Canon 7D Mk II

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Just to clarify things...

Most of Emu's improvements had nothing to do with sharpening.

Wasn't it Ansell Adams that decried a sharp image of a fuzzy concept, or something like that.

rs

Sounds as if it could be one of his......but then a whole lot of photographers manage to take a sharp concept, and turn it into a fuzzy image...!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Again there is a vest different in the two Pics but there is still a need to hold both of them at arms length to appreciate the evening sky looking north.

The added extras are by far much better to look at with so much more detail in them and especially the blue sky which has less noise in it, there is a little breakout of pixels in a few spots dough but at a respectable distance it goes unnoticed.
The edited pic above is better to view enlarged than the one below.
TheHat5.jpg

There is clearly far more to be gained by selective editing on most photos as @Emulator has demonstrated even with my two excuses for art, I reckon I should stick to printing and leave the photography to those that know what they are doing behind a camera..

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
You have to remember that this last image is only an 82KB jpg, normally you would have 5MB or so to play with in the original image. There will be a lot of defects in this image which would not be present in the original full sized image. But it does give an indication of what is possible.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
This question is for Roy or any other 7D II owner.

I noticed the "Flexizone" option in I think it was screen 1 sub 4 of the Menu facility.

This seems to cover the settings of the autofocus for image target tracking. Not entirely straight forward instructions in the handbook to understand the full capability of the camera.

Am I correct in assuming that this facility (i.e. focus tracking) is only available when using "Live View"?

If so that's a bit disappointing.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

I noticed the "Flexizone" option in I think it was screen 1 sub 4 of the Menu facility.

This seems to cover the settings of the autofocus for image target tracking. Not entirely straight forward instructions in the handbook to understand the full capability of the camera.

Am I correct in assuming that this facility (i.e. focus tracking) is only available when using "Live View"?

Hi Emu,

Away from my home computer till later this evening. Will reply in more detail then.

I am pretty sure I have used focus tracking from the main viewfinder. Agree the setup and instruction as complicated. I have set mine to parameters that seem to work most of the time and tended not to fiddle.

Again is is one of those things I keep meaning to look into when I get the time.

rs

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

Hi Emulator,

9.30pm Eastern here in North America. Guess all the boys and girls in Euroland are fast asleep. Anyway back to the Canon 7Dii Autofocus Tracking subject.

Firstly you can definitely activate it through the viewfinder. You are certainly not limited to the live view mode, which would defeat the object of tracking fast moving subject on an erratic trajectory.

Regrettably I am having trouble finding some of my earlier notes on the subject that I had I had saved as PDF files for occasions just like this :eek:

However couple of youtube videos that may find helpful are at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u466WL71J1E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpFezdEC4d4

In both cases the subject you are looking for is towards the end. They start with the simple stuff first.

There is also a wealth of information on the subject on youtube, with the usual caveat that this is the internet, so verify that the source you select actually has a passing knowledge of the subject being discussed, and is not just another blowhard wannabe windbag.

Hope this is of some use.

rs

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks Roy, there certainly is a mass of information in the videos, the problem is absorbing it. You really need a disciplined training session with intensive practice of each category.

I have bookmarked those two videos and will have to have practice sessions.

In 2014 I switched over to "back button focusing" and then found some weeks later that focusing wasn't functioning as it should, just when I need to take some quick shots. It took me 1/4 of an hour to find/remember, that I had not switched back to shutter release focusing.:)

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Now that this thread has been reactivated, this photo of the night sky post #252, it hurt to see it again so soon, because last Saturday a Developer who was working in that field used a digger to push over that wonderful 30 metre old tree, (Centred) and all I got left is the photo for a reminder now..:hit

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Change your pic to this one.

patch.JPG

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Emulator, that’s exactly what I can see now, but I originally shot the Pic because of that tree.
It’s just another simple way of increasing our own carbon foot print.. :(