Canon 7D Mk II

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
This must be the one:
http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/kings-canyon.html

I think I would do the helicopter flight from Kings Creek Station instead.
Still avoids picture of the actual climb. Must be written by a young fit marketer!!! There are steps in places or few would make it. Helicopter would be the go, don't know where they might land!!
Some of those steps are twice the height of a normal step. By the time a person gets 1/4th up with a pack it becomes a willpower 'thing' I did it with one stop along the way. Took a few pics ALL oof did not notice till I processed. Spent a good 15 min in 'recovery' before starting the actual rim walk proper. There are few trees, not a lot of shade and clear sky's ......a person knows they have done it when they get back down.
We started just on dawn 6am and got back to base at 2:15pm, most got back later.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Emulator getting back on topic how are you progressing with the mkII, is it delivering all that you hoped for?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
My apologies, I have drifted off.

No more startling discoveries, but I am becoming more familiar with the M II controls. I picked up the Mk I the other day and found I couldn't find the control I wanted!

I am in the process of obtaining an EF70-200 F4L IS USM as a compromise between weight and performance, which made me think of your comments about Kings Canyon or was it the other way around.

I am also waiting for Roy's comments and pictures, he has remained completely silent on the Mk II.

One thing that I have found, is that if you accidentally leave the HDR function in operation, you miss the next vital shot, because the camera takes relatively ages to process the images.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
My apologies, I have drifted off.

No more startling discoveries, but I am becoming more familiar with the M II controls. I picked up the Mk I the other day and found I couldn't find the control I wanted!

I am in the process of obtaining an EF70-200 F4L IS USM as a compromise between weight and performance, which made me think of your comments about Kings Canyon or was it the other way around.

I am also waiting for Roy's comments and pictures, he has remained completely silent on the Mk II.

One thing that I have found, is that if you accidentally leave the HDR function in operation, you miss the next vital shot, because the camera takes relatively ages to process the images.
There are three lenses that the Canon cameras seem to like a LOT.
1) 24 - 70 L mkII is a tad sharper than the original, but enough to make it worth the money.
2) 70-200 f4 L is a quiet achiever, the 2.8 is favoured but I would not do a swap for free. The IS in this lens just rocks.
The fella that shot my daughters wedding used both of the above too and his results were great, so I don't just have a good copy.
3) 300 f2.8 L prime, even second hand just out of my reach.
It's a good sign when you pick up the old one and lose the controls, means you have muscle memory working for you.

Cheers
Andrew

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Been playing around with EF70-200 F4L IS on the 7D II, following 3dogs recommendation.

It is said to be an excellent lens with a remarkable 4 stop image stabilizer.

Here is a quick test, hand held, through double glazing, of a pipe vent, which Google tells me is 75 meters distant, on a dull, cloudy day.(see arrow pointer on image 1.)

Image one 70mm, image two 200mm enlarged and cropped.

Vent1.jpg Vent2.jpg

Vent 4.jpg

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Been playing around with EF70-200 F4L IS on the 7D II, following 3dogs recommendation.

It is said to be an excellent lens with a remarkable 4 stop image stabilizer.

Here is a quick test, hand held, through double glazing, of a pipe vent, which Google tells me is 75 meters distant, on a dull, cloudy day.(see arrow pointer on image 1.)

Image one 70mm, image two 200mm enlarged and cropped.

View attachment 2543 View attachment 2544

View attachment 2546

Coupla quick thoughts.
Obviously glass between is not ideal, and looking at the stack with what I expect from this lens, I would be thinking that focus was not on the stack. At that distance at 200mm I want to see better than that. This lens will, with practice give you far better resolution than that. Those leaves MAY have something to do with it, but again I expect focus to be able to ignore that.
What are your thoughts on these images?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Under the conditions, where you could not see the small grill with the naked eye and there is a branch over the top, I thought the camera and lens did an excellent job, on a bright day and no glass, you would see some contrast.

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Under the conditions, where you could not see the small grill with the naked eye and there is a branch over the top, I thought the camera and lens did an excellent job, on a bright day and no glass, you would see some contrast.

Agree, and glad you like the lens, I learned a lot about the 70-200 F4 l watching the Pro Wedding Photographer. He used the lens in ways that I would normally use a far shorter lens in what is described as 'walk around' shooting. I am unable to pick which lens he is using looking at the portfolio he gave Aislinn.
I must say I had a paradigm working putting the 200mm part of the lens into long thinking, and that excluded a lot of the one lenses ability to capture and show detail used in 'normal' situations. The lens only got used when I needed to reach out to bring far away things closer.
Really when you think about it a 100mm is a good portrait fl. somehow I got fixed on the '200-70' end rather than thinking the other way around about '70-200'. This resulted in me having two quite distinctly opposite ways of using the 24-105mm, and the 70-200mm.
Its hard to explain what I mean, but what I saw was the Pro getting into scenes that I would have shot and getting far, far more out of it than I was, and he did that by using the longer lens from exactly the same spot as he had just shot with his 24-70. I think that it gives one the ability to get the scene you want overall but it has the added benefit of isolation (by focus) what you have selected as your subject. That idea came as quite a shock to the system I must say but, I am so glad to have been able to get that experience and see what it can add to a persons expression of a scene by format and focus alone in camera.
I have done 2 years now with only the 24-105 on the camera. Now its about time to swap and learn the lessons I saw from the wedding photographer.
Sorry about being a bit long winded, but hopefully it will add to the value you get from your lens.

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Yes, it's early days yet and you can also use the 1.4 converter on this lens/camera combination. That was taken from my armchair, but I am looking forward to more active use and experimentation!:)