Canon 7D Mk II

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I own only 2 Sigma lenses, the 180mm f:3.5 macro, and the 30mm 1.4 as lower cost alternatives.
But they sell a lot of very average lenses, and their teles are much heavier and less sharp than Canons.

I agree, but there are few alternatives (for wildlife and birds in my case).
People spend a lot of money for their sports/hobbies (do you know how much bikes cost nowadays ?)

Possibly, but if you had jumped in every new camera system announcing the dead of the classic DSLR you would have lost a lot more money than staying with Canon (or Nikon).

All good points and for the most part I am in complete agreement.

However, unless a photographer is exceedingly talented, or a working professional who "has to get the shot" to be paid, we are the problem and not our gear. By "we" I mean the average amateur with copious amounts of expensive gear and limited talent.

As the saying goes - Amateurs obsess over gear, professionals obsess over the money, and photographers obsess over the light.

Now if only I could buy some expensive golf clubs to enable me to play golf like Jordon Speith!

rs

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not going for the winning shot for a competition, when I go to parties, or events or .. I just try to take some shots with and for the people attending or visiting and as a piece of my and their memory. But even this requires some particular hardware performance like lens speed or autofocus accuracy. And whether it's Nikon or Sigma or Tamron or ...I pick the lens which suits and performs best for me, and if I'm not getting happy with a particular lens I go for an alternative. I typically buy a lens used, I would have less loss if I resell it again, and if I would buy a new lens it probably would end up in a similar condition after some years as well.There are abundant sources of lens tests out there, you have to read 5 - 10 of those to get most aspects of their performance, one likes the finish of the metal barrel, the next one does not like the plastic, the next one does not like the position of the AF switch, and you have all the MFT diagrams etc. And you have the money to buy this one, and not enough money to buy another one.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
However, unless a photographer is exceedingly talented, or a working professional , we are the problem and not our gear. By "we" I mean the average amateur with copious amounts of expensive gear and limited talent
Where does that leave the likes of me..?

I buy a camera that’s easy to use and nothing else matters after that and if it can’t fill that one criteria then I move to one that does, I don’t like all these different settings.

I has several Fuji cameras that I liked, but one kept running out of battery life (Over night) and the other, I just couldn’t get to auto focus on close ups (Less than 60 cm distance) every time, but I now have a Lumix 48, and I know it wouldn’t light up the world for most you guys but it works easy for me, it was the cheapest of the three and suits me far better.

I had a Russian SLR film camera years ago and an extra telephoto lens for it but never found the long shots suited me because I felt I wasn’t really there when the photo was been taken, and if I got a good photo then it’s just pure fluke.

I don’t even feel comfortable carry one around with me, because I’m just not a camera kind of guy.. :hu

Hector Vilches

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
R2000, 3880, PRO-100, PRO-10
I admit, I have not read the whole thread...

I use a 7D and 7D mk2, ready with different lenses, and both are very capable. For what I shoot, the 1.6 crop factor on both is a plus, for greater reach. The additional auto focus abilities of the mk2 are awesome, and the super quite shutter mode comes in handy when wearing full camo to remain hidden. I've made "wow" shots at ISO 6000... Better to have a noisy shot than no shot at all. Plus, the ability to use extenders and still have working autofocus also comes in handy

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
PLEASE, lets not start a DPR-like thread,

"............I bought a Canon 24mm Mk 19 and have peeped at every single one of the 238,000 pix and can't find one that is oof whereas my Sima has 4 oof pix...."""""

Amen to that one!

You are now officially on Amazon's Sh*t list. :)

rs

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Roy

I was already on that one and many, many others AND my back bristles with sharp knives that RIPPLE under my shirt like muscles..:weee:lol: