Canon 7D Mk II

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I can't imagine the moon will be detectably different on 24th(correction) January 2016. One thing that puzzles me is the bright highlight, on the left of my image, I have never seen it before. Are there any experts who can identify its origin?

Perhaps it was the space station passing across or may be as ISF mentioned Santa on his annual journey. Or perhaps someone has sneaked in a lunar space centre made of shiny aluminised plastic! :)

Further research:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Moon+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj26PWYuYPKAhXJWBQKHTDeAfAQsAQIIw&biw=1716&bih=965#imgrc=8VRywGF1JNfHNM:

and

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Full_moon.jpeg

does show it to be a commonly visible feature, but not normally so bright.

These, I think, are the best fly-bye images of the same spot:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/cla/info/c21/

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/cla/info/c23/

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the bright highlight may be a headlight of Santa's sledge, or you check with your astronomical society whether somebody made some fireworks up there, or a passing satellite. The moon won't be much different on Jan 21, but that's a different date....

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I came across this site:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Recommendations.aspx

while looking at Canon lenses for the 7DII. It has a number of recommendation categories covering most requirements and allows fairly quick assessment of the possible choices - worth a look.:drool

From my viewpoint more a commercial advertisement for Canon's high end lenses rather than an objective comparison of the merits of various lenses. A very biased review.

Admittedly, in the second paragraph he devotes one sentence to the possibility of other brands, namely Sigma, Tamron, Samyang, Tokina and Zeiss, but that is as far as he goes.

Not that I am against Canon lenses. If you are a professional business spending corporate dollars then the expense of the Canon product is easily justified. Something like the mantra from the 60's and 70's - "Nobody got fired buying IBM products". Then along came microcomputers and Steve Jobs.

However, if you are a serious amateur spending your limited after tax dollars. My opinion is that there are better choices than Canon for certain applications. Non of these options are even mentioned in the article. Even though a number of leading professional use these alternatives and publish the advantages.

Also from my location the description only links to B&H. I suspect a by product of internet connectivity and linked advertising. Again I am not against it, but it is important to recognize it for what it is.

I rate the value of the article 3 out of 10. The advice is reasonable. The money you would spend to follow it - outrageous.

OK rant off. Wearing my curmudgeon hat today, and obviously too much time on my hands. :)

rs

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Canon reviews were exactly what I was looking for! You obviously have a bee in your bonnet!:)

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Canon reviews were exactly what I was looking for! You obviously have a bee in your bonnet!:)

Your point is quite valid. It was a Canon centric evaluation, albeit with an ambiguous title. Nothing wrong with that. The author is entitled... etc.

I was expecting a balanced comment on the merits of various lenses for Canon cameras.

Sometimes playing the role of the B**** makes for interesting comments/replies.

rs
"the triangular peg in a world of square and round holes" :mad:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
...the possibility of other brands...

I own only 2 Sigma lenses, the 180mm f:3.5 macro, and the 30mm 1.4 as lower cost alternatives.
But they sell a lot of very average lenses, and their teles are much heavier and less sharp than Canons.

...The advice is reasonable. The money you would spend to follow it - outrageous.

I agree, but there are few alternatives (for wildlife and birds in my case).
People spend a lot of money for their sports/hobbies (do you know how much bikes cost nowadays ?)

...Then along came microcomputers and Steve Jobs...

Possibly, but if you had jumped in every new camera system announcing the dead of the classic DSLR you would have lost a lot more money than staying with Canon (or Nikon).

Latest posts