Can somebody look at my nozzle check printout ??

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
I get the same issue once in a blue moon with my pigment black nozzle check too, I found that just taking out the cartridge and dropping the tiniest drop of windex on the receiving port where the pigment black slots in cures it every time. I am living in super low humidity here so that doesn't help matters, so I regularly nozzle check to keep things moving in the print head.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
I get the same issue once in a blue moon with my pigment black nozzle check too, I found that just taking out the cartridge and dropping the tiniest drop of windex on the receiving port where the pigment black slots in cures it every time. I am living in super low humidity here so that doesn't help matters, so I regularly nozzle check to keep things moving in the print head.

Ill give it a try, right now we are going through very low humidity also.
Thanx!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990

i have also used this trick with success. It is a good thing to try before removing the print head for cleaning outside the printer, which is more risky.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
i have also used this trick with success. It is a good thing to try before removing the print head for cleaning outside the printer, which is more risky.

Well, my problems have again come back to haunt me. :( I can print with OEM Canon carts AOK but not with my refilled carts. I must confess that I only use black dye based ink. So both my bk and pgbk carts have the same ink. Im starting to wonder if my black ink has spoiled . I tried putting a drop of windex in the print head supply ports and this seems to temporarily cure the problem but then it comes right back. All the ink I have right now is over a year and a half old. Is this to old? :confused: Ive been using inks from printerfillingstation.com now for over 10 years with no problems. Is there a way to tell if this ink is spoiled or to old? Can this be causing these temporary ink clogs???:idunno

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If the printer is OK with the OEM cartridges the problem must be caused by your refilled cartridges which does not deliver enough ink. Dripping Windex, ink or water in the ink inlet temporarily supplies the ink the print head is being starved of.

Both the cartridge and the ink can be causing the problem.

When the OEM cartridge is used up I suggest to refill it with IS ink from Precision Colors and use the topfill method, I have experienced ink flow problems with PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges which I think were caused by needle damage to the sponges.

Even if I think the German method refill using squeeze bottles is a very elegant method and my preferred refill method for transparent cartridges, I think topfilling is the best method for the newer windowed and opaque cartridges, that are possibly more fragile than the older transparent cartridges.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
If the printer is OK with the OEM cartridges the problem must be caused by your refilled cartridges which does not deliver enough ink. Dripping Windex, ink or water in the ink inlet temporarily supplies the ink the print head is being starved of.

Both the cartridge and the ink can be causing the problem.

When the OEM cartridge is used up I suggest to refill it with IS ink from Precision Colors and use the topfill method, I have experienced ink flow problems with PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges which I think were caused by needle damage to the sponges.

Even if I think the German method refill using squeeze bottles is a very elegant method and my preferred refill method for transparent cartridges, I think topfilling is the best method for the newer windowed and opaque cartridges, that are possibly more fragile than the older transparent cartridges.

I just placed an ink order with precision inks. I will give their inks a try based on the recomendations from several people on this site. Im going to flush another set of carts to make ready for this new ink. But my question is still unanswered. Is my existing ink spoiled, and how to tell or how old is too old??.... I seem to use ink in spurts. Some years 8oz black will last only a year and sometimes almost 2 years. :idunnoI hate to think here that all along the problem has been bad ink.
Ive been refilling Canon carts now for close to 5 years all but about 6 months using the German method and never had such problems as Im having now.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
To test if the old ink is bad, I recommend flushing and drying two virgin empty carts. Top fill one with the new IS ink and one with your old ink. If both cartridges behave well, the refilled cartridges are the problem.

:idunnoI hate to think here that all along the problem has been bad ink.
Ive been refilling Canon carts now for close to 5 years all but about 6 months using the German method and never had such problems as Im having now.

Does this mean you have been refilling for 5 years but only used the German method for 6 months, and your problems started with using the German method? If so I recommend going back to top fill, and discard the cartridges that were refilled using the german method. The cartridges are then most likely damaged. Save the chips if you discard the cartridges. Mark the chips with type, for instance by using adhesive labels, so you can reuse them on the proper cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If your only having problems in the past six months since you switched to refilling using the German method then it’s sort of obviously what your problem is.

I would have to agree with @PeterBJ and switching back to the top fill method may not solve your problem either because the cartridge may have also been damaged. (Don’t take the chance)

These CLI-521/520 cartridges are more sensitive to refilling problems using the German method it’s very hit and miss dough, while some guys have no problems and other have loads of problems, it may seem that all these newer cartridges may not be the same as the older CLI- 521/520 were.

It would make sense to get two new sets of OEM empties and start fresh again but this time only use the top fill method and see how you go, I’d wait till I gotten the new Inks to use the new cartridges.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
If your only having problems in the past six months since you switched to refilling using the German method then it’s sort of obviously what your problem is.

I would have to agree with @PeterBJ and switching back to the top fill method may not solve your problem either because the cartridge may have also been damaged. (Don’t take the chance)

These CLI-521/520 cartridges are more sensitive to refilling problems using the German method it’s very hit and miss dough, while some guys have no problems and other have loads of problems, it may seem that all these newer cartridges may not be the same as the older CLI- 521/520 were.

It would make sense to get two new sets of OEM empties and start fresh again but this time only use the top fill method and see how you go, I’d wait till I gotten the new Inks to use the new cartridges.

Sorry guys I guess I didn't word that right. I used top fill method for the first 6 months and had problems getting a good seal at the top fill hole. So when I found the German method it was exactly what I wanted. No messin around with plugs or sealing. Just insert needle and fill with squeeze bottles. This is what Ive been doin for at least 4 1/2 years. It just struck me when u say 521/520 this is the European designation for the US versions I think???... Am I right??
Ive been refilling both 220s -221s-225s-226-s and maybe had 2 or 3 three that caused a problem. A lot of these went to other friends and they have never had a problem. Ive got a ton of OEM carts I just bought off of ebay. So I will start with a virgin set and flush and use pharmacist conditioner and then refill with new precision ink. I will try a top fill and a German fill also. STAY TUNED...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The newer European cartridges has a "5" as the first digit, and the newer American cartridges have a "2" as the first digit.

The PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges I refilled using the German method did not start causing problems with ink flow until after maybe 5 or more refills. A sponge from a cut open cartridge clearly showed needle damage:

6881_needle_damage2.jpg

This is why I recommend using the top fill method for the newer cartridges. With the "zero clearance" plugs plus aluminium tape the sealing problems with the top fill method are non-existent IMO.