Can somebody look at my nozzle check printout ??

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
The newer European cartridges has a "5" as the first digit, and the newer American cartridges have a "2" as the first digit.

The PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges I refilled using the German method did not start causing problems with ink flow until after maybe 5 or more refills. A sponge from a cut open cartridge clearly showed needle damage:

6881_needle_damage2.jpg

This is why I recommend using the top fill method for the newer cartridges. With the "zero clearance" plugs plus aluminium tape the sealing problems with the top fill method are non-existent IMO.

I thought I read about the "5" and "2" thing in another thread the other day.
I will admit there have been a couple of times the needle did not want to go all the way into the last chamber and I had to remove it and try again at a slightly different angle. So now I am very careful when inserting it that I am at right angles to the cart top and the side but with a slight upward angle (towards the bottom of the cart) but sometimes I still miss. I took all my needles which were blunt 20 gage held them to the side of a fine grinder wheel so as to sharpen them to a point just like a medical needle. Then I hand polished them on a honing stone to get them as sharp as possible. I can see where a blunt needle might try to push the sponge instead of piercing it. Do you know if you were using a blunt needle?? This is very interesting as I orginaly thought about this happening when I first started with the German method. When it comes down to it I may open up one of these carts Im having trouble with now to look at how the needle has pierced the sponge. Thats a great pic and think it should be posted somewhere where everyone might see what can happen.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I'm using 2" 21g sharp needles for German refill with squeeze bottles. The transparent BCI-3e/6 and PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges seem not to be harmed by the needle. In Denmark one can legally buy sharp needles at any pharmacy.

It has been debated whether sharp or blunt needles are best for the German refill method. Some say the best method is to use a large sewing needle to create a passage through the sponge and then use blunt needles for the refill.

I cannot rule out that my sponge damage was caused by using a sharp needle, but I tried blunt needles and found it more difficult to insert the needle.

These needles are intended for single use only, but refillers use them many times. Maybe a worn tip that is no longer perfectly sharp causes more needle damage?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I found the German method for me was clumsy and cumbersome and I was never happy using this method, I was using 16 gauge blunt needles so it’s now perfectly obvious why I had all the trouble, it’s a good job @stratman is not available for comment because he’d have my ass for being such a stupid idiot..:smack

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
I found the German method for me was clumsy and cumbersome and I was never happy using this method, I was using 16 gauge blunt needles so it’s now perfectly obvious why I had all the trouble, it’s a good job @stratman is not available for comment because he’d have my ass for being such a stupid idiot..:smack

I think the method is the greatest and the easiest to use. Once the little side hole is drilled ( and you must drill it in the right spot.) As close to the bottom of the cart as you can and in the center (width wise). If its drilled right the needle will slip right in all the way. I used to fill a lot of these in advance for myself and then seal the hole with alum tape to protect against evaporation. But then I realized I only need two sets of the carts using one as a backup so there was really no need to seal the hole as long as they were being rotated in a timely manner. So that just makes it that much easier, like I said just insert the needle and squeeze and you are done. Im using opaque carts now so I use a scale to weigh to make sure I am filling close to the capacity. I can tell Im filled by watching the prism to completely fill with ink. Consider trying it again with a good sharp needle and you may be surprised. Some place I saw a cross section of a cart maybe a cli-8 where you could see the path the needle must take to enter the area just past the prism. This can be tricky to understand and probably that pic should accompany the description of the German method for anybody new to this refilling method. The pic from Peter is interesting and I wonder how many German carts are in that condition. I firmly believe a good sharp needle will puncture the sponge fairly easily as long as you don't try and ram in there. Remember it is a "virgin":rolleyes::woot

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
it’s a good job @stratman is not available for comment because he’d have my ass for being such a stupid idiot..:smack
:D

Like the wise old Irish saying goes, vive la difference my brother The Hat. :hugs