Cannon i9950 - waste ink absorber full - reset instructions don't fix

mmp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello - pls help asap

our Cannon i9950 ink jet printer opens a window on our screens saying that he waste ink absorber is full...

i have read online that you can send it in to Cannon for repair but it is costly and (obviously) takes time and it's better to buy new...

i have also read online that you can reset the counter so that the messages goes away and the printer works normally...i have followed the instructions - turn off printer, hold down feed button then on button, blah, blah, blah...the printer works but we still get the same message each time we wanna print and have to stand by the printer and hit the feed button for each page...

i also read somewhere online to take the print head out and clean the waste ink absorber but cannot find those instructions again - anyone know where i can find them or have alternate instructions??

thanks in advance
mmp

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Some of the Canon printers will not reset with the print head in the printer. Remove the ink cartridges, then the print head and try the reset procedure again. Just replacing the waste ink pad won't reset the error message.

Replacing the Waste ink pad requires you to take the printer apart to get to the pad. It's located on the bottom of the printer housing. It's quite a job to get to it.

I reset a S9000's waste ink error message years ago and didn't replace the pad. As far as I know the printer is still working fine without a overflow of waste ink. You should be able to get away without replacing the pad one time, then I would look at getting the pad replaced.

If you can't get it to reset you have to take it to a Canon Service center and have them replace the pad and reset the printer.
From what I understand the Service center charges around $100.00.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have an i9900, which I believe is the North American version of your i9950.

I reset the waste level with these instructions I found here a couple of years ago...I hope it works for you.

Best of luck!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the procedure to reset waste ink for Canon i9900

1) With the printer powered off, hold down the resume button and press the power button.

2) While holding down the power button, release the resume button and press the resume button twice in succession. Now release the power
button. The indicator will blink in green and remain lit in green.

3) Press resume 4 times (Green) for Waste ink counter reset.

4) Press the power button. The printer will switch itself off after performing the function. When you start it again, it should respond as new.

mmp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Mauchau

So now there is a new message "wrong printhead". Everything was working okay, I changed an ink cartridge and now this message.
Help!

Thanks
Moji

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have had that message on several different printers and in every case, there was nothing I could do to fix it. You need a new print head. On one of them, it would go away after the printer had been off overnight but it would come back again after a few minutes of being on. I was hoping a thorough cleaning of the print head would fix it but it just made it permanent.