Canon Chip Resetter Reports

tgame

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
tgame said:
binkie said:
RKS also has a Canon chip setter for sale over at Ebay . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sid=m37&satitle=160240400313&category0=&fvi=1

That gives us two choices- Redsetter and RKS. Any reviews on each would be appreciated. The prices are a bit steep, but affordable when considered against buying OEM cartridges or burning out a print head or two by disabling the ink monitoring.

Binkie
I've just received the RKS one this morning and have avidly tried it all out and everything has been perfectly simple and satisfactory so far. Such a pleasure to have the cartridge ink levels showing again.
Folks I'm really sorry but I think I have the Redsetter. I intended to order the RKS and thought I had done so but I've been studying details and pics and it seems clear I have the Redsetter. Alas I didn't keep the receipt so can't really confirm. This isn't quite the idiot performance it sounds. Trying to get the jist of the German was a real problem, and obviously I got it wrong. My sorrow is for misleading you all not for myself. I have something that works simply and well, and, as long as it is actually counting ink used, I am entirely happy. I'm not technical and have no real interest in anything beyond that my resetter does work.

shandi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I ordered the Redsetter two weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet. I'd love to tell how it works after using it. :)

BTW, $60 for a Canon chip Resetter? you mean this one from China? Has everyone brought one?

Cleancity

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have ordered Canon CLI 8 chip resetter on their website. But they emailed me and saied that it wouldn't be shipped out until June the 5th. Before ordering the resetter, I saw the introduction of this resetter. It is detailed. And also, they have vedio about how to use the resetter on Youtube, which is not very clear.

This website has two kinds of chip resetter. The other one is in http://www.inkmaxhk.com/Product_5925.aspx.

stuko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I got my Redsetter today and tried it out immediately, and...

IT WORKS!!!!*

I ordered it directly from them and it took just over 2 weeks to arrive down-under. I got it in the kit with the ink and the whole package is a very well made, professional looking product. The redsetter itself is very nicely built and has an LED that glows under the end of the cart to light it up and tell you it has reset it. Shoved them back into my printer (I had already refilled them) and viola, ink level indicator is back to full.

* I have only tried it on my CL8-Y and M carts so far as they were almost empty - the rest of my carts are still half full and unmolested - so I'm keeping them that way until they too run out.

After seeing it for myself, I believe that the redsetter will work fine on all of them.

Oh yeah, I got it from here...
http://www.patronenhandel.de/produc...Chip-Redsetter-for-Canon-CLI-8-and-PGI-5.html

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
stuko & those who also purchased the Redsetter.

Does your package comes with those ink? What is the weight of the whole package & just the redsetter alone? Euro dollars item plus shipping is too costly for me.

I suppose you guys purchase the Redsetter with the battery instead of the one that comes with the power supply adapter.

Great that's it's working for you guys.

stuko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
lin said:
Does your package comes with those ink? What is the weight of the whole package & just the redsetter alone? Euro dollars item plus shipping is too costly for me.
Package with ink is around 500g - (it came nicely double boxed).
The redsetter itself is only around 30g.
I actually bought 4 packages, with a view to selling 3 of them locally on eBay here in Oz to offset some of my shipping costs. It was the same shipping for 4 as it was for 1. I see now they are selling themselves directly on eBay, but I should be able to undercut them on the total price, and offer a much faster local shipping service.

lin said:
I suppose you guys purchase the Redsetter with the battery instead of the one that comes with the power supply adapter.
Yeah built in battery, I read somewhere that you can easily crack it open and put a new button cell in if you ever need to.

lin said:
Great that's it's working for you guys.
I agree, it has been a very long time coming, but it is finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
stuko, thanks for the reply.

I wonder what happen if the battery is running low and user unknowing perform the resetting. Will it cause any 'haywire' during the reset to the chip when the battery suddenly goes flat and whether will it render the chip 'reset corrupted' or whatever it should be called in english term? Because I think the Redsetter doesn't have any led to indicate the battery is low/empty etc. The led-light is only an indication of successful reset to the chip. However, the recent cost of the chip resetter has come down remarkably compare to what it was before thousands & $300+++. This is really a great news for many canon chip printer users.

For me, if I were to purchase it rather someone purchase for me (esp those reside in euro as from what I see the shipping to euro countries seems to be cheaper)and ship me the redsetter and keep the ink to minimize the shipping cost. But I doubt the possibility of this happening.

stuko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
lin said:
I wonder what happen if the battery is running low and user unknowing perform the resetting. Will it cause any 'haywire' during the reset to the chip when the battery suddenly goes flat and whether will it render the chip reset corrupted' or whatever it should be called in english term?
I highly doubt data corruption would be an issue. EEPROM/FLASH chips only allow themselves to be re-programmed if the programming voltage is high enough. The programming voltage is usually significantly higher than the normal operating voltage for precisely this reason.
Also, the redsetter LED flashes once when you first seat the cart in it, then a few seconds later it lights continuously to say it is finished. I would assume you would get no continuous light at the end if the battery was too low to program, and the cart chip would be unchanged. It says the battery is good for 500+ resets, so you may have to throw away your printer anyway if you need to refill that many times as it would be seriously worn out.

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
shandi said:
I ordered the Redsetter two weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet. I'd love to tell how it works after using it. :)

BTW, $60 for a Canon chip Resetter? you mean this one from China? Has everyone brought one?
I don't own any of the resetters available, but I think the resetter from your link is a little bit more difficult to handle.
They have a YT video of the resetter ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFOYEnV5xZI ) and there you can see that you have to connect the resetter to the printer with a USB cable (perhaps only for electricity) und you have to put a special "dummy cart" into the printer (connected to the resetter with another cable).
I think the Redsetter needs no connection whatsoever (see the druckerchannel.de test here). I'm not sure about the RKS resetter.

Btw, the test also has an inside picture of the redsetter (battery version):
sudhaus_canon_resetter_redsetter_cli_pgi_redsetter_platine_gehaeuse_l0ee46.jpg

gumpy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
stuko,

when do you think you will be flogging them on ebay Iam interested here in QLD.

gumpy