Canon Chip Resetter Reports

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
fixup said:
Received my red toy today, very good built. Hard to believe such a little thing cost as much as a printer, Why not Canon sell such a genuine resetter?
Hmmm....could it be for the same reason that Canon doesn't sell ink refill kits ? :rolleyes:

mocars2

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Those of you that got the red resetter did anyone get the kit with the ink too? I saw one report comparing oem with the sadhaus ink that comes with the kit and it didn't seem close to the oem Canon ink. For $10 more and you get 5 1oz. bottles and syringes and needles that seems like a good deal. What do you guys think?

Inkin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To bypass the ink monitor on Canon printers.

Read your manual for your printer for disable ink monitor.

Its different for the two cartridge system to the color individual cartridges.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
jackson said:
I ordered one today.
$53.19 Can or 33.34
Redsetter "mit batterie" arrived from Germany today.
I shall have to push more paper through the printer to get a cart to test.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Redsetter that I ordered from Michele through her special offer to InkJet Forum members arrived today. The Masthead on the accompanying paperwork was from InkJetReset.com and stated that they were the "Exclusive US Distributors for RKS Technik Products". I feel more secure in dealing with an American Company about customer service in the event of future troubles.

I reset all five chips in my MP530 quickly and without incident and am looking forward to many more successful refills and resets. Hopefully, the chips on my cartridges will hold up over time. It should be easier on my cartridges and chips, now that I don't have to keep taking them out to check the ink levels. I'm a Happy Camper!

The $53.50 cost is still a bit high, but it doesn't look like that will lower much in the near future.

Binkie

fixup

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If I don't refill and buy Canon carts, it cost more than $53 just for one replacement of all the 5 carts, so it is well worth it as you get the money back within a year. The hardware piece of course does not cost $53 to build. With this resetter, I no long have the chance to run out ink in the middle of a long document with the computer without knowing, which is nightmare.

Update: finally the Canon printer driver says the PGI-5BK is running low. Took it out, yes, the tank is empty. Put it on the red resetter, the LED lit up after 1 second or so and then turned off. Refilled it with Hobbicolors pigment ink by the German method and put it back into the printer. Now the Canon printer driver says it is full. Did a nozzle check and it looked perfect. Cannot be happier!

NOTS3W

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is all very good information and it seems that the RedSetter from Michele is the way to go in the US. Some months ago, when I first got my Pixma MP970, I recall a discussion of potentially resetting the carts and an issue with reusing the same cartridge in the same printer even if it was reset. It had to do with serial numbers and the printer remembering the last x cartridges that had been used. Of course, I can no longer find mention of that after hours of wading through the threads here. Affordable resetters weren't available then, so it may have been pure speculation. Has the reset/reuse process been confirmed to work with all Canon printers including the MP970?

Kefp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
TS9020, Pro100
NOTS3W said:
. Has the reset/reuse process been confirmed to work with all Canon printers including the MP970?

Works great with CLI8 carts as well as the 5-black carts which feed my MP970 and IP4500 printers.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Kefp said:
NOTS3W said:
. Has the reset/reuse process been confirmed to work with all Canon printers including the MP970?

Works great with CLI8 carts as well as the 5-black carts which feed my MP970 and IP4500 printers.
NOTS3W . Your memory is correct, the first resetters were used by the commercial Ink refillers, they had to ensure that the carts for resetting were given in exchange for carts from another geographical area so a reset cart did not find its way back to its original machine and be identified as previously empty when in that machine.
The Redsetter has been used here for MP600, ip5200, ip4200 , carts are returned to the same machine (usually) immediately after resetting and refilling with no apparent "memory" problem .