Canon CIS (using OEM carts) : Troubleshooting tips

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Having spent, what?, nearly a year and a half or longer learning the ropes and using home grown Canon CIS kits I think I can probably share some of the troubleshooting routines I go through now to resolve problems.

Gradient banding across page
Problem: Overpressure
Solutions:
1. Increase the height of the printer in relation to the ink. The ink levels in the reservoirs should not be higher than the bottom of the printhead. Alternative solution is to use a constant pressure reservoir system.
2. Check there is air above the sponged compartment in the cartridge(s) affected. If ink exists above sponge, hold the cartridge over a tray, and allow air into the sponged part of the cartridge until the ink level is no longer visible above the sponge.

Horizontal or non-gradient banding
Problem: Insufficient ink flow:
The tubing or fitting running to your cartridges may be unable to keep up with the flow required to keep the cartridge supplied.

Solutions:
1. Check for any crimping of the tubing (lid or bend in tube may be reducing the ink flow)
2. Check for deposits or blockages in the tubing that may be reducing the flow, and clear if possible.
3. Consider getting a new kit or check that there is sufficient air buffer (bubble) in the cartridge to allow ink to be pulled from the cartridge.

Tip: Look for problems becoming more pronounced for particular colours or large areas of print.. Also try experimenting with the print speed to see if increasing speed increases the problem..

Slow degradation of ink density
Problems:
1. vent into reservoir blocked (air not replacing ink as it is used up)
2. tubing between reservoir and cartridge blocked (possibly clogged ink - pigments especially, glue, poor fitting, etc..)
3. air build up in the sponge (if it's a sponged cartridge)

Solutions:
1. Check that the reservoir has a vent hole and that it has been unplugged according to your kits instructions
2. Check the tubing for any blockages. May need to detach tube from cartridge and test using a syringe to try to draw ink through from reservoir.
3. Try repriming** the cartridge to remove the air bubbles that slow or stop ink flow in the sponge.

Ink flowing back to reservoir or completely gone from tubing
Problem: Air leak (somewhere between the printhead grommets and the reservoir end of the tubing)
Solution: Locate the leak and seal it before repriming the cartridge

One or more reservoirs empty of ink
Problems (these are issues I've observed more in Epson printers):
1. Reservoirs placed too high in relation to printhead
2. Waste ink modification fitted causes syphon effect which drains the reservoirs when a head cleaning routine is initiated
3. Spongless cartridges used in tandem with one of the above
4. Ink has leaked from the reservoir

Solutions:
1. Re-site the reservoirs to establish a greater negative pressure
- Consider use of sponged cartridges for their natural buffer effect
- Establish an air bubble buffer in the cartridge(s) to reduce likelihood of a run-away syphon
4. Check the reservoir for tell tale signs of a leak and replace

Added
Cartridge not refilling / zero ink flow in tubing when printing
Problems(s): Possible air leak but more likely air lock in sponge in cartridge
Solution: Re-prime cartridge ensuring that all air bubbles/foam has been purged from sponge (but not the area above the sponge!)

Bound to be a few others that I'll add later when I remember them.

** Repriming
- removing cartridge from printer
- seal output ink port using electrical tape
- detach tube from reservoir and plug syringe into reservoir end
- use syringe to draw air and ink out of cartridge until you have a hard vaccum
- crimp tube to retain vaccum then re-attach to reservoir before uncriming
- cartridge should then re-fill with ink with much less air than before

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Websnail, Thank you for this fine summary of the CIS lessons you have learned.

websnail said:
Gradient banding across page
Problem: Overpressure
Solution: Increase the height of the printer in relation to the ink. The ink levels in the reservoirs should not be higher than the bottom of the printhead. Alternative solution is to use a constant pressure reservoir system.
And if you do use a constant pressure reservoir system, be sure you understand the effective ink level and keep that level at or slightly below the elevation of the bottom of the printhead.

You may be able to raise the ink reservoir system somewhat if the effective ink levels are quite low. Raising the effective ink level to near the elevation of the bottom of the printhead will limit the negative pressure and its strain on any seals in the ink path.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks CF...

I've added in the section regarding syphon effects and their primary causes which applies more to Epson CIS's (yet to see all but 4. in my Canons).

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Updated original post with a few additional "banding" indicators... All this while I fight an iP4500 which is ignoring all the rules and p*ssing me off :p

narmenia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
can you update with pictures? :)

so i can compare
-Gradient banding across page
vs
-Horizontal or non-gradient banding

thanks

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Updated the information to include overfilled cartridges (overpressure issue #2) and null ink flow in the tubing (ink foam in sponge).

Pictures will be coming later today all being well.

ROX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
Updated original post with a few additional "banding" indicators... All this while I fight an iP4500 which is ignoring all the rules and p*ssing me off :p
websnail- what kind of problems are you having with the ip4500? I have a CIS on one and having problems with the head cloging all the time.

ISFuser

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been using a $AUD100 CIS (bought somewhat impulsively) with a Canon iP4500 for the past two weeks. After a traumatic start, it does work, but thus far has one problem or another every day or so. It has sponged carts and dye ink.

Not to decry the magnificient effort which has been made to "simplify" CIS usage, but it seems to only reinforce the strong impression that these things are great in principle, but difficult to keep running smoothly in practice.

I can well imagine that substitute ink vendors love these things: $100-200 at one hit, instead of the measley $20 or so for a set of non-chipped carts.

I'll try to persevere so I at least get some mileage out of the thing - unless it gets too frustrating.

Inkjet printers are a pain, but thus far there is no reasonable substitute

My thinking on ink at the present is:

* Let the genuine carts run out of ink
* Apply chip resetter
* Drill hole in top of cart and seal with tight fitting silicone bung
* Refill cart with good quality nonOEM ink
* Seal tightly and use

I have both the resetter and the bungs - latter can be relatively hard to source.

Interested in any feedback

cheers ;)

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ISFuser,

What brand is your CIS? Can you send a photo of it or a link to the seller and his model number. I or some other member might have ideas or comments, but first need to know just what CIS you have.

restoring