Canon Chip Resetter Reports

NOTS3W

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
headphonesman said:
Kefp said:
NOTS3W said:
. Has the reset/reuse process been confirmed to work with all Canon printers including the MP970?

Works great with CLI8 carts as well as the 5-black carts which feed my MP970 and IP4500 printers.
NOTS3W . Your memory is correct, the first resetters were used by the commercial Ink refillers, they had to ensure that the carts for resetting were given in exchange for carts from another geographical area so a reset cart did not find its way back to its original machine and be identified as previously empty when in that machine.
The Redsetter has been used here for MP600, ip5200, ip4200 , carts are returned to the same machine (usually) immediately after resetting and refilling with no apparent "memory" problem .
So we're saying that the RedSetter evidently resolves the problem that was present previously? I asked Michele about it and she didn't know anything about this although (with all due respect, Michele) she isn't the inventor so may not know how the firmware works. It wouldn't take much to randomly reset a bit or two and change a serial number to make it "new" provided that block of memory is rewriteable by the RedSetter. If it's working in your MP970, Kefp, I'll assume it will work in mine.

Thanks.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I reset and refill cartridges for my clients, using the redsetter. I have done at least 30 so far, they do not go back into the same printers they came out of, as I had collected empties before the Redsetter was available. There have been no problems reported so far.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
One further point of interest:-
One of the first carts I reset using the Redsetter was a YellowCLI8 ( originally reset and geographically identified ) obtained by exchange and purchase from Cartridge World several months ago , who had used their own (very) expensive commercial resetter.

This cart was succesfully reset and has been reset several times since and returned to its usual (4200) machine, with no apparent problem.

InkWiz

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
My Experiences..

So, I decided to buy the Canon PIXMA iP4500 Printer.

Because just the 5 cart ink set alone cost more than the printer, I bought two printers,
from different stores, just to increase the probability of getting a problem free unit.

One iP4500 open to use right away, the other stored for spare parts.

Hey, just to buy a new print head costs $50 USD on eBay, with shipping to me in Canada
of $30 , the total cost is again more than the printer picked up in the local store.

So, I really want the second printer for (1) Another 5 ink carts, (2) New Spare Print Head,
(just in case I clog it up experimenting with aftermarket inks etc..),
(3) New Waste Ink Pads, (4) anything else that can break, etc..

So, I think its a good deal. I didn't think I'd have to open the second Printer box till next year.

Canon keeps changing these printers so fast, that they become unavailable quickly, so had to buy
two at about the same time, to make sure I could do the parts swapping in the future.

First problem, my CLI-8Y Yellow ink started blinking after a few weeks of light use.

All I printed so far was about 7 CDs, and about 5 color photos on matte paper. That's it.

And already the CLI-8Y cart is acting as if empty. But, I pull out the cart and its full.

Hardly any ink used yet. Can't get it to work.

I read about the CLI-8Y yellow cart causing problems for some people, out there in the forums.

Something about a bad chip on these particular carts, a manufacturing problem at Canon.

I did alot of internet research before deciding on this printer. So, I was kind of prepared for
all sorts of things.

So, now, I'm thinking that I got one of those bad chipped carts.

One reviewer says he just called Canon and they shipped out a new CLI-8Y cart to him.

But, before I pick up the phone to call Canon, I wondered whether it could be the Printer
itself having the flaw, not recognising carts in the Yellow position in the print head.

To test this, I had to open the spare printer box, and use the spare new CLI-8Y cart.

Printer worked. The new cart recognised right away. The light on steady. No more blinking.

Swapping the CLI-8Y carts again, I check the old CLI-8Y still blinking in that slot.

So, it's not the printer, it's the CLI-8Y cart that's the problem.

Was in the market for a Sudhaus RedSetter chip resetter, didn't need until next year,
but decided to go ahead and buy it now to see if it would help.

Sure enough, today I got my Sudhaus RedSetter and, first re-tested the old failing CLI-8Y
cart in the printer, confirmed it still blinks, then put it in the Resetter for a few seconds
till the light came on steady, back into the Printer it goes, and VOILA! It now works!

So, it looks like I don't have to call Canon after all.

Hey, Sudhaus just saved Canon a service call, and the expense of shipping out a new CLI-8Y
cart to me. Maybe Canon should pay them, huh?

Anyway, we'll see if the old cart "stays good" over the next few weeks.

Right now it's working perfectly, ink mon software recognising the cart, printer
working and printing fine once again.

thought I'd share that tidbit..

fixup

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Read InkWiz's story, I sincerely suggest Canon to sell resetters. For those who do not refill, it does not matter, they still won't refill even if a resetter is available, so no any loss to Canon; but for those who do, they'll buy resetters from Canon and save Canon all the troubles and send Canon more money. Of course, Canon can also sell ink bottles and people will buy from Canon for sure even if it'll be more expensive than 3rd parties. It is absolutely a win-win thing.

Canon CEO: you should listen. Putting chips on cartridges does not bring you any more revenue but all kids of troubles. It does provide you an opportunity to sell resetters.

This is the same with music industry and has failed. It took many years for the big labels to realize the failure, interesting the printer industry is following the same stupid mistake. By forcing copying restrictions on each consumer electronics does not hurt the pirating business at all, but causes so many troubles on consumers. I don't know why those big CEOs do not understand such simple things; maybe this is why the banks are falling down.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I think it will be counter productive for Canon to do that from the profit point of view. I saw from somewhere that Canon's profit from the inkjet printer business is growing every year, while the percentage of people who refill is also growing. They probably have figured out that it won't be in Canon's best interest to offer a chip resetter.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
The furute is single use printer I think. You just buy the machine make some prints and trow it away. Because Canon and all other manufacturers will never make money on printers, by using single use printers they will make 100% percent profit. No cartridges that you can remove or refill imagine what a world it would be :(

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Smile said:
The furute is single use printer I think. You just buy the machine make some prints and trow it away. Because Canon and all other manufacturers will never make money on printers, by using single use printers they will make 100% percent profit. No cartridges that you can remove or refill imagine what a world it would be :(
I don't think that this would "fly".
In this age, "green" is in.
A throw-away printer would not be very well received.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Hmm so what will those big companies do when they shrink cartridge size to 1 ml or less? Do they plan to increase the size eventually?

HP and Canon has cartridges with 3ml per color ink that is way low don’t you think, it will takes a few years to go this shrinking road. And I don’t think they will increase cartridge size either.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Sorry, nope.
I stand by post #198.

They will try to find other ways to ream us, and they probably will.....for a while :)