Canon Chip Resetter Reports

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
binkie said:
it started taking repeated efforts to properly reset a cartridge. The cartridge light would blink but not stay on. After repeated attempts a cartridge would finally light up. Now, however, I can't get the cartridge light to blink or light up. It appears as if nothing is happening when I push the cartridge into the RedSetter. I suspect that maybe the battery is too low or dead but don't have a meter to test it. It shouldn't be after only light use.

Any one else out there have similar problems and/or any suggestions?

Binkie
Similar problem , but only with PG5`s. This seeems to be because the pin interface between the Redsetter and the PG5 is more critical, and need more precise positioning and length of time connected before steady red.

Suggestion :- a few others have reported poor battery life from the start , due to either a faulty Redsetter excessive drain or a poor battery. If the latter (battery quality control is probably very cursory) , replacement with a well known brand will confirm which the problem is.
One person who had excessive drain converted his redsetter to a mains powered dc current, .........sorry , cant remember the details , but the batteries can be had very cheaply, if you go for the less well known names.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
binkie said:
I purchased a RedSetter a little over a month ago and had no trouble for about 7 resets. Then it started taking repeated efforts to properly reset a cartridge. The cartridge light would blink but not stay on. After repeated attempts a cartridge would finally light up. Now, however, I can't get the cartridge light to blink or light up. It appears as if nothing is happening when I push the cartridge into the RedSetter. I suspect that maybe the battery is too low or dead but don't have a meter to test it. It shouldn't be after only light use.

Any one else out there have similar problems and/or any suggestions?

Binkie
I dropped an email off to Michele (The US distributor for RKS RedSetter) regarding my above stated problem and got the following quick reply (See below). I can't say enough about the great service. Also, my postage expense to return to unit is minimal as Michelle is a US vendor. It's comforting to have a 2 year warranty and someone reliable who quickly answers her email to stand behind it.

If you are having problems with your RedSetter you may want to read Michelle's message.

Binkie

10/12/08 EMAIL FROM MICHELE:

Just got back from a Library Conference and see you have some problems with your resetter. Please send it back to us and we will replace it with a new one.

RKS, the company that makes these has just upgraded them. They found some bugs in the circuit board on some units where the battery after about 10 to 20 resets would burn out and it had something to do with the circuit board and not the actual battery. At any rate they have corrected this.

We are at this time still waiting on these new units to arrive. They are a full week overdue, so I am hopeful they will be here on Monday. We have just initiated a tracking of the shipment. But if you send yours back, we will ship a new upgraded model to you as soon as they arrive.

The new models also have a removable bottom so you can actually change out the battery at some point.

If you need to get some chips reset immediately, you can send your cartridge or chips to us and we will reset them for you and send them back to you. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this causes you.

Michele

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Gidday Blue !

(i.e looks like a Redsetter aimed at the Australian market....................perhaps they have "special " needs ?.........)

brendo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
SPECIAL???! why you little:eek:

At 35 dollars you cant really complain. Seeing as though its about 70 bucks to import one. I think I might get it and give it a go. Was reading the feedback and it all seems pretty positive.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
brendo said:
SPECIAL???! why you little:eek:

At 35 dollars you cant really complain. Seeing as though its about 70 bucks to import one. I think I might get it and give it a go. Was reading the feedback and it all seems pretty positive.
Sorry Brendo , I was referring to the colour primarily , (I think) , ........."Blue" "Australian term of endearment or is it "trouble" ?.....but it does look like its identical to the Redsetter in which case the price is midrange.
Working approx $2 Aust to the 1GBP.... our cheapest in the UK is $20 Aus , the next $40 Aus and the impoirt from Germany $70 Aus. Is it mains or battery tho ? I suspect battery...

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
brendo said:
Yeah, It is battery.. Says its fully replaceable with 4 screws on the bottom.
Interesting, perhaps this is Mark II , the srews arn`t present on the red one , the bottom is plastic welded on , (you can convert to screws when you eventually change the battery)