach the exit port first, because the path becomes much shorter through the short cut. If you measure the distance between the center of the exit port to A. bottom between two tanks, B. the original vent, and C. the new ink fill hole you drilled. You can see the C is the shortest and it allows air to reach the exit port first.

The result is you will get air into the print head, a lot more air than designed originally. You can cause a reduced feed of ink and produce a clog in the print head. But this is easy to deal with. Just seal the ink fill hole. In real life, ink will spread through the sponge when air is present in this newly created short cut path so it is probably quickly filled with ink. But potentially this can be a hazard condition wiating to harm to the print head. I would not think this is a better refilling method because of this, even if I am willing to ignore the impact to the structural integrity of the sponge from 300 times of piercing by the needle.

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I think: There is either ink fed to the printhead, or air (if there is an "air tunnel" in the sponge). If the latter is the case, it's easier for the printhead to pull air than ink, so it will suck more and more air and starve and print streaks etc.
This is not different to other refill methods: every cart will stop working sometime, resulting in a starving printhead and streaks in the print. If that happens, you can either flush or trash the cart.

I can't say much about the theoretical background of canon carts and if your air shortcut theory is plausible. The experiences collected so far indicate that you can leave the refill hole open and you don't get any air problems if you refill the cart when the sponge is still wet. If you do that, the cart seems to last as long or even longer than the ones filled with the traditional technique before you have to purge it or throw it away. This is debatable however, since I don't have exact numbers on that. In Granddad's article, he says "It has been generally accepted that it is difficult to refill Canon carts more than 5-10 times". With the injection technique I have my carts refilled 7x now, and I read some reports of 20-30 refills so far and one with 30-50 refills and still no problems. But perhaps these are extreme examples which some of you have also achieved with the other refilling methods... I don't know.

I don't want to say that this refilling method is better for the cart or the printer, but for my personal taste it's faster and easier: you need no tools beside a syringe, you don't need to worry about sealing the ink chamber airtight afterwards, and not a single drop of ink will ever leave your carts unintentionally.

This method may not be the right one for you if you want your carts to become family heirlooms which your grand-grandchildren still refill... but it may be the right one if you're looking for a quick and fuss-free technique.

And if you don't like it, please don't use it. It's not like I earn money if you're using the same technique as me... :)
I just posted it because it seemed to be unknown here and because I am quite happy with it.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This refilling method is no doubt the most creative one I am aware of. I am not against it nor lose anything to it. I just thought to share my understanding of how Canon cartridge works and what theorectical implication it may bring to the cartridge. In real life it it is proven problem free you do get a most creative and probably perfect refilling method.

I got an idea that might avoid the theoretical potential problems I was concerned about. How about use the original vent hole right at the center on the top of the cartridge above the sponge? You may still need to drill it with a small bit to enlarge it a little so that the syringe needle can get through. Then just pierce through the sponge straight toward the bottom between the two tanks. The needle will end right at the hole between the two tanks. If you tilt the cartridge so that the reserve ink tank is at the bottom you can still inject ink into the reserve tank just like what you would have done had the fill hole was drilled in your original location on the side of the main ink tank. When the reserve tank is full you just continue to fill so that the sponge gets all the ink it needs to fill up.

The difference is only in where the fill hole is selected. In this case I propose that it is the original vent hole enlarged to allow the needle to penetrate. The path the needle pierces through the sponge will not be near the exit hole so the impact to the structural integrity of the bottom half of the sponge (laminated fiber) will be minimum. The short cut of air path I was concerned about no longer exists because it is the same path designed in the OEM cartridge. You can also leave the fill hole alone after refilling. It is a vent anyway.

Just thought this is an improved filling method. It may not make much difference in real life from yours. I am going to try this out on my new ip4300 which I have not get to a point to begin refilling yet. This idean is not meant to offend yours. Please no hard feelings. Thank you.